Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 01:04 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,997 times

Advertisements

People do not understand the company does not care about you. They do not value workers in any way. A worker is a cost nothing more. I do a good for me I do not kid myself into thinking they care about me. It really does not matter if your are an engineer making 75k. You can be an 8 dollar an hour cashier . You are all the same in the eyes of business. You are a cost to be lower or gotten rid of that is it. Everyone can be replaced and most likely will be at some point. Do not think that hard work means some kind of pay off. Most often these days their will be no raise or bump up the ladder that is just the way it is. The company could less about me or my feelings on anything. I do a good job for me because I care that is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 01:06 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
People do not understand the company does not care about you. They do not value workers in any way. A worker is a cost nothing more. I do a good for me I do not kid myself into thinking they care about me. It really does not matter if your are an engineer making 75k. You can be an 8 dollar an hour cashier . You are all the same in the eyes of business. You are a cost to be lower or gotten rid of that is it. Everyone can be replaced and most likely will be at some point. Do not think that hard work means some kind of pay off. Most often these days their will be no raise or bump up the ladder that is just the way it is. The company could less about me or my feelings on anything. I do a good job for me because I care that is it.
Very true, sadly.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:50 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
I would work just as hard if it meant putting food on the table for my family.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
[quote=collegeguy35;24872395. Do not think that hard work means some kind of pay off. Most often these days their will be no raise or bump up the ladder that is just the way it is. The company could less about me or my feelings on anything..[/quote]

Odd, we provide annual raises to all but the worst performers who would comprise under 10% of professional workforce, and annual bonuses tied to operating profits to about 20-25% of professional staff (mostly, those above saff levels.). Now it isn't about caring for their feelings, but rather not wanting high performers to leave, recognizing their impact on operating profit variability.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:57 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
At most companies you're just a number so no it's not worth it to bust your butt for 8 bucks an hour. If it's a smaller company, the owners and upper management are in "touch", and notice your hard work...then I "might" say it's worth it to bust your butt.

For the majority of companies - unless you are already making a good wage or you have a very good shot at advancement - it's not worth it. The people at the top make tons and tons of money they could care less if you want to buy a new car you are nothing to them. You will probably bust your butt for a year and still only get a 3 percent raise which would bring you up to a whopping $8.24 an hour. Welcome to working in 2012 America.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:46 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
It depends..

If I'm learning a valuable skill (that'll make me employable at another job), I'll still work just as hard or even harder at $8/hr.

If that's not the case, then I'll seriously just do the absolute minimum and spend the rest of my time at work looking for other jobs..

Old 06-27-2012, 08:38 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,592,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Odd, we provide annual raises to all but the worst performers who would comprise under 10% of professional workforce, and annual bonuses tied to operating profits to about 20-25% of professional staff (mostly, those above saff levels.). Now it isn't about caring for their feelings, but rather not wanting high performers to leave, recognizing their impact on operating profit variability.
Annual raises are only used to a point. You don't want too much turnover because then the company creates more work for itself by constantly having to hire new people, especially for high level jobs. But most of the time raises are just a trivial sum, and there is a ceiling where the employee will just be gotten rid of after X amount of years for new blood at cheaper wages.

And high performers are integral to companies, but these days, with so much work being overly simple or mechanized, fewer and fewer fields truly NEED excellent employees. They just need serviceable ones.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:13 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Correct, and in 2 plus decades of professional employment, I have seen 1 constant: The best performers are benchmarking themselves vs their own expectations of what they can do, at a higher level by far than the normal standards of the position. Most often, per the employer, they could reduce their standards and be perfectly acceptable employees. But those performers would never accept such a performance.
Mostly I've seen employers who want mediocrity and are threatened by employees who want to do better than is expected.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:21 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,414 times
It depends on the situation. If I was working at Pizza Hut or slaving in some dirty, stuffy, dingy warehouse for $8-10 an hour, I would be bitter and perform my job only while extremely high on pot and be a complete slacker.

However, today, I am working for $10 an hour. BUT, I am putting my best foot forward in my work. Why? I am not doing unskilled manual labor. I am doing web design and marketing for a growing local company. I am working in the field I went to school to for. They told me that they would give me a proper wage after I had passed a probationary period and proved my worth through my expertise and skills. With many small businesses these days, you have to actually help the establishment make more money before you can be paid a real wage. You have to prove your worth to small businesses. I envy those who work for the federal government who don't have to worry about making money for anybody but themselves. It sucks that I can't be paid a "living wage" out of the gate. But I am another faceless recent college grad who finished school in the depths of the economic downturn in 2009. I had been unemployed for two years before I started working for this company doing graphic/web design and marketing. I am lucky I am even working a job in my field as many, many of my old college friends are unemployed or severely unemployed in low-wage, low-skilled dead end jobs. At least I am building a professional portfolio and references. All of this probably seems unfathomable to older workers who entered the job market in prosperous times. It also sucks that the company might not even have enough work for me in the very near future. But I really have few other choices right now. So I just continue to apply for better job opportunities and keep doing my best at a job that may or may not have the promise of an actual future in it. It is a good thing that I work for a very small company and have a daily rapport with the owner unlike mid-sized to large companies where you are more of a number.

You have to crawl before you walk. Especially these days. Making $10 an hour for skilled labor after being unemployed for two years and sending out thousands of resumes is pretty darn good if you ask me. You can't expect to have a 50K+ job out of college anymore like you did in 1997. It has been proven by numbers that people getting good jobs straight out of college these days are an extreme minority. I try not to buy into too much doom and gloom about the job market anymore because those same rainy day articles about recent college grads have been written in the early 2000's, early 90's, early 80's and early 70's recessions as well.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 06-28-2012 at 09:30 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 PM

777 posts, read 1,337,224 times
I work the same no matter how much the price is. Right now I work better than my co-workers for only minimum wage, and if I was getting double that, I'd still be working as hard as I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment