Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:04 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I never experienced nightmare job situations until I moved away from my roots, and a large city with plenty of opportunity. I'm fairly confident that reversing the path will restore me back or near to where I once was.

If all your jobs are hell, take a close look at yourself to make sure you aren't a big part of the problem. If that leads nowhere, relocate and/or change fields.
If it was only that easy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 09:36 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
I love my job! You're doing it wrong.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:38 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
I work from home and no longer have to play head games with people in the office. It's great.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:00 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
If there were a place where they pay you to go someplace you liked, it'd be full already.
But the libraries (where I work) are usually hiring! And if you don’t like going to the library, I’d worry about you a little.

This is why I chose a profession I’m passionate about, instead of just settling for “it’s a paycheck.” I realize not everyone has the means to do this, but it should at least be one’s goal to somewhat enjoy their work. Whatever it happens to be.

Honestly, I don’t know how people go to jobs they hate (or even ones for which they’re apathetic) every day for xx years. I’d probably shoot myself if I had to do that... not kidding.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:45 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Well, that's like saying "I found my soulmate and I love them more than the world, and you're divorced and single. And that's your fault."

I always find it interesting when people post here about loving their jobs (or mates). Are they doing it to gloat, or do they actually want to help people who haven't found that. Perhaps they even convince themselves that they love their job, just so they can gloat about it.
When I post about loving my job, it’s not to gloat - and certainly not to convince myself of anything, since it’s 100% true. I have good and bad days like anyone else, of course, but overall it’s a pretty sweet gig. Regardless, I really am hoping to encourage others, and to offer advice on how to pursue a better career and/or education. As a public librarian, part of my job IS to advise and guide people with employment/school questions... so I guess that’s a natural thing for me, plus you know my resources will be trustworthy.

If my comments are ever taken as gloating, I assure you that isn’t my intention. Although I do hate a “negative Nancy,” and occasionally respond this way just to offset their doom and gloom. If I didn’t know better, this forum might convince me that NOBODY likes their jobs! Also that it’s impossible to find decent work, which simply isn’t true (in most areas) these days.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:50 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Lets look at the problems that cause a lot of people problems in the workplace.

1: They went to college, and got an easy degree. One that sounded like fun, and easy classes. Got out of college, and there was no jobs available in the fields they had studied for. They had to take a job that they really do not like, and are so filled with hate for the only place that would hire them, as they hate the work.

2: They complain that they are earning peasants wages, and not making $100,000 a year they expected when they got out of college. Instead they are making $30,000 a year and hate their job due to that fact. If they had done a little study, they would have realized before they even went to college, that some college graduates working in their degree field, will earn $30,000 to start, and others such as Petroleum Engineers will be earning $100,000 to start. They simply cannot accept the fact, that some degrees earn a lot more than others, and some degrees are in short supply of graduates, and others already have a 5 year supply wanting to enter into their field of study so few if any jobs for new graduates.

Here is a study done by the Bureau Of Labor Statistics, which lists thousands of jobs. You can see some jobs that require a degree pay less than $20 an hour and others that pay as much as $$200,000 plus a year. Get the low pay degree, then don't complain how much you make or how you are treated. As many have found out their degree will get them a job as a Barista in a coffee shop.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm#00-0000

3: A lot of younger workers, complain they do not get promoted. They brag they are introverts, that just want to be left alone to do their job, and do not socialize in any way with other workers or management. Of course they don't get promoted. Management of any level is more than knowing the job, it is being able to work with people. The manager may not be the best one in doing the job, as he/she does not have to do be. They have to be able to work with people, and what they don't know about doing the exact job they can find out from those that do the good work. The CEO of a company, does not have to know how to clean the bathrooms. He has people working far below his pay level, that know how and can supervise the workers that do that work.

4: People complain, about how they cannot even get an interview for a better job. They will usually use a one size fits all Resume. They are too lazy to build a Resume for the particular job they are applying for, showing what qualifications they have for that job, not just some job in general. They complain they go to interview after interview, and never get the job. This means one of two things. They are applying for jobs they are not qualified for that the interview makes clear to the one holding the interview, or they simply turn off the interviewer.

Another major reason they do not get hired, is they are applying for what the consider higher paid and/or fun jobs. Jobs they have no education or experience doing, and other with the education and experience are applying at the same time. Of course they won't get the job. The job is going to go to someone with the experience and/or education to perform the job. You can't blame them for trying when their education is for low paid jobs, and they want to earn a living wage. The reason so many do not get the job, is they spent their time getting an education which pays very low, or is so overran by too many graduates there is either no jobs, or all jobs they are educated for are low paying jobs.

Here is a list, of 10 worthless degrees if you want a job.

The 10 Most Worthless College Majors - Holytaco

I had a nephew that got a degree from a major university in Film and Communications. He ended up working at Disney Land driving the jungle cruise boat, and is the one that actually crashed the boat and sank it. He went back to school and got a degree in Special Education and teaches it in elementary schools. As did his wife with another worthless degree.

Everyone blames the systems and the employers. They simply do not understand the problem is the field they got a degree in. There simply is no job for them and if there is one, it is low paid.

We see on these threads a lot of especially young people, angry that they cannot get a job that pays $ 100K per year, and cannot get a job in a field they like and due to these two facts, hate their work, complain about their terrible bosses and company. They simply cannot accept the fact that they are the problem, and their college degree is not one that will get them a good job and high pay.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:47 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgeonman View Post
It shouldn't have to be that way, but so many of us have awful times at our jobs. Many times, you leave one bad place and the next place is worse. Bad managers and bad coworkers are everywhere. I've heard all sorts of stories from family members and have experienced many nasty people at work myself. Why can't the workplace be somewhere you like going rather than hell on Earth?
My workplace is fabulous. Why?

We have an extremely talented engineering team that develops incredible products. Our customers willing pay us $1M for a product that costs $300K to produce.

With margins like that we can be generous to the workforce and we are.

But to get a job like that you must invest years in training. Personally, that was 7 years of engineering school and over 30 years of experience.

Bottom line: If you have developed differentiated, highly sought skills and can market those skills to an employer who can turn them into big profits, your workplace will seem closer to heaven than hell.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:36 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
Look at what people did in the good old days. A friend of mine was telling me about his dad - worked in an iron foundry. 120 degrees in there all day. He'd come home black from head to toe, drenched in sweat, take a shower and mow the lawn before dinner. Did that for 30 years. Even today, look at the guys doing roadwork in 90 degree heat, the electricians climbing around in attics in the middle of summer, the guys on power poles working around the clock to restore power after an ice storm. Putting up with office gossip in an air conditioned office sounds pretty sweet - compared..
Physical toil is a lot less demanding than psychological toil.

I think my Grandfather who was a self-taught engineer that repaired trains would have immediately quit most corporate jobs today. Too many mind games. For Men in particular that are more left-brained oriented it's just unbearable.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:13 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
Even as a teen working in a chicken restaurant, I liked my job well enough. Not really the job itself, but I liked the people. When I worked in an office, I liked both the work and my co-workers. I did have a bad manager for a couple years, but I just minimized the effect she had on my life to the best of my ability. She lived alone and I suspect she didn't have a great life outside of the office, so I just excused her ridiculous behavior. Sometimes I even brought her a coffee to sweeten her up for a few hours of peace.

Now I'm self-employed and work from home. There are aspects of my job that I don't like and some clients whom I'm not the fondest of. But I mostly like what I do. I also take on volunteer opportunities that I'm passionate about, so if I'm feeling unfulfilled at work, I do have those positions to rely on for my sense of doing something good in the world, if that makes sense. I do miss having coworkers that I see on a regular basis.

I think it's usually what you make of it, to be honest. Put on your rose-colored glasses and look for the silver linings. And if you're that miserable, make a plan to get a better job or to start your own company! No use in complaining and focusing on the negatives.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:47 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Lets look at the problems that cause a lot of people problems in the workplace.

1: They went to college, and got an easy degree. One that sounded like fun, and easy classes. Got out of college, and there was no jobs available in the fields they had studied for. They had to take a job that they really do not like, and are so filled with hate for the only place that would hire them, as they hate the work.

2: They complain that they are earning peasants wages, and not making $100,000 a year they expected when they got out of college. Instead they are making $30,000 a year and hate their job due to that fact. If they had done a little study, they would have realized before they even went to college, that some college graduates working in their degree field, will earn $30,000 to start, and others such as Petroleum Engineers will be earning $100,000 to start. They simply cannot accept the fact, that some degrees earn a lot more than others, and some degrees are in short supply of graduates, and others already have a 5 year supply wanting to enter into their field of study so few if any jobs for new graduates.

Here is a study done by the Bureau Of Labor Statistics, which lists thousands of jobs. You can see some jobs that require a degree pay less than $20 an hour and others that pay as much as $$200,000 plus a year. Get the low pay degree, then don't complain how much you make or how you are treated. As many have found out their degree will get them a job as a Barista in a coffee shop.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm#00-0000

3: A lot of younger workers, complain they do not get promoted. They brag they are introverts, that just want to be left alone to do their job, and do not socialize in any way with other workers or management. Of course they don't get promoted. Management of any level is more than knowing the job, it is being able to work with people. The manager may not be the best one in doing the job, as he/she does not have to do be. They have to be able to work with people, and what they don't know about doing the exact job they can find out from those that do the good work. The CEO of a company, does not have to know how to clean the bathrooms. He has people working far below his pay level, that know how and can supervise the workers that do that work.

4: People complain, about how they cannot even get an interview for a better job. They will usually use a one size fits all Resume. They are too lazy to build a Resume for the particular job they are applying for, showing what qualifications they have for that job, not just some job in general. They complain they go to interview after interview, and never get the job. This means one of two things. They are applying for jobs they are not qualified for that the interview makes clear to the one holding the interview, or they simply turn off the interviewer.

Another major reason they do not get hired, is they are applying for what the consider higher paid and/or fun jobs. Jobs they have no education or experience doing, and other with the education and experience are applying at the same time. Of course they won't get the job. The job is going to go to someone with the experience and/or education to perform the job. You can't blame them for trying when their education is for low paid jobs, and they want to earn a living wage. The reason so many do not get the job, is they spent their time getting an education which pays very low, or is so overran by too many graduates there is either no jobs, or all jobs they are educated for are low paying jobs.

Here is a list, of 10 worthless degrees if you want a job.

The 10 Most Worthless College Majors - Holytaco

I had a nephew that got a degree from a major university in Film and Communications. He ended up working at Disney Land driving the jungle cruise boat, and is the one that actually crashed the boat and sank it. He went back to school and got a degree in Special Education and teaches it in elementary schools. As did his wife with another worthless degree.

Everyone blames the systems and the employers. They simply do not understand the problem is the field they got a degree in. There simply is no job for them and if there is one, it is low paid.

We see on these threads a lot of especially young people, angry that they cannot get a job that pays $ 100K per year, and cannot get a job in a field they like and due to these two facts, hate their work, complain about their terrible bosses and company. They simply cannot accept the fact that they are the problem, and their college degree is not one that will get them a good job and high pay.

Meanwhile all the STEM Fields are in India, china etc. There really isn't many "useful degrees" these days as long as outsourcing exists. The real problem is overpopulation and a lack of JOBS.

College these days is mostly useless for anyone outside the prodigy genius or someone with high level connections when they get out of college (Family member, Big wig corporate friend etc)

There just aren’t enough jobs to go around for everyone who needs them

Last edited by DorianRo; 08-17-2018 at 07:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment