Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 12:20 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,665 times

Advertisements

Yes I would work hard at an 8 dollar an hour job. I was raised with a good work ethic. I believe if someone is paying you give them a good day's work. I even worked hard as an intern when I was paid nothing. However do not believe it will put you in a better position in the future. As a worker you are a cost to your company nothing more nothing less. There are fewer jobs in the middle these days and only a few at the top. Thus you may never go up the ladder hard work or not. Heck in many companies the ladder is long gone. I work hard and do a good job for me. I know the company could get rid of me at any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 01:48 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,725 times
I'd work just as hard at either, but all the while I'd be looking for something, ANYTHING else.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:56 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Wonderful post, and I agree...

Yes, I would work hard at any job I had, no matter what the pay. Starting at 15, I found myself totally focused on my job and intent on doing my best...there is also a good deal of satisfaction after that good day's work.

Now many yrs later, I often watch/listen to others doing THEIR jobs...
those that really care and try, well they stand out...always. I left a waitress a huge tip after observing her stellar demeanor and service. We hear that often, huge tips etc for great work. I have a mail delivery person whose smiling face should be on every mail truck! Our neighborhood pool guy leaves not a bug, leaf, no debris, no floating anything when he cleans the pool.

IT MATTERS.

I don't care WHAT you do
as long as you DO YOUR BEST and do so with integrity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Yes I would work hard at an 8 dollar an hour job. I was raised with a good work ethic. I believe if someone is paying you give them a good day's work. I even worked hard as an intern when I was paid nothing. However do not believe it will put you in a better position in the future. As a worker you are a cost to your company nothing more nothing less. There are fewer jobs in the middle these days and only a few at the top. Thus you may never go up the ladder hard work or not. Heck in many companies the ladder is long gone. I work hard and do a good job for me. I know the company could get rid of me at any time.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:13 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
those that really care and try, well they stand out...always. I left a waitress a huge tip after observing her stellar demeanor and service.

Comparing people that work for tips, not really fair. Their income actually fluctuates based on the job they are doing.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:48 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
My $8.00 a hr job is less then p/t & i always clock in early sometimes 10 or 15 mins early. I know ill never get paid for that time but its ok. I work in customer service & some people i would love to serve a punch in the mouth. LOTS of rude creeps in this world but their are alot of nice people as well.

Last edited by steel7; 06-22-2012 at 05:56 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 07:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
It all boils down to your definition of success. There are a lot of different types of success; financial and career-based are only two. You can win lotto, be financially successful, and be completely inept at anything related to career work.

You can be a brilliant and highly successful scientist, and not understand even the simplest financial concepts - such as balancing a checkbook.

There is also success in love - success in sports, success in fitness and health, etc. etc.

For people who base success exclusively on finances, their end game is simple: He who dies with the most toys, wins.

For people who base success on self-respect, respect from others, how much they have given of themselves to their community, their spirit of life and energy, their success will live on long after they're dead. For the ones who base it only on finances, their success dies with them.

Edited to clarify: which would you rather people say about you, after you're dead?
"Oh yeah, that AnonChick. Boy was she rich! I wonder who inherits her car?"
or
"AnonChick? One time I came into the store with one of my horrible headaches, and a week later when I came back for printer ink, she asked me how I'd been feeling. Hundreds of customers between visits, and she actually remembered that one moment from a week before. She was very thoughtful like that. I'll miss her."

I'd rather be remembered for what I did, than what I had.

Last edited by AnonChick; 06-22-2012 at 07:57 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 07:51 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It all boils down to your definition of success. .

Correct, and in 2 plus decades of professional employment, I have seen 1 constant: The best performers are benchmarking themselves vs their own expectations of what they can do, at a higher level by far than the normal standards of the position. Most often, per the employer, they could reduce their standards and be perfectly acceptable employees. But those performers would never accept such a performance.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 PM

547 posts, read 939,445 times
I graduated college in 2005. I had a retail job at a big box company starting in July 2007 and worked there for a year. Retail pays a low wage, and people come and go at those kinds of jobs all the time. Anyway, I had been there for a year, and the place hired another person to work in the same department as I. This guy was 20 (I was 25 at the time), had only a high school diploma, was only going to be there for a few months before he went back to school, and was new at the job. As for me, I was 5 years older, had a bachelors degree, had been there for a year, had several years work experience, and did a good job even though I was geting paid 9.47. I'd push carts in from outside, get on the register when there were a lot of people without anyone telling me to go up there, help out in another department, unload trucks in the back, etc. I'd even find projects to do when I was bored like moving all the items in several of the aisles and cleaning, sweeping, dusting where those items were, and then putting them back where they were. I'd also go up to top stock and number all the items that were there in the boxes so that way when inventory came around, the number of the items in each of the aisles in the department I worked in were there and people could check them off their list and move on to the next item.

Long story short, I talked to the new person that was hired and asked how much he made. He told me, and I found out he was making more than me. I put in my two weeks notice and left. Some of the managers asked why I was leaving since I always do a good job, and I told them.

Sorry, but if you're going to pay a newly hired person with less work experience, with a high school diploma more verses another person who has been there for a year and has a bachelors degree, then it's time to move on to something else because the company doesn't care about you.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:39 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
There's a saying, "Act your wage."

For $8 an hour, an employer should EXPECT someone who just skates by doing the bare minimum and slacks off at every opportunity he gets. If the employee gets fired, he'll just get another crap $8/hour job that he can slack off at.

Security guards make about that much and they are some of the laziest people. You get what you pay for.

Personally, I wouldn't care if I was being paid $8 an hour. That is a joke wage and I would treat the job for what it is, a joke.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:44 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,256 times
It's unethical to work hard for $8 when you should be legitimately getting paid more. Not saying that it's okay to be lazy or demand more money, but if there's a legitimate chance you should be making more money, all you're doing is depressing the wage market by agreeing to work for less than your worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment