Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2022, 07:45 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times

Advertisements

Please stop suggesting the military. He needs vocational rehabilitation services. They will test him, train him and put him on a job track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 08:24 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,114,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Please stop suggesting the military. He needs vocational rehabilitation services. They will test him, train him and put him on a job track.
I think that people should only join the military if they actually want to join the military because they see the benefit in it.

There are other ways to "break you down, build you back up" than one that also requires you to potentially handle deadly weapons and armed combat. If military is that path, then you should want to do those things, for the right reasons like civic duty, national pride, and a strong core belief in what the military does. Going in because you're lost and clueless and have no skills is a surefire way to an early exit or resentment. This isn't like the movie, Stripes. It's real life.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:53 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
What were they diagnosed with. Did they all manage to reduce their anxiety and live a more normal life?

They are not you. You have never seen a doctor to even know what is wrong with you and if you can be helped by counseling or medications.

Right now due to COVID, there are a lot of people that have anxiety about going out of their house thinking they may get it and die.

You need to be an adult, go see a doctor. The sooner you do, the sooner the rest of your life will start.

You are very close to being homeless if something happens to your mother. Your step father could kick you out of the house, then what will you do? Is he really ok that you sit around doing nothing?

Now is the perfect time to get a job, as was mentioned, there are many businesses hiring right now. They will not even care that you do not have experience. You won't have to lie either. Once we go into a recession, getting a job will not be this easy because people will be losing their jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Usually it's a bit of trial and error to find the right meds that work for you. For many people, they take low dosages to take the edge off life. For others, they may need a combination of different drugs and different dosages. Different meds work better for different people. Which is why you need to consult your doctor on what the best strategy is for you.

Totally agree. OP may or may not even need medications. He's gotten through school without them. What has changed now?

Old 07-07-2022, 09:18 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,114,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Totally agree. OP may or may not even need medications. He's gotten through school without them. What has changed now?
I can't speak for OP, because it seems like this has been a prolonged, untreated issue. But generally speaking, for many people, adulthood is much less forgiving than childhood. My childhood was a breeze compared to the cruel realities of adulthood. Which is why I've taken more care of my mental health in my recent adult years than I ever needed to when I was living under my parents' roof.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:39 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I can't speak for OP, because it seems like this has been a prolonged, untreated issue. But generally speaking, for many people, adulthood is much less forgiving than childhood. My childhood was a breeze compared to the cruel realities of adulthood. Which is why I've taken more care of my mental health in my recent adult years than I ever needed to when I was living under my parents' roof.
And based on the OP's predicament, he was not just fine up until now without therapy or meds. He's in his 30s and has never had a job or left home. Who knows where he could be if he'd had mental health treatment earlier.

I recently got a diagnosis of ADHD as an adult, and it's been a gamechanger. Many behaviors and issues that I had that I thought were normal are actually treatable and not just a matter of my not caring or having enough willpower.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:46 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Back in June, 1944. A bunch of 18 yr old stormed the beaches of Omaha, Utah, Juno, etc. facing flying bullets from the machine guns. Many sacrificed but as result, it was the beginning of the U.S. victory in WW-II. Were they scare? Did they have Anxiety? you bet! But they marched on because of the sense of duty.

Social anxiety? Were you medically diagnosed? Otherwise, it sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. IMO, you had too comfortable life living with Mom & Dad. You've became soft & lazy. The best thing your parent can do is to kick you out of the house, then you have to go get a job.

Nothing like the need for money gives you the motivation you'll need. The motivation such as getting to work on time, complete the tasks assigned, and say "yes sir/ma'am".

If you lie just to get a job. You'll be fired in no time because of your laziness.

Do yourself a favor, go join the Army and let them shake the "social anxiety" out of you!
Thanks for the much needed laugh today.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:40 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
I think my life is evidence that I have extreme social phobia.
No, it is not. You were just shy and quiet. Not the same thing.

So, did you read my suggestions?

Old 07-07-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
self-taught, without formal college or graduate training.
These kind of people get hit by the catch-22.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
A lot of entry level jobs are hurting for help.
Only sales and Mcjobs are.

Career entry level jobs require experience and enforce the catch-22.

Quote:
Fast food by me is especially hurting, a few only do the drive thru because there is not enough staff to work registers and make the food.
Mcjobs.

Quote:
I agree with the suggestion that you consider an over night stocking job because you wouldn't be around a lot of people.
Mcjobs.

Quote:
You also mentioned applying for "social anxiety disability" which I take to mean that you want to apply for social security disability which you would not qualify for because you have not worked to pay into the social security system that you want to collect from
SSI does not require work credits. They'll get $700/month and that's it. Not enough to live on.

SSD requires 10 years of work credits. They may get more. Still not enough to live on.

Both of these, one cannot get a job.

Quote:
I will mention Walmart and Sam's club again which by me they're hurting for help.
Mcjobs.

Employers do not count Mcjob experience for career jobs. They are treated as having zero experience.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:19 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And based on the OP's predicament, he was not just fine up until now without therapy or meds. He's in his 30s and has never had a job or left home. Who knows where he could be if he'd had mental health treatment earlier.

I recently got a diagnosis of ADHD as an adult, and it's been a gamechanger. Many behaviors and issues that I had that I thought were normal are actually treatable and not just a matter of my not caring or having enough willpower.

The OP also said he didn't get a job because he was lazy. He's had one job, taco bell that he was not cut out for.

I have ADHD too. School was rough unless it was something I was interested in. I some how managed to go through 2 years of beauty culture, also had my hair license, passed the test on the first try.

I've never been on meds but at my age, 60 is inching up, I wouldn't be interested because I don't have any issues where it holds me back. I've been medically retired due to my back. Social security disability is very hard to live on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment