Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 04:48 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Reality is the problem. A select few make millions and millions and everyone else struggles and starves. Maybe an alternative is better?? Just perhaps??
Ok. On this one I completely agree with you. Our system is skewed to reward capital to an excessive amount. Our legal and tax structure is essentially a trickle-up economy, and the wealth disparity we have is not fair, nor is it likely to be sustainable in the long term.

I differ with you on many details, and I think you do not fully consider options, preferring a radical revolutionary approach rather than a methodical, sustainable approach.

For myself, I would like to see a complete restructure of our tax system. Capital gains need to be taxed at the same rate as earnings, perhaps at a higher rate. Corporations operating in the US need to file earnings reports for all earnings, or losses, as a result of domestic operations and pay taxes accordingly. No hiding money in tax havens. We need to develop a reasonable social safety net. Health insurance for all, not connected to your employer. A reasonable minimum wage and vacation benefits. A national minimum pension plan that is transferable from company to company, but can be augmented by employers at a higher than minim7m rate. The restoration of unions. The legal system is messed up as well, but I don’t really know how to begin to fix that. Corporations aren’t people, and should not have unlimited political donations. Business laws should apply on a national basis, not on a state by state basis. No more race to the bottom on corporate tax incentives and environmental waivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 05:07 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Didn't read this entire thread, but my answer to the question in the subject line would be: because of competition. Dog eat dog, or else get eaten. Not sure it can be changed, it is in the nature of primates, we are a competitive species.

Last edited by elnrgby; 08-18-2018 at 05:23 PM..

Old 08-18-2018, 07:27 PM

1,110 posts, read 897,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Common denominator....you!
My husband thought that it was me, but then I retired from Civil Service and worked as a contractor for another agency. The difference was amazing. No games, meanness, politics; it was just doing your job and getting paid for it. There were downsides as well (being treated like a third class employee), but it was never personal.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:51 PM

1,110 posts, read 897,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Ok. On this one I completely agree with you. Our system is skewed to reward capital to an excessive amount. Our legal and tax structure is essentially a trickle-up economy, and the wealth disparity we have is not fair, nor is it likely to be sustainable in the long term.

I differ with you on many details, and I think you do not fully consider options, preferring a radical revolutionary approach rather than a methodical, sustainable approach.

For myself, I would like to see a complete restructure of our tax system. Capital gains need to be taxed at the same rate as earnings, perhaps at a higher rate. Corporations operating in the US need to file earnings reports for all earnings, or losses, as a result of domestic operations and pay taxes accordingly. No hiding money in tax havens. We need to develop a reasonable social safety net. Health insurance for all, not connected to your employer. A reasonable minimum wage and vacation benefits. A national minimum pension plan that is transferable from company to company, but can be augmented by employers at a higher than minim7m rate. The restoration of unions. The legal system is messed up as well, but I don’t really know how to begin to fix that. Corporations aren’t people, and should not have unlimited political donations. Business laws should apply on a national basis, not on a state by state basis. No more race to the bottom on corporate tax incentives and environmental waivers.
  • Random thoughts about corporations:
  • The corporate system formerly rewarded service and or quality, but now, maximizing shareholder wealth is the objective.
  • This country has become considerably meaner, and treats its citizens shabbily, except for the top tier. Corporations follow suit.
  • U.S. companies are not as competitive as say, Canada since they must pay for health care.
  • The system also allows the taxpayer to subsidize corporations when their employees are eligible for public assistance, even while working.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:10 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
  • Random thoughts about corporations:
  • The corporate system formerly rewarded service and or quality, but now, maximizing shareholder wealth is the objective.
  • This country has become considerably meaner, and treats its citizens shabbily, except for the top tier. Corporations follow suit.
  • U.S. companies are not as competitive as say, Canada since they must pay for health care.
  • The system also allows the taxpayer to subsidize corporations when their employees are eligible for public assistance, even while working.
All true. Adding to your last point, many minimum wage workers also qualify for food stamps. This is simply another example of corporate welfare, as those food stamps are paid for by average taxpayers. We should not have minimum wage set so low that people still qualify for assistance.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:41 PM

24,644 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
When your boss hates his job, and his boss hates his job what are the odds their subordinates will hate their jobs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgeonman View Post
Bad managers and bad coworkers are everywhere. I've heard all sorts of stories from family members and have experienced many nasty people at work myself. Why can't the workplace be somewhere you like going rather than hell on Earth?
Because those people: coworkers, supervisord, managers are also miserable and they want to project their misery onto you. In general, you can't choose your coworker and bosses in this world and that's very unfortunate

Employees can make your life easier or harder, there's no gray line. Thats ones of the great problems of modern employment.

Fortunately there are good employees and management out there too, it's just a matter of hoping that you work with the good ones and not the god awful ones

Old 08-18-2018, 09:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Too much of a risk and uncertainty associated with starting your own business. The power is out of your hands with that because it may or may not pay off. No absolutes with that. Not to mention the market is oversaturated now with damn near EVERYTHING

So unless you get a substantial business and training handed to you by a relative or something, its not the same as starting something from scratch. Most of the people I see with businesses now were handed down to them by some family member. Thats not as much of a risk. You're just inheriting something thats already running. ROFLMAO
I've been on both sides... 10 years had my own property management business but I earned my engineering degree and wanted to put it to use.

In retrospect... all of my independence comes from being self employed and not as an employee... very glad I kept the Property Management going... even on a greatly reduced scale because it would be easy to ramp up...

If I'm taking down a tree... I have people stop and ask for an estimate... if I am pouring a driveway or using my Backhoe it is the same... day job is working at a Hospital... but it would be so easy to go back if the need was there.

Lots of Mom and Pop Corps around here... the janitorial company and Used Car Dealer I know are Corps... they do put in long hours and cover when anyone is out in addition to their regular work load.

One of my friends does real well... a one man company... no college... just High School... married his High School Sweetheart and she had to have been pregnant at graduation...

He had a family, bills, etc... looked around where he could make good money with little investment.... had a 14 year old van... bought a used cable Roto Rooter machine... etc and was in business cleaning drains... his niche was no charge if he couldn't clear the drain... that got him established... what built the business is no matter when... if you called... he would always say he was on the way or your next...

He worked a lot during the Holidays... seems lots of stopped up drains around the Holidays... he was grossing 200k... with no college and in his 20's... doubt he had 5k tied up in used truck and tools...

He now owns a very nice home in a very nice neighborhood... his two kids go to private school... his wife still takes calls for the ones that don't go to cell and does the banking and books... but, she loved staying at home with her kids...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-18-2018 at 10:00 PM..

Old 08-19-2018, 08:08 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Some people make the mistake thinking they are working with friends. You must remember that if a friendship develops you must realize that you can’t get too chummy at work. Keep work separate and most people need to remember that you go to work to bring home a paycheck not a friend. These people are for the most part not your friends. Friends and acquaintances are two different things.
Agreed. I don’t know why people get so much crap for not befriending their coworkers. Yes, you should try to build a cordial working relationship, but going beyond that is what gets people in trouble. I’m a self processed millennial job hopper who will probably switch companies every couple of years because that is the only way I’ve gotten decent raises and promotions because I won’t get too chummy with my coworkers. I get a lot of hate because I’m not a naturally open person at work.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:23 AM

9,423 posts, read 11,176,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgeonman View Post
It shouldn't have to be that way, but so many of us have awful times at our jobs. Many times, you leave one bad place and the next place is worse. Bad managers and bad coworkers are everywhere. I've heard all sorts of stories from family members and have experienced many nasty people at work myself. Why can't the workplace be somewhere you like going rather than hell on Earth?
I've had numerous at-best incompetent managers, at worst borderline-beeotch-from-hell with no boundaries, petty, jealous, inappropriate with certain male subordinates, ass-kissing, purposely overloaded so as to be too valuable to management to discipline or let go...I'm thinking of one in particular, but in my experience the people in charge are not the best, they're the ones who most wanted to rise to the top.

We had a company commander LTC type on deployment in the mideast who spent ALL his time following colonels and generals around kissing their asses, he knew nothing of his unit, he didn't know the names of half the people in his company. His XO (later CO) was a useless seaweed, any way the wind blows, yessir yessir three bags full. First shirt was more of the same, useless and never there, NEVER attended to the troops. All three drank like fish (not there but stateside), ass-kiss was rewarded eventually with his star. Later had criminal charges proferred against him for his activities as a poop-house lawyer.

I could go on but I have other things to do at the moment. The job of boss should probably go to someone who doesn't really want it and doesn't have those power issues.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:51 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I have dealt with the general public in the majority of jobs I have held in my almost 40 year working career. For most of those years, I enjoyed providing customer service, much more so than the mundane "cubicle office" type jobs I have had.

That being said, I can say that over the past decade or so, the general public is getting stupider, more needy, and overall, a lot more draining to deal with.

Can't wait to retire.
Me, too. I'm in Health Care and it's transitioned, over the decades, from health care to almost PR work. More competition I guess, less profits (perceived or real?), lower reimbursements,all the changes in health care. But, people are extremely needy (well sick people are, understood, but families are, too, along w/ everyone feeling they're "entitled" to so and so). Draining, yes. Esp. private for profit places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment