Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:59 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Mine especially. It hurts the good companies that hire chemists as well as a lot of the good and experienced ones have left the profession over this crap.
Temping does seem to degrade every industry it touches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 10:12 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
the stat sounds good... at 25%+ hired rate

the rest would be people that did poorly,
That is a pathetic rate. 75% of people are not poor performers and in my profession noone would turn down an offer to remain a temp. Temp agencies rob them blind. As I said, a lot of people I know quit the profession because they were sick of being parasitized by agencies.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
That is a pathetic rate. 75% of people are not poor performers and in my profession noone would turn down an offer to remain a temp. .
I've never seen anyone turn down a perm job to take something temp.

It's interesting to note that the people who sing the praises of the temp industry are not temps themselves - they are employers who exploit temps. Which isn't even relevant to the OP's point, about how temping affects the individuals themselves, not the businesses they work for. I'm pretty sure temp agencies put their clients needs first so the businesses aren't as negatively impacted by their shady dealings. It's the worker who suffers.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:32 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
That is a pathetic rate. 75% of people are not poor performers and in my profession noone would turn down an offer to remain a temp. Temp agencies rob them blind. As I said, a lot of people I know quit the profession because they were sick of being parasitized by agencies.

Haha, yeah they are. Or close to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

It's interesting to note that the people who sing the praises of the temp industry are not temps themselves - they are employers who exploit temps. Which isn't even relevant to the OP's point, about how temping affects the individuals themselves, not the businesses they work for. I'm pretty sure temp agencies put their clients needs first so the businesses aren't as negatively impacted by their shady dealings. It's the worker who suffers.
I have been a temp several times. Mostly with Ranstad. Loved it. It allowed me to explore and get my foot in the door in several industries and roles. Both times that I wanted to stay it developed into a F/T direct hire with the organization.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

I have been a temp several times. Mostly with Ranstad. Loved it. It allowed me to explore and get my foot in the door in several industries and roles. Both times that I wanted to stay it developed into a F/T direct hire with the organization.
Anecdotal.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:42 PM

171 posts, read 146,082 times
Ahhh...Temp agencies can be a blessing for a desperate person and a curse for someone trying to move forward and get the big bucks, been there done that, Temp agencies treat you like ants as well as the employers, your expendable and dont matter to them.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Mine especially. It hurts the good companies that hire chemists as well as a lot of the good and experienced ones have left the profession over this crap.
I think you and I are over the same barrel...the OPT/H1B/L1 barrel.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:27 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:

I was a Manpower 'Temp' for eight years recently. I would still be one today if my wife was not seriously ill with cancer. I was also a 30 year Teamster with a pension and I really did not need to work. At 71 years old working was my 'exercise program'; it kept me in shape. I also seriously doubted if other employers would have offered me full time employment at my age.

However; this does not make me a 'Temp' advocate. I have watched too many bright, young, workers lose faith in the system because of their temp status that never changes. Many have risen to the occasion and gave their all only to eventually feel like only a number. That is my biggest complaint because it makes employees feel 'replaceable' - they have no rights and no reason to believe in a brighter future.

Manpower stock went from from about $12.50 a share in 1991 to $126/share last year (it is presently trading lower at about $96/share). Obviously this system is not changing. We need laws that state if you work for the same employer for a set length of time that the employers must put you on full time.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:18 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:
Anecdotal.
But your broad statements about how all temping is terrible is an unquestioned law of the Universe, right?

I've had nearly all good experiences with temp / placement firms. So have millions of others. But your bad experience negates all of that. Gotcha

Old 05-10-2018, 03:39 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Anecdotal.

As are all personal experiences, but my experiences are valid, and they weren't a scam, so therefore, the premise of the thread is incorrect. Hypothesis testing at its finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment