Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Employer requested you WFH because of coronavirus risk?
Yes, I've been told to WFH due to the risk. 2 5.26%
No, no discuss or options given. 32 84.21%
My idiot employer thinks everything in the news is fake. 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 07:34 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,800,844 times

Advertisements

For everyone who i reporting, it ould be great to list which state or major city you are in. That is very relevant information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockruhtese View Post
My department has been told to work from home until further notice. This will probably be for the next 3 weeks at least.
2-3 months likely, or even more. Probably 2 months forced, plus several more months precautionary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
I'm in a public library system, and while I think some in upper management might be able to do some things from home, most of the staff can't. (Among other things, our circulation system isn't set up that way)
Probably closing the library within a few days for a few months. That would be paid or unpaid leave for everyone. Maybe management will order all of you to engage in cataloging (wfh) or online trainings in the meantime. They have to be creative. Administrative overhead might be full time for few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 08:39 PM

925 posts, read 758,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Probably closing the library within a few days for a few months. That would be paid or unpaid leave for everyone. Maybe management will order all of you to engage in cataloging (wfh) or online trainings in the meantime. They have to be creative. Administrative overhead might be full time for few months.
To be honest, I hope it doesn't get to that point where we close. Reason being that part-time employees like myself don't get a huge amount of paid leave, and I just can't afford to lose that money out of my paycheck. (among other things, I'm trying to pay off a lot of large medical bills.)

But I do know that those in Administration are looking at all options, and because so many of us are part-time, they're doing what they can.

(oh yes, and I forgot to mention that I'm in Phoenix, Arizona)

Old 03-16-2020, 07:05 AM

35,253 posts, read 31,606,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Most companies I've worked for (including current employer) have tended to be real old school about WFH. I'm in accounting, and pretty much all the companies I've worked for had WFH capability, but it was restricted to bad weather/verified sick issues. So I was shocked when last friday a company wide email was sent out telling us to work from home till further notice. I really thought my employer would have to be dragged kicking and screaming, but they were remarkably proactive about this. Ironically, my brother works in accounting also for a big hospital in Dallas, who have actually admitted covid 19 positive patients, and they are still required to come in to work daily as of this time. Crazy.
To me, this is a very bad look for a health system.

You would think that a hospital system would want to be as proactive as possible about social distancing, and that it would be positive press for them to release office staff to telecommute. Hospitals are very conservative about this type of thing, and I think it will come back to haunt them.

I just have no idea why the hell you'd have office staff like this in a hospital with coronavirus patients right now. Horrible optics.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:41 AM

2,905 posts, read 2,221,661 times
Default covid 19 remote work

I work for a mid-sized oil and gas company in Houston and my employer does not have a company wide remote work policy for the time being. Instead it is left up to the discretion of individual managers. I might be able to pull it off for two weeks but probably not for the CDC recommended 8 weeks. There are definitely more than 50 people in the office on a regular workday.
What's everyone's work situation like?

Old 03-16-2020, 09:04 AM

925 posts, read 758,957 times
I work in a public library system, and just found out last night that as of this morning, the buildings and bookdrop returns will be closed. I don't yet know what this means for staff - have to go in and report this morning, and will find out more then.

Unfortunately, most positions in the library aren't set up to do remote working, and while I do have some paid sick leave saved up, my concern is when that runs out, and having to lose money out of my paycheck. (although I'm hoping it won't get to that point.......so far, the virus has been very mild here as far as outbreaks)

Old 03-16-2020, 10:27 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,929,481 times
I'm in NYC (well I live just outside the city, in Westchester County, the hotbed in our state....my office is located in Manhattan).

As of Thursday evening, everyone in our very very large company, across North America, is working remotely until further notice. We all have laptops, and a pre-existing generous WFH policy, so not much changes except that now we're ALL working remotely instead of some people on any given day.

Old 03-16-2020, 02:35 PM

6,496 posts, read 9,885,100 times
We were told Friday evening that only half of us should be at work at one time, then today they ended up changing it and sending most everyone else home to work. Some people aren't allowed to because of their job type but most of us were sent to wfh for the rest of the week at least.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:55 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,800,844 times
I'm in Santa Clara California.
CDC issued guidance last week for my county for everyone who can should WFH. The company managers still say it is optional. Today the county issued a stay at home order (you can go to grocery store), but my colleagues are still in the office (I have been at home 2.5 weeks already). My friend's company does not allow people still to work from home. So, company requires them to be in office, while the sheriff will issue fines and arrest for people going around nonessential (not healthcare or food worker).

Old 03-17-2020, 06:38 AM

20,080 posts, read 9,610,292 times
Until yesterday, my husband worked for an engineering firm that only does design for the oil and gas industry. (They design power systems.) Yesterday, all but a handful of people out of about 60 employees were laid off. My husband is 63, and we have savings (mostly not in stocks), so I hope that we will be fine; and we just hope that he can wait until he is at least 66 before he starts collecting Social Security, at which point Social Security would be enough to cover all our expenses.

Coincidentally, just before he called to tell me the news, I had phoned to give notice at MY part-time retail "hobby job" because I am 66 and don't want to risk getting sick from working with about a dozen or so customers an hour, but my boss very nicely said that he understood my concerns and that I should just end my employment immediately. (Btw, I started collecting Social Security when I was 62, but that only amounts to about $1,200 a month.)

So, literally within four hours, our income decreased by slightly more than 75% -- my husband will be able to collect the maximum amount of Unemployment, but that is only about $2,100 a month, and only goes for six months -- plus we now have to pay for his insurance, which will take a huge chunk out of it. However, although I am feeling a bit nervous, I know that we are in much better shape than many other people because at least we have savings -- and so my biggest personal concern is that we will both live long enough to enjoy at least a dozen years of retirement together.

I do feel extremely sorry for all of the people who will lose their jobs and don't have at least six months' worth of savings to fall back on! Unlike many people, I know that it not usually their fault if they don't -- and in fact, it has only been in the last ten years that we have been able to save anything.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:22 AM

35,253 posts, read 31,606,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Until yesterday, my husband worked for an engineering firm that only does design for the oil and gas industry. (They design power systems.) Yesterday, all but a handful of people out of about 60 employees were laid off. My husband is 63, and we have savings (mostly not in stocks), so I hope that we will be fine; and we just hope that he can wait until he is at least 66 before he starts collecting Social Security, at which point Social Security would be enough to cover all our expenses.

Coincidentally, just before he called to tell me the news, I had phoned to give notice at MY part-time retail "hobby job" because I am 66 and don't want to risk getting sick from working with about a dozen or so customers an hour, but my boss very nicely said that he understood my concerns and that I should just end my employment immediately. (Btw, I started collecting Social Security when I was 62, but that only amounts to about $1,200 a month.)

So, literally within four hours, our income decreased by slightly more than 75% -- my husband will be able to collect the maximum amount of Unemployment, but that is only about $2,100 a month, and only goes for six months -- plus we now have to pay for his insurance, which will take a huge chunk out of it. However, although I am feeling a bit nervous, I know that we are in much better shape than many other people because at least we have savings -- and so my biggest personal concern is that we will both live long enough to enjoy at least a dozen years of retirement together.

I do feel extremely sorry for all of the people who will lose their jobs and don't have at least six months' worth of savings to fall back on! Unlike many people, I know that it not usually their fault if they don't -- and in fact, it has only been in the last ten years that we have been able to save anything.
There are going to be people left and right lining up with similar numbers.

Our manager is now sending us home. Officially, this isn't supported by the organization and there has been no broader message communicated by senior leadership. We've had a group of consultants in here and all those people are gone and working from home. There are a few people left here, but most will be gone by EOD.

Fortunately, I feel fairly safe given the nature of my job and the industry I'm in (healthcare), but I'm hearing of layoffs and furloughs left and right.

Higher paid people who can telecommute and such are going to be much better off than lower paid people who are more likely to become infected or completely out of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment