Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Employer requested you WFH because of coronavirus risk?
Yes, I've been told to WFH due to the risk. 2 5.26%
No, no discuss or options given. 32 84.21%
My idiot employer thinks everything in the news is fake. 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 09:50 PM

34,157 posts, read 17,231,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
CNN was talking about the remote working thing being a way of life in the future for most americans. Not sure what planet they are living on. Not all of us have jobs to where we can work from home. Not all of us are white collar execs. Some of us have to actually go to work to... WORK. Not all positions can be done remotely
Most white collar roles can be done wfh effectively. We had dozens of remote meetings this week, involving over 100 staff in total, and many issues were resolved.

The corp which cannot deal with wfh is dysfunctional to start with.

We are in NYC, and we want a skeleton crew in our office this week. We will average under 50% on site every single day, with no known end date yet. And we are still doing extremely well, both in terms of health and results for the corp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 01:45 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,417,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
CNN was talking about the remote working thing being a way of life in the future for most americans. Not sure what planet they are living on. Not all of us have jobs to where we can work from home. Not all of us are white collar execs. Some of us have to actually go to work to... WORK. Not all positions can be done remotely

Watch productivity completely swirl down the toilet if we create this utopian, Remote employment everywhere as well. Ive seen it first hand with many "remote working managers" at my places of employment. They serve no purpose, never around to actually the issues that actually go on to fix them, and good look getting ahold of them most of the time. Any place I have worked, when more and more position started going "remote" thats when operations and the overall companies hit the crapper
Curious what your current job is? You seem so jaded. True a lot of jobs can’t be done remotely and they are “white collar” but it’s not just “white collar execs” that have remote jobs. I’ve had remote jobs and I am no where near being a white collar exec.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:14 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,422,136 times
Yesterday my accounting firm sent out an email that everyone has the option to WFH from now on. The only thing is, we are not 100% paperless, so workers will still have to go in to pick up and drop things off.

My computer setup at work is much better than at home and my driving commute is not bad, so I will keep going in, for now.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:04 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,951,590 times
we now have about 75,000 people working from home

Old 03-14-2020, 09:14 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,598,007 times
i feel like in 9 months there will be a lot of kids named covid or corona.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:33 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,412,446 times
My company has been giving daily updates on the virus but only about a third of the workforce are working from home. I get a feeling a majority of that number usually work from home anyways. I’m not sure why they haven’t yet mandated that all eligible employees work from home. Even the governor has recommended doing so.

They keep saying they are testing resiliency plans. We do business continuity testing twice a year. Now when it’s time to implement, the higher ups are shuffling their feet. I don’t get it.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:10 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,724,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
My company has been giving daily updates on the virus but only about a third of the workforce are working from home. I get a feeling a majority of that number usually work from home anyways. I’m not sure why they haven’t yet mandated that all eligible employees work from home. Even the governor has recommended doing so.

They keep saying they are testing resiliency plans. We do business continuity testing twice a year. Now when it’s time to implement, the higher ups are shuffling their feet. I don’t get it.
Yep, same. I work for the federal government in a public facing office that serves a vulnerable population. We had a meeting Wednesday and were told no extra steps would be taken to make sure that the office was cleaned to higher standards. We got another email yesterday saying that telework policies were not to be changed. My agency is one that has recently stripped down telework and seems to want to continue this out of principle, but it makes no sense in this situation.

Our ventilation system is awful. We have people regularly coughing in the lobby area and in the regular office and people have been complaining for years about it. It is in a leased structure. People are worried about the safety of the workers and of the public who has to come in. There were no provisions yet rolled out to offer the public options to have appointments via telephone instead of making them come into an office even though in my local area (I am in Chicagoland) many of the public buildings like the courts, etc. are shut.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:17 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,191,651 times
I would much rather work at home. My dream is to never work in public spaces again.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:46 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,577,263 times
My wife works in Healthcare Administration so she's going to be doing overtime until further notice due to an influx of coronavirus patients at the hospital. My ED e-mailed staff earlier this week giving them the option to work from home, and just about the entire staff (myself included) took the option. Only senior management will be working at the company headquarters.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:40 PM

26,277 posts, read 49,204,030 times
Here's a great graphic on all the large firms that do NOT offer paid sick leave to employees and how many employees do not have this benefit. For some reason this chart is truncated.

It reads like a who's who of American business, and IMO is a rather sad reality. I see only two major hotel chains in the group and find it ironic that one of these firms was founded by a devoutly religious man .... so much for the Sermon on the Mount .....

The full chart was part of this story in the NY Times.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-14-2020 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment