Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 05:30 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

I'm at that stage of my career and life where I am starting to 'coast' at work.

Now, this doesn't mean doing the bare minimum or expending little effort. It means doing just the right amount (not too much, not too little) but also getting the work done. If there's any extra work or projects that need to get done, yes I'll do it. But it's all about hitting that comfort zone and leaving work at the office.

I know this concept is offensive to the 'alphas' out there who think anyone that isn't putting in 12 hours a day minimum and then working off hours at home and the weekends, are 'slackers' who should be let go.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-w...060043512.html

Quote:
If you’ve ever felt like you’re doing just the right amount of work to get by comfortably – not to little, not too much – then you aren’t alone. Last year, a survey of 3,000 people found a third say they’re “coasting” at work.

At face value, admitting to coasting in the workplace seems like a bad thing. Unlike others, who are putting in extra hours every day and tearing their hair out with stress, you’re plodding along, leaving on time when you’ve finished your day’s work. But is that really such a terrible thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 05:37 PM

41 posts, read 24,120 times
Don't kid yourself. Most people do as little work as they can get away with.

It's all about keeping up appearances. Ever notice how people tend to goof around on the job while the boss isn't around but when he shows up, they get down to business? Yeah, I've worked with MANY people like that.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:50 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
My job has a quota. There are minimal advancement opportunities and you might get like $300 bonus if you go significantly above the quota, so there is absolutely no benefit to doing way better than the quota. Could I be some speed demon if I really applied myself? Yes. Is there any tangible benefit? No. I get my work done, am in the middle of the pack in terms of meeting the quota, and my quality is decent. That is all they are going to get from me.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:41 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Coasting fails when the next recession hits.

Oh look, Mr. So-and-so is doing so-and-so on performance. Pink slip time!

Old 03-25-2019, 01:27 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
People that are coasting, are often increasing the number of people needed to get the work done. Some companies have gone as far as firing the 1 or 2 people at the bottom of the work production each month

Old 03-25-2019, 04:26 AM

290 posts, read 250,152 times
I'm getting close to retirement, and I've eased up on the accelerator some. I wouldn't call it coasting, but I'm not going to "take one for the team" anymore.

What I mean by that is: Management issues lots of rules. Sometimes you have to go around them to get the job finished on schedule. This could be as simple as "acquiring" some IT equipment you need outside the normal channels to meet schedule (because it takes facilities 4 months to get around to it), or something more like working thru required breaks (without recording it as such) to get everything done.

I follow the rules now. If management puts an obstacle in front of me, I'm no longer jumping over it. If we have a 6-month-to-release deadline, and purchasing can't get my lab equipment to me until month 4, then management has a problem -- not me.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:19 AM

363 posts, read 482,358 times
I am consciously coasting. I have worked at my company for almost four years now. I am paid decently but my health has suffered due to very late hours and the stress. I have reached a point where if I am not in the office, I try to keep it off my radar. I picked up a side hustle by accident trying to keep my mind off my job and I am actually now focusing more on that in my free time.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:20 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Never work hard unless the company you work for rewards meritocracy, hard work etc. If you pull your weight, become valuable and go nowhere and the company continues to reward the leeches, lazies, cronies, relatives etc.. the company does not DESERVE Your 100 percent effort.

Some people coast because in many places, it doesn't matter how hard you work or not. If you aren' connected, you're stuck . Most companies only look at "hard work" as a sign of weakness and exploit those hard workers.

People think hard work is going to save them from layoff? ROFLMAO.

Look around and see how many useless bums avoid the layoffs, continue getting promoted, etc and how many unconnected valuable, skilled workers got the shaft during the last recession and since . And tell me again, "working hard will avoid layoffs". Thats just an old wives tale place by management to "Keep the sheep in line". Little to no truth to it whatsoever.

Last edited by DorianRo; 03-25-2019 at 06:45 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 06:33 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
^ Ditto, yes and amen! Too bad I could only rep you once.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:04 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
I'm not taking on additional responsibility without additional authority and an off cycle raise. Period.

My health is priority now. I've sacrificed too much in the past 12 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment