Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 06:46 AM

669 posts, read 583,800 times

Advertisements

Interviewed for a sales job....website building. It was a good interview but at the end of it she asks all applicants to make a video on “why” she should hire them. Seriously? Really not comfortable making a video that will likely get passed around. Not going to be heartbroken if I don’t get an offer either.

Anyone ever had to video themself to send to an interviewer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 06:50 AM

9,426 posts, read 8,401,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Interviewed for a sales job....website building. It was a good interview but at the end of it she asks all applicants to make a video on “why” she should hire them. Seriously? Really not comfortable making a video that will likely get passed around. Not going to be heartbroken if I don’t get an offer either.

No! I mean, I've had to Skype before but not record a video. I can sort of see how they'd want to see how you present yourself in a sales job but yeah, that would probably make me feel uncomfortable as well as I'm not a producer and would probably foul it up somehow.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:59 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,396,205 times
Quote:

I did. I didn't bother wasting my time ... mostly b/c if you are going to judge me, judge me AT the interview not before. At least give me a fair shot.

I'm white & a woman of 'child-bearing' age... so that is already working against me. I'd like to keep that a mystery a bit until I get to the interview.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:32 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,667,654 times
Quote:
Interviewed for a sales job....website building. It was a good interview but at the end of it she asks all applicants to make a video on “why” she should hire them. Seriously? Really not comfortable making a video that will likely get passed around.
How do you know "all" applicants were asked? Was this some kind of group interview?

And why would you care about it being "passed around"?

I think that's a pretty good test. Someone who can produce a viewable video in which they can articulate some ideas in a fairly short time-frame has some obvious useful qualities. Part of my job includes in-person meetings, demonstrations and talks to groups, webinars, etc. I didn't have anything like this in the interview process, but they sure ladled it on in various training classes! Stuff like, "Here's a topic, you have one minute to think about it then present to the group". While being recorded

Old 07-26-2018, 03:37 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,191,292 times
Quote:
Interviewed for a sales job....website building. It was a good interview but at the end of it she asks all applicants to make a video on “why” she should hire them. Seriously?

Sounds like a most excellent way to weed out non-starters.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I did. I didn't bother wasting my time ... mostly b/c if you are going to judge me, judge me AT the interview not before. At least give me a fair shot.

I'm white & a woman of 'child-bearing' age... so that is already working against me. I'd like to keep that a mystery a bit until I get to the interview.
My thought too. Plus...I am not a kid....probably 8 years older than the gal who interviewed me. We met face to face yesterday.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
How do you know "all" applicants were asked? Was this some kind of group interview?

And why would you care about it being "passed around"?

I think that's a pretty good test. Someone who can produce a viewable video in which they can articulate some ideas in a fairly short time-frame has some obvious useful qualities. Part of my job includes in-person meetings, demonstrations and talks to groups, webinars, etc. I didn't have anything like this in the interview process, but they sure ladled it on in various training classes! Stuff like, "Here's a topic, you have one minute to think about it then present to the group". While being recorded
She TOLD ME that all applicants are required to video themselves. I have 30 YEARS in B2B sales. The position is more entry level IMHO.

“Being recorded” in a training class is one thing....While I can understand having to make a presentation to demo skills...I think it is interesting to expect a sales pitch to pitch for the job. ....frankly...a job I don’t really want.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:03 PM

62 posts, read 50,846 times
If I had just had an interview with the person asking, I would be very confused why they would ask for something like that. After all, the whole point on the interview should have been to convey that point to the interviewer.

I would politely decline and tell the person that if I have not managed to convey why I am the right person for the job by now, I doubt a video is going to accomplish that.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to work for a company who played games with candidates like that, but perhaps it is just a "sales" thing?

Old 07-26-2018, 04:16 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,750,122 times
Quote:

OMG The job market is great. Tell them you wouldn't do a recorded interview, but are happy to come in for a second round.. Odd...super odd. Maybe they want you to do sales videos. I hope so, otherwise they are weird. Maybe you should contact them and ask why the odd request.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:34 PM

674 posts, read 609,823 times
I would tell them to go pound sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment