Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 12:04 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Because there's people in this world that are horrible people who ruin everything for the rest of us. Only thing you can do is deal with it, it's the lucky few who have jobs where they don't have toxic people working alongside them.

I was in a job like that once, you just have to do your best not to let it get to you. My current job, I work with a lot of people that I feel would be in the running for dumbest person on earth, but they're not out to get me or engage in office politics/backstabbing, and I'll take that over a toxic work environment any day.
What does this even mean, toxic? If you constantly find yourself in "toxic" situations, maybe it's you who's the drama queen/king?

The negativity on this forum is just astonishing. Record low unemployment, stock market, housing prices and yet all some of you see is "toxicity".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 12:16 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgeonman View Post
It shouldn't have to be that way, but so many of us have awful times at our jobs. Many times, you leave one bad place and the next place is worse. Bad managers and bad coworkers are everywhere. I've heard all sorts of stories from family members and have experienced many nasty people at work myself. Why can't the workplace be somewhere you like going rather than hell on Earth?
Because we work with human beings and human beings are imperfect, so you will inevitably run into people's bad sides in ANY job you have. Every single person has habits and work styles that totally clash with yours, obnoxious personalities, people with no shame, selfish, immoral people who take advantage of someone, etc., so just try to stick with one that's is okay and you can tolerate it.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:23 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,919,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
What does this even mean, toxic? If you constantly find yourself in "toxic" situations, maybe it's you who's the drama queen/king?

The negativity on this forum is just astonishing. Record low unemployment, stock market, housing prices and yet all some of you see is "toxicity".
Some people have complained about bad workplaces regularly for years. The one constant in all that time is the person complaining.

Self-reflection, and specifically asking the question "what if I'm wrong?" is very important.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:42 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times
Quote:

Ummmm:

Record low unemployment is fake news. They don't count anyone not on the Unemployment dole. Meanwhile the last time we saw this many homeless youth in NYC under age 35 was in the 70's.
Stock market is over-due for a correction.
Housing prices are un-affordable now for many.
Toxicity in corporate American culture is more prevalent than ever.

Things are not as rosy as they may seem on the surface. Many are suffering in silence walking side by side among the privileged.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:45 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Ummmm:

Record low unemployment is fake news. They don't count anyone not on the Unemployment dole. Meanwhile the last time we saw this many homeless youth in NYC under age 35 was in the 70's.
Stock market is over-due for a correction.
Housing prices are un-affordable now for many.
Toxicity in corporate American culture is more prevalent than ever.

Things are not as rosy as they may seem on the purpose. Many are suffering in silence walking side by side among the privileged.
Toxicity, privilege, fake news? You've hit a trifecta in this post.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:54 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,919,501 times
Quote:
Record low unemployment is fake news. They don't count anyone not on the Unemployment dole.
All unemployment is at a 20 year low, up to U6 (not just U1-3).

Old 08-20-2018, 01:08 PM

1,093 posts, read 581,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
75% is because of greed and money.

Let's say your company produces widgets. You can make a widget in say 4 hours. But if you want a widget done WELL, well then maybe 6 hours to make one, and spend maybe another 2 hours to check it over, put touches on it. Not so bad for an 8 hour day.

But people want to make as much $ as possible. So, your boss says, "We make the best darn widgets for the price we charge." And he gets an order of widgets and orders you to make 10 widgets a week.

While that's possible, all of these widgets have different customers specifications. So, one might take 4 hours to make, one might take a whole 8 hours. And since you need to spend 4 hours tops to make a widget to meet your quota, you either spend your own time to make sure it's done right, or go home for the day.

Now ... all of a sudden your boss calls you into his office. Mr. XYZ has called and his widget has a defect. Now that's a mark against the company. And a mark against you. "F@ck. How did I miss that? That will never happen again." But mistakes do happen again.

Or ... maybe you have a bad day. You had a fight with your wife and you can't concentrate Monday morning. Well ... now you're a widget behind schedule. You have to make that time up.

On top of that, the guy next to you makes 12 widgets a week somehow and is witty and people love him.

So ... now you're going into a place where you need to work virtually every hour of the day to meet your widget quota, you're constantly worried about keeping up with widget making trends, which really only takes away from your widget making time, you're constantly worried about your boss calling you into his office pointing out the mistake you made on this widget that you can't believe you somehow missed, and the co-worker next to you is making more widgets than you and with less mistakes.

Now THAT'S stress.

Does this situation sound familiar to anybody?
That sums up my previous job in a nutshell, but add these to the list:

1. You're the only one in the company with the first clue how to make widgets. Anyone else comes in to cover for you, it results in a disaster which you will be responsible for cleaning up.

2. You have several additional duties besides making widgets. You must keep up with those duties without ever letting a single widget get behind schedule.

3. The machine you depend on to produce the widgets breaks down 1-2 times a week and is often down for 24+ hours at a time. Somehow it's still your fault when the product gets back logged.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:16 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Well, that's like saying "I found my soulmate and I love them more than the world, and you're divorced and single. And that's your fault."

I always find it interesting when people post here about loving their jobs (or mates). Are they doing it to gloat, or do they actually want to help people who haven't found that. Perhaps they even convince themselves that they love their job, just so they can gloat about it.

In any case, another problem is, things/life change.

Like any person with a bachelors degree from a pretty good school, I thought in my 20s I could make a lot of $ in the corporate world with very little effort.

And I succinctly remember saying to myself at some point in my 30s "All I want is a job that pays decent and doesn't require me to work crazy hours so I can concentrate on what I want to do in life."

But when you get a little older, and you start to see the end, you think about what you're doing for this world.

So, people also grow to dislike their jobs/careers.
That's very true. I have made good money over the past 24 years, all in the same job. Most of my co-workers do not have a college degree (I do) and they make less money, but enough where they don't want to leave their jobs (just like myself) None of us particularly like our jobs, many of these high school grads bring little enthusiasm, a lot of drama, like to feud with their co workers, etc., etc., and its something I have had to endure for all of my time working there. I have saved some money along the way, and now I only have 4.5 years left until I can retire.

But, like you said, as you get towards the end you start thinking about "what you're doing for this world", and I've long known I don't have any particular love for my job. I do have, however, a lot of gratitude, and am very grateful for the way I've been treated and paid for my work. That overrides my disdain for some of my co workers and the monotony of my job.

At this point, however, I'm seriously considering leaving in 2 years and starting an entirely new career. I'll get a reduced pension (which is very small to begin with) so a few hundred bucks less a month I can live with. And I'd be leaving for something that pays much less but that I genuinely love doing.

The moral of the story is money is not always the most important factor, but it is very important. That's why I have endured the past 24 years, and by saving money and living below my means, I now have the opportunity to walk away early, and this freedom to do so is definitely something most of my co-workers do not have. If you make good money and hate your job, concentrate instead on being grateful for how much you make, and appreciate this. Take all extra money and invest it. Watch it grow, and go to bed at night knowing that some day, you'll be able to walk away from it all, and have something in your 401K that will help support you. That is freedom, in a sense.

That financial peace of mind is a feeling of liberation. Debt is just another form of slavery.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:53 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,243,376 times
Quote:

You don't know any toxic people?

Congratulations, I can see you don't get out much.

None of what you mentioned has anything to do with people you may have to work with.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:08 PM

405 posts, read 257,641 times
Quote:
Ummmm:

Record low unemployment is fake news. They don't count anyone not on the Unemployment dole.

While this is true, it has always been how they count unemployment, but if their political choice is in power they tout the tout the low percentages. If the other half's choice won, then the figures have no validity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment