Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 03:29 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
You made your argument, you were proven wrong. I asked the before, you ignored the question, are you looking to have a conversation, or are you here to rant?

What do you think 'sociopath' means?

I haven't been "proven wrong" about anything. Ive already said you can take over a business by weaseling your way into power , lay everyone off to boost short-term quarterly profits and be set for life (Ive lived through it TWICE) regardless of success or failure and you tell me theres a "risk" with that for some reason.

Wheres the risk pal?. To my ignore list you go. Bye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 03:46 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,919,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I haven't been "proven wrong" about anything. Ive already said you can take over a business by weaseling your way into power , lay everyone off to boost short-term quarterly profits and be set for life (Ive lived through it TWICE) regardless of success or failure and you tell me theres a "risk" with that for some reason.

Post #'s 102 and 104.

First you said your company's value halved under that CEO, now you're saying quarterly profits increased. Which is it?

Old 08-18-2018, 04:03 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

Actually, it has been shown that you are wrong, but you seem not to understand the concept of risk.

Let’s try this again.

Let’s say I am the president of a large private corporation, or a senior division VP like Marissa Mayer was at Google. I earn $5 million a year, things are humming along, and I have great job security. Somebody approaches me to be the CEO of an F500.

Even interviewing means I put my current job in jeopardy. If I have a career that goes for another 20 years, I am risking $100 million or more. If I take the new job, and there is any challenge to it, I might fail. It might be that market forces simply are too much for the company (such as Yahoo!). I have a decent chance of succeeding, as I do have a track record, but it isn’t guaranteed.

Now, if I crash the new company, I am possibly out if work for life. Certainly I would take a step back in my career. So my initial risk is $100 million in lifetime earnings. I need some sort of incentive to take the risk, and that incentive is probably $5 million in salary, $10+ million in stock, plus a $15 million parachute.

Yes, even failure pays off, but remember, I would have thrown away a relatively safe $5 million a year.

That is the risk. Not poverty, but opportunity cost. It’s a pretty basic economic principle, and learning about these things will make you a better informed person

Old 08-18-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Actually, it has been shown that you are wrong, but you seem not to understand the concept of risk.

Let’s try this again.

Let’s say I am the president of a large private corporation, or a senior division VP like Marissa Mayer was at Google. I earn $5 million a year, things are humming along, and I have great job security. Somebody approaches me to be the CEO of an F500.

Even interviewing means I put my current job in jeopardy. If I have a career that goes for another 20 years, I am risking $100 million or more. If I take the new job, and there is any challenge to it, I might fail. It might be that market forces simply are too much for the company (such as Yahoo!). I have a decent chance of succeeding, as I do have a track record, but it isn’t guaranteed.

Now, if I crash the new company, I am possibly out if work for life. Certainly I would take a step back in my career. So my initial risk is $100 million in lifetime earnings. I need some sort of incentive to take the risk, and that incentive is probably $5 million in salary, $10+ million in stock, plus a $15 million parachute.

Yes, even failure pays off, but remember, I would have thrown away a relatively safe $5 million a year.

That is the risk. Not poverty, but opportunity cost. It’s a pretty basic economic principle, and learning about these things will make you a better informed person

Oh no!!!!!!! What could I possibly do if I have already made MILLIONS and put my future In jeopardy. If you aren't going to be in poverty and asking for food stamps or living on the street theres no risk. Quit being another idiot like your corporate apologist counterpart.

If you're bonus is worth another middle classes LIFETIME earnings, you aren't risking a damn thing. Because there are no real consequences.

Theres no reasoning with out of touch yuppies. Do you think Fox News reporting is gospel as well?

The sad thing is I could live off a quarter of your garden variety's CEO salary in 1-2 years for the rest of the my life
ROFLMAO...

Last edited by DorianRo; 08-18-2018 at 04:19 PM..

Old 08-18-2018, 04:25 PM

2,622 posts, read 3,150,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I was just wishing I could have recorded my work day as no one would ever believe my story (who didn't already work there). But of course I know no one would care either.
BTDT. I worked a couple of nightmare places. I've been fortunate to work some good ones too.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:29 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Some people are resistant to reality. What can I say?

Old 08-18-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Some people are resistant to reality. What can I say?

Reality is the problem. A select few make millions and millions and everyone else struggles and starves. Maybe an alternative is better?? Just perhaps?? spread the wealth around a little?

Old 08-18-2018, 04:41 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,630,750 times
Some people make the mistake thinking they are working with friends. You must remember that if a friendship develops you must realize that you can’t get too chummy at work. Keep work separate and most people need to remember that you go to work to bring home a paycheck not a friend. These people are for the most part not your friends. Friends and acquaintances are two different things.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Some people make the mistake thinking they are working with friends. You must remember that if a friendship develops you must realize that you can’t get too chummy at work. Keep work separate and most people need to remember that you go to work to bring home a paycheck not a friend. These people are for the most part not your friends. Friends and acquaintances are two different things.

In a perfect world everyone should be a team and friends and all reap the rewards. When the workplace becomes a backstabbing culture of failure and no one is there to achieve a common goal, you may as well kiss it all goodbye. You won't last in the long term

You needs levels of leadership of course but you also need to respect your workforce. Without a workforce there is no business. Everyone should work towards a common positive Goal. And spread the wealth and fruits of the labor. Successful businesses last centuries because of this. If you disrupt that because of greed eventually everyone will be discarded sooner or later. You disrupt one little fraction of an orchestra and the entire symphony is off. Thats how business SHOULD be run to be successful. No personal agendas should be involved. It should be a concentrated team effort. If not, you DESERVE to be out of business

Old 08-18-2018, 04:47 PM

8,050 posts, read 10,640,313 times
I have dealt with the general public in the majority of jobs I have held in my almost 40 year working career. For most of those years, I enjoyed providing customer service, much more so than the mundane "cubicle office" type jobs I have had.

That being said, I can say that over the past decade or so, the general public is getting stupider, more needy, and overall, a lot more draining to deal with.

Can't wait to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment