Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 09:31 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times

Advertisements

Saying all temp agencies are a scam is reckless and false. Even if many of them tend to be good for the companies but not employees, it still doesn't mean that there aren't some agencies that help employees and get them through a time of otherwise unemployment.

Of the two I can think of that I've dealt with, I'd give one a 4 star rating (out of 5), and the other a 3. I encountered no major issues; just some minor annoyances.

Horrible experiences are mostly due to the particular area and region where the commenters live. Some employees also have a chip on their shoulder and expect temp agencies to be more on their side; not understanding that the agencies are paid by the companies (not the employees). Of course they are going to be paying attention to them more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 10:21 AM

901 posts, read 747,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Everything the OP has said about temp agencies is true.

My opinions on this subject won't change.
data > your opinion

Old 05-09-2018, 10:33 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,622 times
OK so what about the 5 temps we hired on Monday from Ranstad to clear our urgent backlog that turned into 3 people by Tuesday because they didn't turn up. We don't know where they are and they haven't returned our phone calls. We've got work here and the temps won't take it. Get a grip people.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:29 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
OK so what about the 5 temps we hired on Monday from Ranstad to clear our urgent backlog that turned into 3 people by Tuesday because they didn't turn up. .
They probably got hired for a perm job and didn't want to waste anymore time with temping.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I never let staffing agency recruiters connect to me on LinkedIN. I don't take their calls either. Fortunately, I switched my cell number so I no longer have to listen to their pitches for $15 an hour no benefits chemist jobs. I would not post your telephone number on your resume/profile if you decide to upload it. Just put a disposable email down. This will save you from a lot of MLMers and scammers as well.
I get a lot of e-mails from south Asian timewasters...oops, I mean "recruiters." I report it as spam every time and it keeps rolling in. I'm going to set up a new e-mail address and let my current one become a spam dumpster.

They call occasionally. If the number is from New Jersey or Illinois, I let it roll directly to VM. Lately they've been spoofing with 817 area code numbers, though...that's Fort Worth.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:14 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
OK so what about the 5 temps we hired on Monday from Ranstad to clear our urgent backlog that turned into 3 people by Tuesday because they didn't turn up. We don't know where they are and they haven't returned our phone calls. We've got work here and the temps won't take it. Get a grip people.
They are treating the job as disposable as the company treats them. Obviously they decided the job wasn't worth their time and no commitment works both ways.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
data > your opinion
What data?

Old 05-09-2018, 12:43 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
When I was young, I took a few temp jobs through an agency, it paid the bills & I kept a roof over my head, so I am not complaining. Of course I would have preferred a better job, but until I got one, they had a purpose.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:49 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They probably got hired for a perm job and didn't want to waste anymore time with temping.
So why did they try to come and temp for us? I'll tell you what they're doing, they're complaining no one's giving them work while sitting they're on their butts doing.... nothin'.

Quote:
They are treating the job as disposable as the company treats them. Obviously they decided the job wasn't worth their time and no commitment works both ways.
To be honest, now you say it, I completely agree. The situation was pretty bad for them. They were asked to login to their computers, watch friendly Powerpoint presentations, and drink free beverages in an air conditioned office all day, and get paid for it all at the same time! What kind of MONSTER would do that to someone?? Hopefully we don't get sued for their PTSD or something...

Old 05-09-2018, 01:06 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:

They are generally not an efficient use of your time and often not a source for desirable jobs as their clients are often as scummy as they are.
I worked through 2 temp agencies, Kelly and Manpower.

My Kelly Services job was correcting standardized essay tests in writing. It was my first job out of college and I got to put the fact that I had a B.A. in English down as a credential for the 1st time. 5 days a week, FT, and we worked out of a spare classroom at RPI. I did that job during the Spring and Summer of 2000, after which I got a job in a bank.

My Manpower job I had for 10 years, 2003-2012, although it didn't start out as a Manpower job. When Fleet Bank, which was the original project head, was bought out by Bank of America, that's when Manpower was brought in. They really only handled the payroll and employee information - the project managers retained the right to hire and fire as she saw fit. I did data entry, keying in tax forms that had been rejected by the system for some reason or another. We had at one time 4 different contracts going - NYS Corp Tax, IFTA, NYS Income Tax, and NYS Sales Tax. My mom used to work in the section that sorted out the NYS Income Tax forms as they were received in the mail. She got me to apply for that job, and when they found out that I had had banking experience (which meant I needed to be quick and accurate with the transactions) HR practically forced me to take the test for the data entry job, and I got a perfect score.

I enjoyed that job, because it was in addition to my FT day job (I was with the steel company I still work for by this time), and it was almost exactly across the street from my day job. The only drawback was that I was working 60-70 hours a week, so my time wasn't my own. I used to sleep in my car during my lunch hour at the day job, because I was working solid from 8 AM to 11 PM, M-F, plus occasional Saturday or Sunday if they offered extra hours. But I was making very good $$$; the pay was almost identical to my day wages. Unfortunately, the switch to online filing pretty much killed off every contract they had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment