Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 01:33 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboyclub View Post
I was taking classes in three different departments during grad school. My grad degree was in one department, and my advisor was in another department. I double majored during my bachelor's degree. So, this was possible for me to do. Additionally, the real department head went on sabbatical for the entire length of my master's, and they made one of the professors take his place temporarily. The professor who took his place was probably a little rusty on what the degree requirements were. I was also having trouble receiving emails during this time. Many important emails would go to my clutter folder, and I was getting spammed.

At my school, they expect you to do what you're suppose to do without being reminded or directly informed, I guess. It just so happened that I was directly informed to do what I wasn't suppose to, by accident.
In any college, you apply for graduation and that starts the transaction of notices for graduation, a listing of what requirements are remaining or not, things for you to sign, if you owe money or not, graduation ceremony, review of transcripts, etc. What the faculty is doing has nothing to do with it even in the smallest of colleges, because someone in the college's front office does the evaluation of the course work when you apply for graduation. You would have gotten many notices along the way for this. Not to mention that every college makes a big deal informing everyone about commencement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 02:19 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a lie require an intention to deceive? Making a false statement deliberately? You didn't intend to mislead, you made an incorrect assumption.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:05 AM

3,694 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
I spoke to the real department head about this, and he told me that I should have been aware what the degree requirements were. It is suppose to be my responsibility to know what the requirements are, regardless of what anyone tells me. On the website, it does say MS students need to take an oral exam, but I trusted the professor who was filling in for the department head. The real department head was on sabbatical and there was a temp department head in his place. I don't think the temp department head realized that he gave me the wrong advice. I also received the same advice from another student. I guess we were all uninformed. It was a case of horrible advising.

Do you think this is something I should talk to the university about? It seems like I got advised to do the wrong thing. Once I got into the internship, my life was completely consumed by it. I haven't had time to reflect back on this dilemma until now. I considered complaining to the university at the time it happened, but didn't. I do agree with the actual department head, that I should know the requirements based off of what is written on the website, but I can't help but feel like I've been misinformed.
If someone is doing the role of the Dept Head why would you nor anyone not believe it?

Horrible screw up by this Uni.

Overpriced, Educrats, education.

I suppose getting a lawyer would lead to even more problems.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:15 AM

407 posts, read 370,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
In any college, you apply for graduation and that starts the transaction of notices for graduation, a listing of what requirements are remaining or not, things for you to sign, if you owe money or not, graduation ceremony, review of transcripts, etc. What the faculty is doing has nothing to do with it even in the smallest of colleges, because someone in the college's front office does the evaluation of the course work when you apply for graduation. You would have gotten many notices along the way for this. Not to mention that every college makes a big deal informing everyone about commencement.
Yep, this. I find it very hard to believe OP didn't get notices about this and could see that an oral exam was listed as not complete. Unless OP just assumed that it didn't matter because of something the temp dept. head said (and I assume this was spoken and not documented via email or similar?)

OP - are you trying to get the college to waive this requirement or are you going to sit for the orals to complete it?

Old 09-06-2019, 10:01 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
If someone is doing the role of the Dept Head why would you nor anyone not believe it?

The OP is supposed to be getting a graduate degree. Presumably at that level, he should have the intelligence/savvy to review the requirement for his degree. Typically when you get a master’s degree, there is some sort of examination/thesis requirement. Most of your classmates would be talking about it. I know when I got my master’s degree, we had 2 exams and when it was time to do those exams and people were preparing for them, it was all anyone was talking about. It was pretty hard to miss that they were required. You would really have to make an effort to be that clueless. It was made clear to us from day one that in order to graduate, we had to take and pass two written examinations.

There should have also been some website showing the outstanding requirements for graduation- credits, examination, etc. I just can’t believe it is that easy to miss.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:16 AM

10 posts, read 10,504 times
Like I previously stated, I was taking classes in three different departments during my MS degree. Also, my advisor was in a different department than the department my degree was being awarded in. My advisor had no idea what my degree requirements were, because he was in a different department.

This was possible because I double majored during my BS. I actually just went where the funding was. I couldn't get funding in the department I was getting my master's degree from, so I went to another department and found funding.

So, a lot of people in my classes were not in the same degree program as I. Most of everyone in my degree program are PhD students, as well. Of the master's students, I and another student were the only ones I knew pursuing a non-thesis master's. This other student told me that I did not need to take an oral exam. I first argued with him, because
the degree requirements are listed on the department website and say an oral exam must be taken. He assured me that it is not updated.

At first I did not believe him, but after I passed the qualifying exam at the PhD level, I went into the office of the professor filling in for the department head and asked him what else was needed. He told me I was good to go. I asked him about the oral requirement and if he was sure. He assured me that master's students do not have to take an oral exam. I later confronted him after I realized I had not graduated, and he apologized and said he had made a mistake. I will not explain this again or try any further to convince anyone that it happened.

Anyways, HR sent me an email today and said they are looking forward to meeting with me on Monday. Lol. So, either they didn't read my email carefully, or do not care that I still have to take an oral exam. I am currently trying to schedule it as soon as possible. I am registered for a research credit and am enrolled in the Fall semester to get this taken care of. I am known as a pretty good student. It came as a surprise to everyone that something like this happened.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:28 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
The responsibility is yours and yours alone to meet graduation requirements, no matter what department your advisor is in, who else is taking the same program, etc.

Better prep for the test.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a lie require an intention to deceive? Making a false statement deliberately? You didn't intend to mislead, you made an incorrect assumption.
That technicality isn't going to matter.

Incorrect information regarding if you have a degree or not, is considered a lie. It would be like claiming you didn't realize you don't have a driver's license. Anyone who drives a car is expected to know if they have a driver's license issued by the state. Anyone who has attended college there is a reasonable expectation that they would know if they were awarded a degree from that institution or not, especially when you take into consideration the huge amount of effort and expense that's involved in attending college.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

Have you graduated college? Or know someone who has gone through the process? It would be impossible to miss this.

There is no screw-up by the University here. No need for an attorney.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:42 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
I didn't think it was a big deal until now. It just kind of dawned on me today.
This is a common frame of mind for most Americans. It's never a big deal until other people's incompetence royally screws your life up. This is precisely why I have a cynical outlook on most things related to business. You can never rely on accurate information these days except maybe with the blockchain which requires in some cases 12 verifications to settle a transaction. In academia one dumb professor can theoretically ruin everything and potentially cost you tens of thousands of dollars in additional tuition.

Too much power in the hands of too few. I just checked my degree verification last month because a co-worker of mine found out the hard way (job offer rescinded) that her degree was never verified properly and she actually didn't graduate and was one credit shy or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment