Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Employer requested you WFH because of coronavirus risk?
Yes, I've been told to WFH due to the risk. 2 5.26%
No, no discuss or options given. 32 84.21%
My idiot employer thinks everything in the news is fake. 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 12:00 PM

23,575 posts, read 24,102,669 times

Advertisements

We’re sadly already in one. The question is how long this will last. Hoping everyone comes out of this relatively unscathed. This will pass at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 12:08 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,503,638 times
This is what I received from our Director at Caltrans (CA Dept of Transportation):

Essential Functions are those functions that must be continued under any and all circumstances. Essential functions are those functions that enable organizations to provide vital services, exercise civil authority, maintain the safety and well-being of the general populous, and sustain the industrial/economic base in an emergency”.

Caltrans as an organization does perform critical and essential functions – and as an organization we are essential. We must and will provide continuity of our operations and the necessary services we provide to all Californians.

However, not every specific job function in Caltrans falls under the definition of an “Essential Function”.

For example, our district office has very few people that are more narrowly defined as being an “Essential Function”. Many of us have business critical functions, and important functions but not defined as “Essential Functions”.

On the other hand, the large majority of our field staff in (highway) maintenance and construction perform essential functions and as stated in Director Omishakin ‘s Letter “if you cannot telework you will continue to report to your place of work and continue practicing social distancing protocols”.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:16 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,896,204 times
Essential functions

Food
Water
Medicine
Utilities
Alcohol
Manufacturing

Could software fall underneath this? Certainly, if the code supports a site or application that supports an essential industry.

Do you need to do this on-site? I wouldn't think so.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:24 PM

Wink WFH in my PJ's?

I am just starting to WFH, on Monday. I was issued a laptop on Friday. I do HR for a CA State office, and lots of work is done by computer, however, some of my work is truly 'paperwork'. Yet, I think (assume - have to ask my boss) I will be allowed to visit the office briefly to do a few things that I can't do from home. Maybe it's less than I think it will be - but I do deal with a lot of actual 'paper' forms and files, that have to be submitted hard copy for processing.

Anyway, another question.....

For those who have WFH experience - what do you find most different? Like how does it change your 'daily routine'? Do you get up and dress for work similarly (I probably shouldn't WFH in my robe? ) Is your eating, snack and break schedule roughly the same? How do you handle household 'interruptions'?

I'm also thinking I will need to start a detailed task list of where I left off with something that may have to be done at the office - generate an org chart, submit or mail forms for processing, etc - so I don't forget something vital.

Anyway, thank you for your insights and advice!!

Old 03-22-2020, 04:51 PM

782 posts, read 510,624 times
Just started the WFH thing, but I figure I'll save about $1,200 a year in gas and may get an insurance discount, too. My commute is go upstairs to my office, which is a spare bedroom kitted out as an office. Wife and I are empty-nesters, so there's no little ones running about. I brought my work laptop home with me, and our company has a function called CHAT, that works somewhat like texting on the phone, and BTW, my phone bill will certainly go up. I may go up to the next data-use level. I work in sweatpants, T-shirt and sweatshirt, slippers. I try to keep with my schedule, 8-5, lunch at noon, 1 hour, so if I get an email/text at 12:30, well, I'm at lunch downstairs. If all goes according to plan, I may be able to take this job to TX with me when we move there later this year. But, you know what they say; want to make God laugh? Make a plan. Just thankful I still have a job.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:54 PM

BMW R1100 - Thank you!!

Old 03-23-2020, 07:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,333,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Essential functions

Food
Water
Medicine
Utilities
Alcohol
Manufacturing

Could software fall underneath this? Certainly, if the code supports a site or application that supports an essential industry.

Do you need to do this on-site? I wouldn't think so.
For example, my job is considered essential, in utilities, as the administrator for the database management/billing system. The various software we use for this would also then be considered essential along with the IT support people. Software such as Facebook, Minecraft, or GameMaker, not so much.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:11 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Yoga

Old 03-23-2020, 07:16 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,561,611 times
unless your services keep a hospital computer system going, as an example, probably not essential.

Most IT type functions can be done from home anyways, that includes software development?

Old 03-23-2020, 07:52 AM

132 posts, read 76,205 times
Our company hasn’t advised either way. It seems like most companies have a reason to be opened. Not many I know have closed their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment