Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Employer requested you WFH because of coronavirus risk?
Yes, I've been told to WFH due to the risk. 2 5.26%
No, no discuss or options given. 32 84.21%
My idiot employer thinks everything in the news is fake. 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 08:18 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,539,754 times

Advertisements

My company canceled all trip to affected regions, and is imposing a 2-week quarantine for anyone who did recently travel where they can't come into office and should WFH.

I have been slowing increasing my WFH time. I'm actually home right now. On the days I do go into the office, I can tell traffic is much lighter. I imagine many people are doing the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 07:23 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,945,794 times
major employers should have business continuity plans in place- including travel restrictions and WFH options for those that can and need to.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:54 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,350,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's all a bit simplistic, though. Office workers aren't the only people at risk or who work around many people, and even if service workers and other people who can't work from home got paid to take time off of work, that many people staying out of the workplace could be damaging to society and business. If all of the cashiers and food service workers don't go to work to avoid sick people, where does that leave retail and restaurants? What happens to transit if bus drivers and flight attendents stay home?
I think the big thing will be that those who can work remotely should in impacted areas. There's just no need to add additional risk where it isn't necessary.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:19 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,266,713 times
My hope is that businesses realize the benefits of technology and WFH for many roles and this becomes "sticky".

I had a prior employer reduce WFH (likely as a way to increase voluntary attrition) and it did nothing to add productivity.

Between broadband, videoconferencing, email, instant messaging, etc. there is little that a disciplined worker can't do from home that requires going to the office every day.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:55 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
My hope is that businesses realize the benefits of technology and WFH for many roles and this becomes "sticky".

I had a prior employer reduce WFH (likely as a way to increase voluntary attrition) and it did nothing to add productivity.

Between broadband, videoconferencing, email, instant messaging, etc. there is little that a disciplined worker can't do from home that requires going to the office every day.
The purpose of working from office:
- employee surveillance (they walk by and look at your screen).
- "collaboration", when employees in a Starbucks style common area chit chat all day and teamwork the job to be done. It's a myth, but there are many believers. Corporate social utopia requires crowded spaces.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,599 posts, read 81,279,384 times
I cannot respond to the poll because there is no suitable option. I have already been working from home at times, such as snow days, or if I have an appointment near home in the middle of the day (as happened yesterday). There are a large percentage of IT people that work from home all the time, in the interest of reducing commute trips. There has been no change since the virus, though I expect people that are known to have been exposed to work from home for a few weeks even if they didn't before. For meetings, we have found that products like Skype and Webex can be problematic, a lot of time wasted getting it working.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:47 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,732,988 times
I work from home, so for me it's a non-issue.

My husband and son work in the construction trade. Most of the time, they are the only two working in a newly constructed house. So while they can't work at home, obviously, I think they're about as safe as they can be. Unless another contractor (a painter, a cabinet installer, etc or the homeowner is in the new (not ready to be lived in) home hacking and sneezing all over everything, they are really only at risk of getting sick when they go to lunch (since they typically will buy a sandwich at a convenience store or sometimes something at a grocery store).

We have had one positive diagnosis (meaning one hospitalized individual who was tested despite not having traveled to China/Italy/Iran) in our county, so it's in the community.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:18 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,376,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I cannot respond to the poll because there is no suitable option. I have already been working from home at times, such as snow days, or if I have an appointment near home in the middle of the day (as happened yesterday). There are a large percentage of IT people that work from home all the time, in the interest of reducing commute trips. There has been no change since the virus, though I expect people that are known to have been exposed to work from home for a few weeks even if they didn't before. For meetings, we have found that products like Skype and Webex can be problematic, a lot of time wasted getting it working.
You would answer "No" to the poll.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:18 PM

1,159 posts, read 621,526 times
No lol because people are sheep believing this hype

Old 03-05-2020, 10:22 PM

1,159 posts, read 621,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Grocery delivery is easier than ever. I can order groceries on my phone and they're on my doorstep in a couple hours. And why would someone need to do their laundry? I don't need to leave home to do my laundry.
Sigh.... do you realize how many people have touched your grocery delivery box? Did they wash their hands? You wouldn't know.
Many people in apartments or poor people do use public laundry facilities and laundromat. So there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment