Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 07:43 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,283,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I work in fast food. W/ the same company for a while. The first time around I was working there for 7 years. Never could move up because I was in a small town. They eventually fired me. I went on to work other jobs but then I moved to a bigger city and got a job back with this fast food place again. I really like my job accept for a few things here and there but really I like it and don't have a problem with any of the work. I'm used to a lot of it and know what I'm doing.

But the same thing that happened at my other job is happening here. I feel like I'm being picked on and I'm not sure why me. At this place we have a bigger crew and we all of have responsibilities (besides taking care of customers) but it all depends what shift. My shifts are mostly evenings and nights I do a lot of the cleaning and the extra stuff and help get the place stocked and ready for the next day. I'm not late, I don't ahve an attitude I just do what needs to be done. Lately ive tried to do a bit extra because I'm interested in moving up and maybe being a manager and to do that you have to go that extra mile and prove you are willing to work.

I feel like I'm doing that and more. But my problem is that my manager constantly picks on me. If she gives me a list of 20 things to do and if I don't get to the last one and do it right then she's just awful to me. She picks on me and leaves me notes that call me out. Its just really annoying. What makes me upset about it is that she complains about several people who work there who don't do anything or do as little as they have to, but then I'm actually trying to do my job and help her, get everything done but she still picks on me. To me, I feel like with these other people I work with she has bigger fish to fry but yet I still get notes and called out if something isn't done.

Like I'm on the shift before she comes in. She normally does a walk around the place to amke sure everything is clean and everything is set up. Well if anything isn't she blames me because me and the cook are one of the last ones on shift. Even though the people before me didn't do what they were supposed to do, it causes more work for me and if I don't clean it all up, then I get balmed :/ Its so frustrating.

This is more of a rant than anything else. This is the second time this is happening to me so I'm starting to feel like its me/.
In every job, there will be other employees not doing their part making more work for you. It happens everywhere. Cleanliness in restaurant work is not negotiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 05:12 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,143,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
In every job, there will be other employees not doing their part making more work for you. It happens everywhere. Cleanliness in restaurant work is not negotiable.
Yah but the problem is that if other people don’t do their work, it’s left over for me. I have my own stuff to do plus more. If they don’t do there’s and I do mine and don’t have enough time to do theirs, then I get in trouble for it because I’m the last person on shift. It all falls on me. I’m one person and it’s hard to do hours worth of build up from work on top of your own.

Like okay: you come into work, you know you have your responsibilities. Then you notice the people that came before you and have already gone home have not completed their work. You leave it, then you know you’ll get in trouble bc it’s not done. But you don’t have time to do it bc you have your own stuff to do and there aren’t enough hours in your shift to get all of it done.

That’s where I’m at

Old 03-16-2018, 04:18 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,660,615 times
Quote:
Yah but the problem is that if other people don’t do their work, it’s left over for me. I have my own stuff to do plus more. If they don’t do there’s and I do mine and don’t have enough time to do theirs, then I get in trouble for it because I’m the last person on shift. It all falls on me. I’m one person and it’s hard to do hours worth of build up from work on top of your own.

Like okay: you come into work, you know you have your responsibilities. Then you notice the people that came before you and have already gone home have not completed their work. You leave it, then you know you’ll get in trouble bc it’s not done. But you don’t have time to do it bc you have your own stuff to do and there aren’t enough hours in your shift to get all of it done.

That’s where I’m at
Can't you explain this to your supervisor and then ask her the best way to resolve it? Let her know you are concerned about the amount of tasks to be done during your shift when tasks are left over from a previous shift. Don't blame anyone else and don't whine about it. Maybe invite the manager for a quick coffee and go over her expectations of you and let her know that you are willing to make the job work.

On the other hand, as so many posters have told you, keep your eyes open for a better opportunity. Staying that long in such a position gives the appearance that you are unmotivated whether or not it is true. Since you say you have the evening shift, use a few day-time hours to seek something more to your liking. Make a list of your strong points and anything you've learned during your 7 years in fast food and parlay that experience into something better. Read move4ward's post above.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:40 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,490,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
She lives in a hotel. There is no "drop everything & go to school".
Some of her issues are her own fault. The best thing she's done is not get pregnant.

Working 7 years in fast food at the restaurant level is too long. And no one said that a person couldn't work fast food and go to school to be a dental hygienist.

One reasonable guess is that there's a cycle of poverty continuing in this case.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:52 PM

131,234 posts, read 12,278,920 times
Quote:

That’s where I’m at

That is tough, you need to chat with the manager & ask that things be inspected between shifts, don't they have a shift manager or leader?

But I also agree with the others, you seem smart enough to get a better job, don't give up on it.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:21 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,812,029 times
Quote:

That’s where I’m at

I was in this situation early in my life and learned a life lesson from it: Don't do other people's work!

I was 19 years old and had just moved away to college. I got a job at a hospital as a phlebotomist (drawing blood). Hospital across the street from campus. Decent pay. Saturday/Sunday daytime only. It was perfect.

Training took place weekdays with full time staff; most had been there many years. They were fast and efficient. I learned a lot from them.

These same folks had to rotate weekends. They-all of them-HATED weekends and it was a competition to see who could do the least amount of work. Complete 180* from weekdays. Could not believe it. We had two 15 minute breaks and 30 minutes for lunch. It was a large hospital-500+ beds plus an ER that was crazy busy all the time.

The workload was insane. This was before computers so a runner would bring the paper requisitions to the lab and time stamp them. There was a dedicated phone number for nurses to call if they had an urgent request. There was a rule that if you answered that line you were responsible to handle it or make sure someone did. Paper requisitions were sorted and hung on the wall so you could see at a glance what needed to be done. When you left the lab you wrote where you were going so if something urgent came in they would page the person nearest the urgent request.

It was so busy and I was so dedicated I started missing my breaks and lunches. I was working-unpaid-when I should have been on break/lunch. By the time it slowed down a little the cafeteria was closed. I was usually the only one there between 2:30-3:00PM until evening shift started and I was not allowed to leave any work for them. The rest of day shift left at 2:30 so I was supposed to "clean up" whatever was left. This was impossible to accomplish and still get out of work on time. The leftover requests, urgent calls, and the ER (which had top priority) were all my responsibility and it was simply not possible to do all this by myself and not leave anything for evening shift without working late.

Then I noticed something. My coworkers always managed to get their breaks and lunch. They also left work on time. They could because I was picking up their slack. They could leave at 2:30 since I was still there to clean up until 3:00.

Then I had a day that changed everything. It was near the end of the shift and I was paged by a coworker to pick up a few requests "..and I'll get the rest, then we can go home" she said. This was nothing unusual. I had an urgent request that I had just done so I needed to drop it off in the lab then go back and finish up. When I got to the lab there sat my coworker at the desk. Nothing on the board to do. She had given me ALL the work to do while she sat on her butt.

After that day my only goal from the minute I started was to leave work on time. No more going the extra mile. Take lunch no matter what. I would time my final round so i would get back to the lab at 3:00PM just in time to clock out. Urgent phone line ringing? I ignored it. Paged while doing my final round? Sorry, didn't get it. Leftover requests? Don't care. I'm leaving.

I hated working like this. I lasted six months. Lied and told them it was because of school.

Learned about workplace politics. Don't work for free. Don't do other's work for them. The lazy will always be lazy. Look out for yourself first.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:09 PM

It’s been stressful lately. Customers here aren’t as nice as the ones at my old job. I like working at McDonalds. Its not always so bad. I just get stressed, thats all. I wish I were treated better by managers and customers. But I dont know. Hopefully someday I can do something different. I want to be a lawyer and help families. And just dedicate my life to that. But until then I’ll just do my best here.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Some of her issues are her own fault. The best thing she's done is not get pregnant.

Working 7 years in fast food at the restaurant level is too long. And no one said that a person couldn't work fast food and go to school to be a dental hygienist.

One reasonable guess is that there's a cycle of poverty continuing in this case.
You know that’s kind of a mean thing to say. I know that I’m poor. I’m reminded of it all the time. But I barely get any money from the state bc I’m single with no kids. I work and pay for everything I have. I work like crazy. I want to go to school but it’s expensive. I also have a learning disorder and I did graduate high school but I was in a class with students with learning problems. Theres another reason why but I won’t share here but there’s other reasons why I have trouble learning. I think I am capable and I’m not trying to make excuses, but it is what it is.

I don’t want to be poor lol. It sucks but I have tried to move up. It’s just hard to get jobs, at least it is for me

Old 04-02-2018, 04:50 PM

7,996 posts, read 5,423,921 times
Quote:
... I want to be a lawyer and help families. And just dedicate my life to that. But until then I’ll just do my best here.
What is your plan to get there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment