Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 05:28 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,958,032 times

Advertisements

You're confused because you think you have to "go that extra mile and prove you are willing to work."

You actually have to consistently go that extra mile and work hard and meet your metrics (what they expect of you is 100%).

There's a difference.

Just because you're "willing to be on the clock" isn't a positive trait if your work is not meeting expectations - in fact it's worse. They're paying you and not getting what they paid for.

My suggestion is you have her come TO WORK and watch you do your close up duties. Perhaps she has no clue.

Or is it you? Maybe she can coach you.

Why aren't you able to do those duties on point? Since you say... if I don't clean it all up,

Why aren't you cleaning it all up?

Yeah, I'm familiar with that issue but it still begs the question.

Or change shifts and let someone else do the closing shift.

If YOU were the manager and came in to open, and saw the kitchen still dirty how would YOU feel and what would YOU do? And how do you know she's not complaining to others?

And if it's OTHER PEOPLE not doing their job then say so. What is hard about that?

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-11-2018 at 05:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 08:15 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,153,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Every executive at McDonalds worked their way up.

EVERY major corporation has a career path.
The typical way those execs to work their way up was through college and those corporate office jobs. If any execs worked fast food, it was not for 7 straight years. In most cases, it was just a way to pay some bills while in college.

I worked in fast food a month and quit and got a clerical job paying 4 times more.

My siblings worked in retail, while in college also. They never went back, after their degree. All of us climbed our way out by quitting those jobs within a short time not staying for an 8th year.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:56 AM

11,312 posts, read 19,700,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I work in fast food. W/ the same company for a while. The first time around I was working there for 7 years. Never could move up because I was in a small town. They eventually fired me. I went on to work other jobs but then I moved to a bigger city and got a job back with this fast food place again. I really like my job accept for a few things here and there but really I like it and don't have a problem with any of the work. I'm used to a lot of it and know what I'm doing.

But the same thing that happened at my other job is happening here. I feel like I'm being picked on and I'm not sure why me. At this place we have a bigger crew and we all of have responsibilities (besides taking care of customers) but it all depends what shift. My shifts are mostly evenings and nights I do a lot of the cleaning and the extra stuff and help get the place stocked and ready for the next day. I'm not late, I don't ahve an attitude I just do what needs to be done. Lately ive tried to do a bit extra because I'm interested in moving up and maybe being a manager and to do that you have to go that extra mile and prove you are willing to work.

I feel like I'm doing that and more. But my problem is that my manager constantly picks on me. If she gives me a list of 20 things to do and if I don't get to the last one and do it right then she's just awful to me. She picks on me and leaves me notes that call me out. Its just really annoying. What makes me upset about it is that she complains about several people who work there who don't do anything or do as little as they have to, but then I'm actually trying to do my job and help her, get everything done but she still picks on me. To me, I feel like with these other people I work with she has bigger fish to fry but yet I still get notes and called out if something isn't done.

Like I'm on the shift before she comes in. She normally does a walk around the place to amke sure everything is clean and everything is set up. Well if anything isn't she blames me because me and the cook are one of the last ones on shift. Even though the people before me didn't do what they were supposed to do, it causes more work for me and if I don't clean it all up, then I get balmed :/ Its so frustrating.

This is more of a rant than anything else. This is the second time this is happening to me so I'm starting to feel like its me/.
Do you get annual performance reviews where you meet with the manager?

My suggestion is you scehdule an appointment with your manager and talk about these issues with her. NOT on the floor in the middle of the shift, or at the end of a shift. Sitting down in a quiet place. Make notes to keep your thoughts on what you want to say. Keep your statements factual and unemotional.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:57 AM

140 posts, read 72,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
The typical way those execs to work their way up was through college and those corporate office jobs. If any execs worked fast food, it was not for 7 straight years. In most cases, it was just a way to pay some bills while in college.

I worked in fast food a month and quit and got a clerical job paying 4 times more.

My siblings worked in retail, while in college also. They never went back, after their degree. All of us climbed our way out by quitting those jobs within a short time not staying for an 8th year.
exactly. You and Serious Conversation are right on

Old 03-11-2018, 03:47 PM

13,300 posts, read 8,527,441 times
OP: Thank you for doing your tasks. Sorry to read of your managers style of ineptness. Met a few that kept a stick in their eye.
Stop the Over doing or even expecting fair treatment. It's not going to happen. I suggest putting blinders on when it comes to this managers attitude. Plow on in your tasks. And ease up ...you like what you do and that is golden in today's work place.
Be the alpha in your life. No one else will have your back....so best to keep it away from the wall or open to attack by management.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:52 PM

2,246 posts, read 2,423,045 times
I agree with some of the other posters. The type of people who work at these low-end jobs don't have much education and and don't know how to act professionally. The only way they feel important is picking on others at work.. I would try not to take this too personally.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:27 PM

95 posts, read 89,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I agree with Penny4YourThoughts. That's just life in the fast food industry.

These fast food managers have their own little kingdom at work. It's the only power that they have ever had. They are happy to use it.

Since you are in a bigger city, it may be time to look at other opportunities like an office job. I find office work to be less stressful than fast food.
Yes but also much harder to get. The only somewhat easy office jobs to platform from fast food with out a degree would be call centers which are usually insanely hard work mentally with bosses from the depths of hell. Receptionist jobs now are harder to find and want 5 years experience.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:19 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,153,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foster913 View Post
Yes but also much harder to get. The only somewhat easy office jobs to platform from fast food with out a degree would be call centers which are usually insanely hard work mentally with bosses from the depths of hell. Receptionist jobs now are harder to find and want 5 years experience.
After a month at Taco Bell, I landed a one-month job as a file clerk in a Fortune 500 employer. I was tested for typing speed and some basic Microsoft Office skills.

I had fast typing skills(60 WPM) that I picked up from chatting online. The file clerk job was much easier than a call center job. I wasn't involved in typing much, except to let my manager know when I would be off.

After I landed the one-month assignment, I continued to work at Taco Bell on the weekends for 16 hours a week.

After 2 weeks of filing, the huge stacks of files were only half as tall. The manager put in a request to HR to convert me to perm. I accepted. I continued to work at Taco Bell until HR finished their paper work. I gave 2 weeks notice and split on Taco Bell.

Taco Bell paid $99 a week for 20 hours a week at $5/hr. The file clerk job paid $8.50/hr full time job for $330 week.

My weekly salary increased over 230% from $99 to $330. At the time, I didn't even have a car. I took the city bus to both jobs, until I went perm.

It was real boring job. They had various temps come and go, due to the boredom and lack of career growth. I was just excited to make $330 week, while living in the shelter. I saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

After 8 months, I moved into decrepit efficiency apartment. At long last, I didn't have to worry about other residents stealing my dinner. I had my own fridge, my own toilet, and my own food.

After 5 years of bouncing around from call center to shipping clerk, I started working on Microsoft Access to keep track of the shipments of consumer loans. I automated some of the shipping processes by creating mailing labels and file labels from the MS Access database. It paid $11/hr or $440/month.

I got laid off during the great recession of 2008-09. I got a business analyst job to make Microsoft Access reports full time for consumer loans I went from $440/week to $50k/year.

I worked there for a while and got laid off again. I worked on a SQL certification. Next time, I had 2 employers looking to hire me for $68k+10% bonus and $75k no bonus as a counter offer.

At each job, I would search online for the answers to how to do things. I didn't want to pester the boss for little things, that I could google.

You are right, there was no way anybody was hiring a short homeless bum for a receptionist job. Nothing wrong with being a file clerk and staying away from the public.

Now, I make over $120k year without a degree working on SQL stuff. That's not too shabby for guy that used to bathe in public restrooms with paper towels and the sink.

Last edited by move4ward; 03-12-2018 at 05:32 PM..

Old 03-15-2018, 06:53 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,490,555 times
OP-You need to not work at McDonald's. You've worked there long enough. You might want to think about going to trade school to be a medical assistant or dental hygenist. Better jobs that don't require a college education.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:39 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,283,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
OP-You need to not work at McDonald's. You've worked there long enough. You might want to think about going to trade school to be a medical assistant or dental hygenist. Better jobs that don't require a college education.
She lives in a hotel. There is no "drop everything & go to school".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment