Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 02:44 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The secret is not to have kids. Maybe a wife/husband and dog with a standard 100-150k house. Thats it. Less of an expense associated and you are in a position to call more of your own shots. You don't have to provide for a ton of people. Power is when you have nothing or just the basics. . Or you have a lot. When you don't have much you don't care. You have power because you don't care. And the key is take the power out of the employer's hands

If its just two working adults and a pet, you are in a position to call more of your own shots
I agree. I think people are on automatic--not thinking things through. What is success? What is power? What do you want? What do you value? What do you really need? I always knew I would live a lower maintenance life. I'm perfectly happy w/ my old, but reliable car, my small square footage place, etc. I never needed a lot. I was "lucky" that way. I consider it a blessing anyways. I guess it's about decisions and what you value. American culture, too... A lot of people are living someone else's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 02:52 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,919,501 times
Quote:
Sure I would do the same thing. I can make millions to run a company into the ground. Hell hire me, Ill run your company into the ground for a TENTH of the price these corporate clowns are asking. . I don't need millions to do it
Then go ahead and put in the 70-80 hours/week for 30 years that it takes to work your way up to being the CEO of a fortune 500 company.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:54 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Then go ahead and put in the 70-80 hours/week for 30 years that it takes to work your way up to being the CEO of a fortune 500 company.

Why would I need to put in 70-80 hours/week to get a few million dollars at a F500 company exactly?

I can throw a few million dollar bonus in my bank account in a year or two after I run everything into the ground? My point is it makes NO SENSE at all. CEOs shouldn't be thrown millions in a year regardless of success or failure. But under your logic there is a "risk" involved with that. ROFLMAO.

Nope.. No risk at all. I got millions if Im a success. I got millions if Im failure. Regardless.... I still got millions

Old 08-18-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Why would I need to put in 70-80 hours/week to get a few million dollars at a F500 company exactly?

I can throw a few million dollar bonus in my bank account in a year or two after I run everything into the ground? My point is it makes NO SENSE at all. CEOs shouldn't be thrown millions in a year regardless of success or failure. But under your logic there is a "risk" involved with that. ROFLMAO.

Nope.. No risk at all. I got millions if Im a success. I got millions if Im failure. Regardless.... I still got millions
If it doesn't make sense, what's your solution? You seem to know better than anyone else.

Who would take on the risk of being the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company, along with the insane hours, and the simple fact that you'll be out of work for life if you fail for low pay?

Old 08-18-2018, 03:00 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:

Your point makes no sense.

Most CEOs aren’t failures. Most F500 companies do well. That is because they generally appoint competent people to run their companies. Yes, sometimes the companies don’t succeed, and that may be the fault of the CEO.

Appointing you would be another matter entirely. You don’t have the knowledge or experience to be successful, so you would almost certainly fail.

Do you see the difference? CEOs are paid large amounts of money because they are likely to succeed. Why should anybody pat you large amounts of money when you are likely to fail?

Old 08-18-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Your point makes no sense.

Most CEOs aren’t failures. Most F500 companies do well. That is because they generally appoint competent people to run their companies. Yes, sometimes the companies don’t succeed, and that may be the fault of the CEO.

Appointing you would be another matter entirely. You don’t have the knowledge or experience to be successful, so you would almost certainly fail.

Do you see the difference? CEOs are paid large amounts of money because they are likely to succeed. Why should anybody pat you large amounts of money when you are likely to fail?
Some CEOs aren't failures but the last 2 I worked for WERE. They made millions regardless. They laid off 60 percent of the workforce (Most all veterans) hired cheap employees and walked away with millions in bonus money and stock options and more than HALVED the value of the company.

Theres no difference. Like I said. You get MILLIONS whether you know what you're doing and run a successful or get millions even if every decision you make TANKS the company. They're millionaires and set regardless.

All you have to do is just WEASLE your way into the position then you can call all of the shots.

Most of the only CEOS that should be respected are the owners the built it from the ground up. The rest of the clowns that just happen to take over an already successful business don't deserve much respect or props unless they built upon that

Old 08-18-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Some CEOs aren't failures but the last 2 I worked for WERE. They made millions regardless. They laid off 60 percent of the workforce (Most all veterans) hired cheap employees and walked away with millions in bonus money and stock options and more than HALVED the value of the company.

Theres no difference. Like I said. You get MILLIONS whether you know what you're doing and run a successful or get millions even if every decision you make TANKS the company. They're millionaires and set regardless.

All you have to do is just WEASLE your way into the position then you can call all of the shots.

Most of the only CEOS that should be respected are the owners the built it from the ground up. The rest of the clowns that just happen to take over an already successful business don't deserve much respect or props unless they built upon that
Putting certain words in all capital letters doesn't make the point more valid.

If it's that easy, and that risk free, why haven't you done it? How were their stock options worth anything if the value of the company was halved? Stock options in executive compensation packages in public companies are worthless if the stock price decreases.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Putting certain words in all capital letters doesn't make the point more valid.

If it's that easy, and that risk free, why haven't you done it?

I don't have the connections to make it happen. Nor do I have any relatives that were CEOs or owners of a certain business. I didn't come from wealth and as a biproduct can afford the best schools to go to to build an Ivy League network. . I wasn't born into wealth. I wasn't born into a savvy business family that owns things . Im not a sociopath either that will befriend you ust because of your socioeconomic status in society

Most of those positions are only the result of Collegiate/family connections. I never had that luxury.

And quit being an idiot and calling it a "risk" when I already PROVED it wasn't .

Old 08-18-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I don't have the connections to make it happen. Nor do I have any relatives that were CEOs or owners of a certain business. I didn't come from wealth and as a biproduct can afford the best schools to go to to build an Ivy League network. . I wasn't born into wealth. I wasn't born into a savvy business family that owns things . Im not a sociopath either that will befriend you ust because of your socioeconomic status in society

Most of those positions are only the result of Collegiate/family connections. I never had that luxury.

And quit being an idiot and calling it a "risk" when I already PROVED it wasn't .
You made your argument, you were proven wrong. I asked the before, you ignored the question, are you looking to have a conversation, or are you here to rant?

What do you think 'sociopath' means?

Old 08-18-2018, 03:26 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:

Ok. So you had the unlucky experience of working for two companies that stumbled. So what?

That doesn’t mean that most CEOs fail, it doesn’t mean that the ones who headed your company were necessarily bad either. That may have been, I couldn’t say.

The point, which you seem to resist understanding, is that being an F500 CEO requires a pretty limited skill set. Not many people have it, and it will require money and attractive terms to get one of these people for your company. One of those requirements, like it or not, is a golden parachute in case things go sideways.

Do F500 CEOs make too much? Probably. Are the severance packages too generous? Also probably yes. Are you qualified to hold one of these positions? Definitely not.

The fact is that people with limited skills can get more money to bring those skills to an employer. I make 2-4x what my subordinate employees make, and I don’t apologize for it, nor am I going to decline my next raise. I command that salary because I have knowledge, experience and ability that others do not have. I also recognize the fact that while I could probably do my boss’s job, I could not do her boss’s job.

As for CEO level work? Not my area. I am more of an operational guy, and happy to do it. I have been highly placed enough in an F500 to have regular interaction with senior VPs, and occasional interaction with the exec-VP, president and CEO. Those were some smart, dedicated, workaholic people, and while I didn’t always agree with what they did, I could understand the logic.

Your posts on this board paint a picture of you. You are likely a lower level supervisor or lead, whose daily life is impacted by corporate directives, but you have no financial responsibility of note. Until you do, and you begin to understand why decisions are made as they are, you will continue to sound rather naive and uninformed as you post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment