Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 07:18 AM

407 posts, read 370,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboyclub View Post
This is the last post I will make. I wanted to let everyone know what happened. I didn't get this far in the application process simply because I put master's degree on my resume. I'm not a slacker or a total idiot. The HR guy must have saw something extra in me to let me continue, something that's not just a stamp on a piece of paper.
It's also possible that the HR guy's job was in jeopardy as he didn't complete a full check on your resume. Maybe he was supposed to verify your degree but didn't. Regardless, glad you're safe and that you'll get your degree completed. Don't forget to update your resume with your actual graduation date when received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 08:09 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
It's also possible that the HR guy's job was in jeopardy as he didn't complete a full check on your resume. Maybe he was supposed to verify your degree but didn't. Regardless, glad you're safe and that you'll get your degree completed. Don't forget to update your resume with your actual graduation date when received.
Nah. HR doesn't actually do the background checks. A third-party company does them and then sends a report back to HR if the background check passed or has things which can't be verified.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:18 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
You have to apply for graduation in advance not at the end of your term. Oh well...

Yes, this would be an extremely lucky story if this were a 1970s made for TV movie. But in 2019 in real life, unless you are applying for a job bagging groceries I don't see how you can walk into the building where HR is to someone's desk and speak to them. There is security to prevent this at any good company now. Considering the competition of people who have degrees and know they have them, that certainly makes them much less clueless than someone who doesn't. I can't seen someone in HR risk pushing someone through without it.

This has been an entertaining thread, but it lacks credibility to be taken seriously at this point.

But it was fun discussing it.
No, I disagree. I can walk over to my HR office at any time and speak to somebody. This has been true at my last several employers. I also deal with many consultants in my particular line of work, so I am at other people’s business locations often enough to have a basic familiarity. Their HR offices are not behind security as you suggest.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:41 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
No, I disagree. I can walk over to my HR office at any time and speak to somebody. This has been true at my last several employers. I also deal with many consultants in my particular line of work, so I am at other people’s business locations often enough to have a basic familiarity. Their HR offices are not behind security as you suggest.
But you are already employed there. You have access to the building. Could someone just off the street walk into the building with no security and walk right into your HR's office?

In the corporations I've dealt with and where I am now, you can't walk in off the street into HR or any place. You come into a lobby, and security asks if they can help you.

I can't imagine any HR person wanting to be so accessible to the public like that, that would allow people to walk in off the streets to their desk. There would be no place for them to hide.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:59 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
But you are already employed there. You have access to the building. Could someone just off the street walk into the building with no security and walk right into your HR's office?

In the corporations I've dealt with and where I am now, you can't walk in off the street into HR or any place. You come into a lobby, and security asks if they can help you.

I can't imagine any HR person wanting to be so accessible to the public like that, that would allow people to walk in off the streets to their desk. There would be no place for them to hide.
OP is currently employed at his location as well, just as an intern. He presumably has as much access to HR as any other employee.

Yes, HR at my current employer is open. They have a receptionist, but it isn’t hard to tell that person that they need to see X and gain access. This seems fairly typical. There is a gatekeeper if sorts at most places, but if you are polite you can usually get a meeting with somebody. Might not be who you want to speak with, but you might get lucky as well.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:03 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Nah. HR doesn't actually do the background checks. A third-party company does them and then sends a report back to HR if the background check passed or has things which can't be verified.
It depends on the company. That isn’t necessarily true. Some companies will pay outside vendors to do the check and some employers (particularly government/public sector employers) will have internal employees do the checking.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:23 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I am curious - What field is the degree in?
Masters degree in liberal social justice. (Online).

Electives - entitlement.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:12 AM

596 posts, read 252,937 times
....just show a transcript of current grades and explain xyz in process of degree completion xyz year.
people list degrees on resume that they haven't completed yet just explain technically still in school.

CPA, CFA, Master, undergrad students list these credentials all the time and no one bats an eye

Old 09-16-2019, 12:52 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
Quote:
Yes, of course, you are correct. It is a weird idea to assume that people who attend a college, are on campus for a couple of years or more can be entirely oblivious to any sort of concepts of what is going on around them including notices sent and conversations with fellow students, faculty and notices posted. Reading the college bulletin. Yes, a weird idea of mine indeed. People should just take whatever classes they want and walk out of there when they have enough claiming they have a degree with a diploma in hand. But wait, you must apply for graduation to get a diploma. Another weird idea, that people who have a college degree would not get a diploma either. Wait, let me check, yes, indeed I do declare I have a college diploma on my wall. Isn't that weird, how did that get there? Thanks for straightening us all out on this impeccable piece of logic.

As a hiring manager, I would certainly not be concerned if someone said they had a degree and it failed a background check, I will just assume some professional told them they met all the requirements and just waltzed off campus. I won't for a moment think the person is a liar or simply clueless.

You crack me up. You say one thing (a post talking about parties, banners, etc and that's how college students know they're graduating), then I tell you that's not how it works, then you explain to me how it works and basically showing me that you're first post was a joke. Thanks for the laugh. You have a great day now!

Old 09-20-2019, 09:21 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
A lot of ASSumptions in this thread. Geez ...

I was in the same boat with my bachelor's degree - I took a 200 level Spanish course - the only Spanish course I hadn't yet taken - my senior year to get enough foreign language credits for my degree. My adviser said the 200 level class wouldn't satisfy the requirements for my degree, but that he would classify the course as a 400 level Independent Study course. He assured me I'd have the proper credits for my degree, and that the 400-level class would get me a minor in Spanish. Every communication I had concerning that course during the semester led me to believe I would get 400 level credits for that class. A week before graduation, I found out the course number had never been changed - whether it was my adviser or someone higher up that didn't make the change, I don't know - and I would not graduate because I didn't have enough upper-level credits in Spanish to satisfy my degree requirements. Thank goodness I had only two final exams that week, because it took the entire week to iron out everything and qualify for graduation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment