Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:20 AM

405 posts, read 257,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
Nope... but I do make more than those working McJobs. It's pretty easy to work 100 hours in a week when you make $50+ in OT.

Keep hating bro...

It was a joke, silly man. Your typo said you make 80,000 an hour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 09:26 AM

405 posts, read 257,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I also think 'awful' is pretty subjective. Personally I had some very rough years when I was in my 20s. The fact that I have a job working only 40-50 hours/week, it's steady, reliable, I don't have to worry about losing my home, don't have to worry about my personal safety, going to jail, living on the street, etc. means I really don't have a lot to complain about.

Purely my opinion, but I think a lot of people have lived such good lives that they don't realize how good they actually have things. Any job with a reliable paycheck that is in safe conditions isn't all that bad, all things considered. I've seen people who have office jobs working only 50 hours/week complain as if they are working in hell. You're working in an office all day, for only 50 hours/week for money that supports your family. It could be a LOT worse.

Look at what people did in the good old days. A friend of mine was telling me about his dad - worked in an iron foundry. 120 degrees in there all day. He'd come home black from head to toe, drenched in sweat, take a shower and mow the lawn before dinner. Did that for 30 years. Even today, look at the guys doing roadwork in 90 degree heat, the electricians climbing around in attics in the middle of summer, the guys on power poles working around the clock to restore power after an ice storm. Putting up with office gossip in an air conditioned office sounds pretty sweet - compared..

Old 08-16-2018, 09:37 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
If there were a place where they pay you to go someplace you liked, it'd be full already.
I believe those places are called “successful tech companies in Silicon Valley” where you walk in the building and it looks more like an amusement park than an office. Massive effort really went into making those working environments awesome. Problem is most people don’t have the credentials to work at these places.

The rest of us get boring depressing bare minimum open space offices and folks wonder why working becomes very mundane quickly.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:42 AM

326 posts, read 199,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
It was a joke, silly man. Your typo said you make 80,000 an hour
Oh my bad... When I said $80k hourly I meant $80k yearly working hourly... LOL

Definitely wouldn't be doing the stupid amounts of OT I do on salary. Having a job I enjoy in an environment that is chill and laid back makes that and everything else much easier.

Cheers.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:51 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,778,472 times
Quote:
What exactly do you think 'sociopath' means?
Dunno - what do YOU think it means?

Actually I DO know and the poster to whom you were responding clearly knows as well. Granted, they don't call them "sociopaths" any more, they want folks to use the more PC and far less descriptive (and wrong) term "Antisocial Personality Disorder" = which makes it sound like they're a bunch of extreme introverts.

No. They are dangerously unbalanced SOCIOPATHS. Perfect term, describes them well. And they are rife throughout the ranks of management. Sociopaths make excellent corporate execs because they are such sharks, totally ruthless underneath a thin veneer of charm. Most sociopaths are not serial killers, but they are serial abusers. As long as they think they can get away with it - and climbing the corporate ladder is absolutely their perfect environment, at least it is for the smarter ones.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:55 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
I also think 'awful' is pretty subjective. Personally I had some very rough years when I was in my 20s. The fact that I have a job working only 40-50 hours/week, it's steady, reliable, I don't have to worry about losing my home, don't have to worry about my personal safety, going to jail, living on the street, etc. means I really don't have a lot to complain about.

Purely my opinion, but I think a lot of people have lived such good lives that they don't realize how good they actually have things. Any job with a reliable paycheck that is in safe conditions isn't all that bad, all things considered. I've seen people who have office jobs working only 50 hours/week complain as if they are working in hell. You're working in an office all day, for only 50 hours/week for money that supports your family. It could be a LOT worse.
A lot of it is mentality I think.

I used to go this Burger King drive through, and there was this guy working there, maybe late 40s/early 50s, and I just remember he was always so happy, so thorough with his customer service and friendliness. I figured maybe he was an ex-con, addict, homeless and had been given a second chance. And was just so glad he had it.

The people on here who love their jobs often have jobs that don't sound that inspiring. They might like what they do, but it's never like Veternarian, or movie producer, or orthopedic doc for the NY Giants when I ask. Incidentally, I know a lot of doctors, a job that pays well, and supposedly have a lot of meaning, and most of them dislike their jobs.

Do you change your mentality, or do you change your career and possibly cost yourself tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to end up in a similar spot?

There's no easy answers...

Old 08-16-2018, 11:03 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Dunno - what do YOU think it means?

Actually I DO know and the poster to whom you were responding clearly knows as well. Granted, they don't call them "sociopaths" any more, they want folks to use the more PC and far less descriptive (and wrong) term "Antisocial Personality Disorder" = which makes it sound like they're a bunch of extreme introverts.

No. They are dangerously unbalanced SOCIOPATHS. Perfect term, describes them well. And they are rife throughout the ranks of management. Sociopaths make excellent corporate execs because they are such sharks, totally ruthless underneath a thin veneer of charm. Most sociopaths are not serial killers, but they are serial abusers. As long as they think they can get away with it - and climbing the corporate ladder is absolutely their perfect environment, at least it is for the smarter ones.
You described a subset of all people, not just management or execs. Look at how many people on this forum advocate lying on resumes, skipping out early as long as their boss doesn't know, doing as little as possible, and basically doing whatever it takes to do as little as possible, regardless of how dishonest it is.

Funny how we claim execs are 'sociopaths', but then find ways to justify lower ranked people doing terrible things.

Also, 'sociopath' is a wrong term. It isn't even a valid medical term.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:04 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,290,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I am one that has a difficult time finding a great company to work for. I have very low expectations after having two nightmare jobs. Early in my career I had great luck with all of my jobs. There may have been a thing or two that didn't jive, but overall a great workplace.

I had one job that I was bullied by my boss and coworkers HR wouldn't step in. It was an incredibly toxic environment that still gives me hives. I left that job for another horrible job. This one my boss set me up as the fall guy for her mistakes. She never trained me and never had 1:1's with me. Truly bizarre.

I found a job I have been at for six years. I was thrilled up until last year with this job. There were certain areas I didn't like, but overall one of the best jobs I have had. We have an entire new C-Suite that is beyond horrific. So now, looking for my next gig.

It's depressing to be in this situation. All I want is a steady job I can count on for the next twenty or so years. From many people in my circle, they are too. You hit a certain age and it seems impossible to have job security.
This is 2018, that is an entirely unrealistic expectation. Expect to work at least several different companies within the next 20 years.

How much research did you do before you accepted any of those jobs on the company? Did you talk to people who already worked there? Did you look at comments about the company in places like Glassdoor and Indeed? You have to set your sights higher. People who work at the better places don't find themselves there by accident, they sought them out and worked towards getting in the door.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:13 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,290,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Like any person with a bachelors degree from a pretty good school, I thought in my 20s I could make a lot of $ in the corporate world with very little effort.
Like any person? No, that's not a commonly held belief by successful people. Where in the world did you get that impression that simply because you got a degree from a good school that employers would come along and dump money in your lap? That's crazy, you don't want a doctor who just graduated medical school, you want someone with a track record of success before they operate on you. So do businesses.

Sorry, but that's your fault too, because did you do any research? Did you actually talk with people who had those degrees that were working doing exactly what you expected? I doubt it, because you prefer to live in a fantasy that all you need to do is one action and you are set for life. Life is never like that and it never was.

People looking for a life goal to "just get by" often never obtain anything further than that, because that's their life goal. You are going to go exactly where you are headed even if you have no direction.

You can take charge of your life, but that requires effort and it is much easier to blame others because you have a lot of company of people who do that. Easier to sit on the couch with a big bang of chips and your beer watching sports, than actually improve your skills or spend your time finding a better situation.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:18 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Because there are people in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment