Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 03:43 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
She didn't claim everyone was sexually harassed. That was explained to you twice, So...why are you still repeating the same misinterpretation?

Birdie Bell's link included street harassment in the stats; it wasn't limited to harassment at work. Did you read the article?

You're a great spin doctor. Still not sure why you're trying to stir up controversy on a thread where the responses to the OP have been pretty straightforward. I guess some people need their daily drama fix...?
Well, Ruth4Truth has the proper interpretation of what I said. Everyone CAN be harassed, doesn't mean everyone IS or HAS BEEN harassed.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:37 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,650 times
Quote:
She didn't claim everyone was sexually harassed. That was explained to you twice, So...why are you still repeating the same misinterpretation?

Birdie Bell's link included street harassment in the stats; it wasn't limited to harassment at work. Did you read the article?

You're a great spin doctor. Still not sure why you're trying to stir up controversy on a thread where the responses to the OP have been pretty straightforward. I guess some people need their daily drama fix...?
78,000 posts in eight years, and I need my daily fix? You're literally making things up by saying "we're all in agreement", and I'm the one causing drama?

Are you familiar with the definition and meaning of ALL?

Old 06-03-2019, 04:40 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Well, Ruth4Truth has the proper interpretation of what I said. Everyone CAN be harassed, doesn't mean everyone IS or HAS BEEN harassed.
I apologize for not speaking I say one thing, but mean something else.

"Sexual harassment happens to everyone". Those were your exact words.

If you don't want to be "misinterpreted" then maybe you should stay away from making definitive statements.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:45 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post

If you don't want to be "misinterpreted" then maybe you should stay away from making definitive statements.
Context is everything. Since you say you're an employer, Im sure you understand that. It's clear that you do, because each time you quote that line, you deliberately exclude the rest of the sentence, the key words, "men, too".

Old 06-03-2019, 04:53 PM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Classic. Just one post above you ocnjgirl disagrees and says IT IS more prevalent.

And, Birdie Belle who posted a link that says 80% of all women have experienced it.

Or the 61 year old who says it's "way more prevalent"

Or the one who claims everyone is sexually harassed.

It appears, we're not all in agreement......

I do think it's more prevalent than people realize, just as things like child sexual abuse are much more common than people realize (just going by my own experiences, it amazes me that any child got to a8 without any incidents, I had 2 experiences before 12, and multiple as a teen). I just don't think it rises to a level of filing complaints. Like I said back in the day it was just accepted (just like it was accepted on Mad Men).

Quote:
Context is everything. Since you say you're an employer, Im sure you understand that. It's clear that you do, because each time you quote that line, you deliberately exclude the rest of the sentence, the key words, "men, too".
I exclude "men too" because it's irrelevant to the meaning of the sentence it "happens to everyone". Not, that it can happen, or that it will happen.

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Quote:

Considering at least two other posters have acknowledged the correct context with that post, I don't think I'm the problem here.

Besides if you have spent the past few pages in this thread arguing with other posters about the interpretation of one single sentence I wrote prior, instead of actually providing facts and statistics regarding your position, you have an incredibly weak argument.

I still stand by my original comment where I believe you are only here to antagonize and not participate in an articulate debate. Feel free to prove me wrong, though.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
[/b]

It is naive to think women are somehow innocent in all this. Do you know how many times I've been proposed to in my role as a management consultant and a business owner? Way more times than I've seen a creep try to cop a feel, or offer a promotion for services in exchange?

Yet in all my times of finding myself in uncomfortable positions, not once was I not able to handle it. We're humans. Often we see our bosses/co-workers/clients more than we see our partners/spouses. We sometimes say and/or do things that we otherwise wouldn't do. I don't think that's harassment, as much as people trying to fill a void in their life.

It would be a lot healthier conversation if the narrative wasn't simply: men are creeps, and women are victims. It's a bit more complicated than that.
Sure, it would great if all people were capable of policing themselves. Unfortunately, there are situations of repeated, unwanted sexual advances, or situations where a person is made to feel threatened or intimidated by such behavior. No one should have to go to work and deal with that. It effects morale, productivity, is just plain humiliating and demeaning. I’m glad that you, in a position of authority and power, were able to handle it; these policies are in place for employees who don’t have that luxury.

I do agree with you that we need to stop using language that reinforces women being inherently innocent victims. Yes, statistically the most common situation is a male harassing a female, but there are instances where women are the perpetrators... as well as men sexually harassing other men. That’s ironically how my husband ended up in this gig: being on the receiving ended of repeated sexual advances by another man. He experienced just how tough it is for men to identify when “locker room talk” crosses the line into harassment, as well as just how tough it is for men to file a complaint when they are socialized to just suck it up and deal with it. Which only perpetuates the cycle of sheltering the harasser.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I do think it's more prevalent than people realize, just as things like child sexual abuse are much more common than people realize (just going by my own experiences, it amazes me that any child got to a8 without any incidents, I had 2 experiences before 12, and multiple as a teen). I just don't think it rises to a level of filing complaints. Like I said back in the day it was just accepted (just like it was accepted on Mad Men).
My disagreement isn't whether or not it happens, or I'm pro-man and anti-woman. I think the problem is valid and requires a thoughtful discussion. Where we disagree is on the a.) severity of the problem, and b.) women's complicity in all this.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Considering at least two other posters have acknowledged the correct context with that post, I don't think I'm the problem here.

Besides if you have spent the past few pages in this thread arguing with other posters about the interpretation of one single sentence I wrote prior, instead of actually providing facts and statistics regarding your position, you have an incredibly weak argument.

I still stand by my original comment where I believe you are only here to antagonize and not participate in an articulate debate. Feel free to prove me wrong, though.
You're kidding, right? I'm the only guy here, and there are four-five of you. If I wasn't interested in having an articulate debate, I would have made some passive-aggressive statement, called you names and cut out.

And, I don't need anyone explaining any context or meaning to me.

Stop making definitive statements if you don't want them to be interpreted as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment