Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 03:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Today is a week day and you don't claim to be retired so unless this is your job, get back to work. Your productivity is falling off.
Unpaid overtime is a scam. Sudden emergencies that cause cancelled vacations are a scam.
I will not back off. Corporations have their place, but not as our masters in some oligarchy.
These things may happen but they are not common occurances. I've never heard of anyone cancelling a vacation. I don't know anyone work any amount of overtime that would be a problem. Also, any extra time is usually covered in a yearly bonus.

Unions have their place. It all comes down to risk vs reward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 03:28 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
These things may happen but they are not common occurances. I've never heard of anyone cancelling a vacation. I don't know anyone work any amount of overtime that would be a problem. Also, any extra time is usually covered in a yearly bonus.

If these things were so uncommon they wouldn't be in union contracts.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
If these things were so uncommon they wouldn't be in union contracts.
I don't believe that's how that works.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:37 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Today is a week day and you don't claim to be retired so unless this is your job, get back to work. Your productivity is falling off.
Unpaid overtime is a scam. Sudden emergencies that cause cancelled vacations are a scam.
I will not back off. Corporations have their place, but not as our masters in some oligarchy.
I'm not really sure what you're talking about. No one tracks my time, I leave early if I want to leave early, as long as my work is getting done. I'm actually good at my job, so I don't need to pay money into a union contract for protection that keeps bad co-workers from being able to be fired. When was the last time you worked a non-union job? I've never seen any of what you describe happen.

Again, we disagree. There's nothing wrong with having differing opinions. Let's be adults and agree to disagree about this.

Last edited by Lekrii; 03-21-2019 at 06:47 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 06:45 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:

"I've never heard" & "I don't know anyone" does not mean that these things aren't prevalent for others, just not for you.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:37 PM

652 posts, read 1,276,502 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyafd View Post
like i said; you're on managements side every time. Aside from offending your bosses, could you list them?

Unpaid overtime
fired at whim
if you don't come in sunday, don't come in monday.

Or

getting to take scheduled vacations with no surprise emergencies forcing cancellations.
Almost everyone argues with their boss at times. Union people don't get fired for it.
A pension that is held by a third party and won't be cut when you're ready to collect.
Having a pension.
Having a vacation to take.
Getting paid like the men do because each job has a salary grade and band.
Paid overtime until you really are a manager

people like katalin know when they are better off.
exactly!

Old 03-21-2019, 09:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:

Both have strong points and not... The Union I was in did OK...

When I changed locations it was non-union but some of the hospitals under the same ownership are Union...

New job was management and it worked out OK for 20 years... then we were acquired by a not for profit and back to hourly but no Union...

In truth I make more for less as hourly... but I do miss management...

I can speak for cancelling vacation time approved months in advance... happened too many times as non-union.

The third time I simply emailed the boss my cancellation fees and the reply was just go...

It was Medicare no notice inspection and I was going out of the country... not a few days at the lake...

Old 03-21-2019, 10:46 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
If their web site does not specify whether the jobs are union or not, call the Med Ctr HR office and ask them.

It is very typical for universities and their hospitals to be separately incorporated. Both are large institutions, but they have different missions, and one set of policies and procedures for all would be detrimental to one group or another. As one example, hospitals are 24/7/365, while universities are not. Universities obtain income from tuition and state support, hospitals from medical fees and related insurance. Universities must be accredited, hospitals undergo a different version entirely.

This means that one institution may be unionized, while the other is not.
Thank you

Old 03-21-2019, 10:51 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Non union, I am not held back by poor performing co-workers. If I prove I am doing more than them, I can be paid more and promoted faster. Non union, I'm not stuck with mediocre workers who only don't get fired because of union rules.

Each job having a set salary band is good for average to mediocre performers, it's a negative for people who can prove they deserve more.

I'm confused why you would think being on the side of motivated employees who take responsibility for their own careers is "on the side of management". I don't need to waste money on union dues for something I can do better on my own.

I know we disagree, and you picking my posts out to respond is getting old when we know we don't see eye to eye. Let's agree to disagree on this. All the best.

The only downsize of working for a Union position is a hard worker getting more to do while the lazy ass people getting away with murder because they are favorites. If it was a non-union job a hard worker would have been fired because of favoritism.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:28 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
The only downsize of working for a Union position is a hard worker getting more to do while the lazy ass people getting away with murder because they are favorites. If it was a non-union job a hard worker would have been fired because of favoritism.
no, if it were non-union the harder worker could put together a presentation on why they should get a raise and get more money. I've done it every 2-3 years.

Non-union you are in control of your own career. Not paying union dues for "protection" that isn't needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment