Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 10:03 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,687,436 times

Advertisements

no wonder people talk bad about people in America and their work ethic. I have no probs working for $8 heck i'll work for $7.25 I have no need for ipads, texting, movies, high def tvs, and all that crap. Get up go to work go home go to bed do it all again the next day. Been doing it for 25 years dont have a single problem with it. I dont want extra money i have no use for it. It disgusts me. I make what I need and thats good enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:17 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
no wonder people talk bad about people in America and their work ethic. I have no probs working for $8 heck i'll work for $7.25 I have no need for ipads, texting, movies, high def tvs, and all that crap. Get up go to work go home go to bed do it all again the next day. Been doing it for 25 years dont have a single problem with it. I dont want extra money i have no use for it. It disgusts me. I make what I need and thats good enough for me.
I'm not you. The point of getting a college degree(and I'm getting one in a few days) is to get a job that pays MUCH MORE than minimum wage. That is why I've been so upset this past week. If I'm in college, minimum wage is okay, because it's something extra while in college. Once I get the degree, a minimum wage job is a step BACK for me, not up.

You might be satisfied to make minimum wage, get up, work, go home, and then go to bed. I, on the other hand, don't want that kind of life. If I wanted it, I would have taken that kind of life a long time ago. The fact that I went to college and will be graduating soon should be an indicator of what I want in my life. You have your life and I have mine.

What is so bad about having aspirations and being driven? It's good to have a great work ethic. It's also good to get paid decently for it, something higher than minimum wage.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,622 times
A lot of these low paying scheit jobs are in bad locations, and/or offer schedules that basically lock you in and make it nearly impossible to conduct a successful job search while being employed there. They give you "the 30 minute lunch" so you really can't leave to an interview and be back on time.They give you irregular schedules so you basically live day to day and can't plan anything in advance of your shift or after it's over.

Have you seen some of the people who work at those low tier places? Many are felons, druggies, deadbeat fathers, school drop outs and other low demographic types. That's right. You might be ok but this demographic next to you will make your life unbearable. You'll be doing their job and covering for them. Prison without bars.

Seriously??? Fuggetaboutit.....as we say in NY.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:44 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,877,255 times
I make around 8 something right now. I do so much work in CVS for little pay.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
A lot of these low paying scheit jobs are in bad locations, and/or offer schedules that basically lock you in and make it nearly impossible to conduct a successful job search while being employed there. They give you "the 30 minute lunch" so you really can't leave to an interview and be back on time.They give you irregular schedules so you basically live day to day and can't plan anything in advance of your shift or after it's over.

Have you seen some of the people who work at those low tier places? Many are felons, druggies, deadbeat fathers, school drop outs and other low demographic types. That's right. You might be ok but this demographic next to you will make your life unbearable. You'll be doing their job and covering for them. Prison without bars.

Seriously??? Fuggetaboutit.....as we say in NY.
My theory is that those jobs are designed to be that way, to lock people in a cycle of minimum wage. Long hours, getting wiped out, paying very little so you can't really plan ahead the way you want to. I think the idea behind it is to keep those in minimum wage at minimum wage. Want to go on strike? There is someone else to take your place. Want to get an education? It will be very difficult. It's designed to make it difficult, if not impossible to move up, to do better for yourself. My theory is that once you move up, the powerful have to compete with you. The objective? Keep those at the bottom competing with one another.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
So we've established that there are people who will work hard and will not work hard. I wonder which ones will get ahead....

Old 07-28-2012, 02:05 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My theory is that those jobs are designed to be that way, to lock people in a cycle of minimum wage. Long hours, getting wiped out, paying very little so you can't really plan ahead the way you want to. I think the idea behind it is to keep those in minimum wage at minimum wage. Want to go on strike? There is someone else to take your place. Want to get an education? It will be very difficult. It's designed to make it difficult, if not impossible to move up, to do better for yourself. My theory is that once you move up, the powerful have to compete with you. The objective? Keep those at the bottom competing with one another.
. Exactly. They brainwash you into believing you will get raises and promotions "if you work hard enough." Yea sure, and I'm the Easter Bunny. That's how they get the best low wage slaves in the company to stay indefinitely "hoping for advancement." Same thing with all those welfare to work programs (Workforce1, Goodwill, America Works, etc.) How come none of them place you into liveable wage jobs? How come none of them offer real life training or education? They only look to place a person into home health aide and retail ($8) jobs. What happened to clerical admin jobs in the white collar world? What, they don't even have receptionist or file clerk jobs?

The (top) people who run those programs and the employees who are supposed to place you are vultures who profit from your misfortune. That's how they like to keep it. They only have $8 jobs.

So go ahead and take those jobs. You ain't never moving up from those.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:38 PM

i have a good work ethic but i dont feel the need to be highly paid for having it. I have been on the streets literally. Im not talking sleep at a friends house and get free food at a soup kitchen im talking no job, no money, sleep against a tree in the woods, eat leaves off a tree, and pick up cans from the street to take to the recycling plant to get $5 to get a shower at a truck stop. After doing that I am thanking God that I have a minimum wage job that gives me 4 walls and a roof to sleep under plus food and water to drink and bathe in. Count your blessings.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
So we've established that there are people who will work hard and will not work hard. I wonder which ones will get ahead....
It isnt always about getting ahead. One person told me i wasnt living i was just existing. Nothing wrong with existing. I enjoy the simple life. Offer me free money id take enough just to pay my bills and break even.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:46 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Interesting...

*What part of the country do you live in?
*Do you live with a spouse?
*If you do live with a spouse, what does the spouse make?
*Do you operate a business on the side?
*Do you receive any government assistance?

I find it very hard to believe you're living perfectly fine on ONLY $7.25/hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment