Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 01:37 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
To be honest, now you say it, I completely agree. The situation was pretty bad for them. They were asked to login to their computers, watch friendly Powerpoint presentations, and drink free beverages in an air conditioned office all day, and get paid for it all at the same time! What kind of MONSTER would do that to someone?? Hopefully we don't get sued for their PTSD or something...
And again it wasn't worth it for them. The pay and benefits offered by the temp agency (and knowing temp agencies it was little or no benefits and very poor pay) was not sufficient to attract and retain an acceptable level of worker for you. Either they got better jobs, decided to devote their time to seeking a better job, or just decided it wasn't worth waking up in the morning and commuting for.

Staffing agencies are the employer of last resort. You should expect that any workers from them will jump ship the minute they get something better and just about anything is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 03:53 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
And again it wasn't worth it for them. The pay and benefits offered by the temp agency (and knowing temp agencies it was little or no benefits and very poor pay) was not sufficient to attract and retain an acceptable level of worker for you. Either they got better jobs, decided to devote their time to seeking a better job, or just decided it wasn't worth waking up in the morning and commuting for.

Staffing agencies are the employer of last resort. You should expect that any workers from them will jump ship the minute they get something better and just about anything is.
I agree. I get a laugh out of employers who get mad when temps quit their jobs.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:46 PM

Yea I had a really obnoxious one a few weeks back for a pharmaceutical chemist with a laundry list of qualifications for a 6 month contract that may go for 8 months or more for arround $25 an hour and they were demanding candidates commit for at least 8 months. Uh no. No one not desperate with those qualifications will work at all for that and expecting them to stay for 8 months is just complete stupidity. They will stay until they get a direct position.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:54 AM

119 posts, read 95,535 times
Not really. They help you find a job. They get their cut. True, a lot of the "jobs" they send you to are not very good.

Last one started me out $10 an hour but now I'm all the way up to $18/hr now at this one factory. It's worked out grreattt.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I agree. I get a laugh out of employers who get mad when temps quit their jobs.
Right???

That said, I segued into my current career via a temp job. Then again, they were one of the main agencies for a particular massive company in that city and they handled all their temp contracts in a couple of specific departments...so if you wanted a temp/hourly worker, you went through that company.

A friend of a friend actually reached out to me, told me what their needs were, and asked if I thought I could handle it. My exact words were "how hard could it be?"

13 years later here I am in that same career making over six figures.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:27 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That said, I segued into my current career via a temp job. Then again, they were one of the main agencies for a particular massive company in that city and they handled all their temp contracts in a couple of specific departments...so if you wanted a temp/hourly worker, you went through that company.

A friend of a friend actually reached out to me, told me what their needs were, and asked if I thought I could handle it. My exact words were "how hard could it be?"

13 years later here I am in that same career making over six figures.
That's great but it;s anecdotal. You also should realize lots of things have changed in the temp industry over the past decade, especially after the long recession years.

And nobody here ever said it was "impossible" to get a perm job through temping.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's great but it;s anecdotal. You also should realize lots of things have changed in the temp industry over the past decade, especially after the long recession years.

And nobody here ever said it was "impossible" to get a perm job through temping.
Trust me, I get it. I'm seeing my own profession ruined by temping/contractors.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:35 AM

Some companies do hire their temp/contractors but they are a distinct minority. Most just treat them as second class citizens

The WE Upjohn Institute for Employment Research found 27 of temp to hire jobs and 18% of contract jobs overall lead to direct employment. Those are not good odds. I would leave contract/temp/staffing agencies as a last resort and continue seeking employment full effort and leave the second you get it.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Trust me, I get it. I'm seeing my own profession ruined by temping/contractors.
Mine especially. It hurts the good companies that hire chemists as well as a lot of the good and experienced ones have left the profession over this crap.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:49 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Some companies do hire their temp/contractors but they are a distinct minority. Most just treat them as second class citizens

The WE Upjohn Institute for Employment Research found 27 of temp to hire jobs and 18% of contract jobs overall lead to direct employment. Those are not good odds. I would leave contract/temp/staffing agencies as a last resort and continue seeking employment full effort and leave the second you get it.
the stat sounds good... at 25%+ hired rate

the rest would be people that did poorly, people who were offered the job but turned them down and positions that really are temp so they would not offer a full time spot for

about 1/4 in each of those categories is a pretty even split and after accounting the offers that were made but turned down, they would be offering a job to nearly half the contract workers

about the rate i seen for agency workers here, half the time they are offered a job but most turn it down since they have their next contract and would rather go there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment