Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 08:00 AM

293 posts, read 190,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Is your move set in stone in your mind or flexible?

If you are seriously thinking of moving on in a couple of months you could parlay this into a conversation with your management on their view of your performance, the value you bring, and your compensation - without mentioning the other worker (which is pointless and petty.)

You can use the “I am coming up to a year here and wanted to touch base” angle.

If they are less than receptive, or wishy-washy with respect to your growth path, then when you leave it won’t be a surprise.
That's a good idea. I'll try that when it gets slightly closer to my 1-year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you bring this up to management, don't mention that you know she is getting a raise unless there was a careless announcement or something made.
The one who I would bring this up to would be my manager, and he was on the call and he knows that I know about the raise

Old 06-07-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Why oh why is the H.R. Director talking to you about someone else's salary? I'd be a little apalled that she's flapping lips, talking about other people's salaries.

I wonder what she tells other people about you.
And the worst part is that the HR Director is NEW. She started a month ago. Which is why If ind it really odd that she is already blabbing about other employees' raises.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:05 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
I've posted on here before, but now I'm just pretty much like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but still a little peeved.
I've been at my company since October and am doing 500% more work than I was told I'd be doing. Which is fine, but it is much more work than I anticipated. I am not saying I 100% deserve a raise since I've only been here for almost 10 months.

But there was a 'new hire' back in January who just graduated college in 2018. She didn't have any experience in her position now, so she is pretty junior. When hiring her, the hiring took a bit longer than expected so they threw an extra 10k on her salary because they 'felt bad'.

Just found out from the Director of HR that she will be receiving a raise for all the help that she has brought the company. Which is fine, but I know she isn't doing more work than I am.

Now I feel like I am putting in all of this extra work and time (9+ hour days/working when I get home) for nothing.

Am I wrong to feel a little jilted by this? Makes me now only want to do the bare minimum and not go the extra mile, since it's apparent that I am not valued here.

I am moving back to the west coast in the fall, so I'd just like to ride this job out so I am here for a year.
I understand exactly how you feel. At my work, they hired a brand new kid who knows nothing, and they have given him more hours per week than the rest of us who have been there for years. I exploded, left that place, and have moved to another job because of it.

Companies have no loyalty anymore and do some really stupid stuff. They expect loyalty from you, but do not give it back, and they wonder why employees are indifferent any more.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:15 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
That's a good idea. I'll try that when it gets slightly closer to my 1-year
If you’re there 10 months it’s a good time now to set it up. Assuming it takes a couple of weeks before you actually meet you want time before a “formal review” to internalize what was said.

But again, DO NOT mention anyone else’s salary or raise. This is about you and the value YOU bring. I’m sure as a recruiter you know what your market rate is...

Old 06-07-2019, 08:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
And the worst part is that the HR Director is NEW. She started a month ago. Which is why If ind it really odd that she is already blabbing about other employees' raises.
Was she the one who gave the raise, or facilitated it? Maybe she feels like she accomplished something “good” in her first few weeks.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:22 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
if you're in a contracting company, it's possible that you are overhead and her salary is getting paid by the contracts she's working on. In other words, it's no skin off their nose to give her more, especially if the client is super happy with her.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Was she the one who gave the raise, or facilitated it? Maybe she feels like she accomplished something “good” in her first few weeks.
Nope. She had nothing to do with it. She doesn't have anything to do with raises or compensation

Old 06-07-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
if you're in a contracting company, it's possible that you are overhead and her salary is getting paid by the contracts she's working on. In other words, it's no skin off their nose to give her more, especially if the client is super happy with her.
She isn't on one of the contracts. She technically works for the company, not a contracted-employee

Old 06-07-2019, 11:42 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Why is the HR director discussing another employee's salary and performance with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment