Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 03:32 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,776 times

Advertisements

I would love to say yes, but that's too impractical of an idea. We've invested thousands into college degrees, or at the very least, transportation. How do you expect we can live on such a low amount alone? The only situation I think this would work is in a chain store/restaurant.

Besides that, as already mentioned, some occupations just don't seem appropriate for barely $8 an hour. For example, could you imagine doing pediatrics or training overweight people for just $8 an hour? Nah, I didn't think so either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 07:39 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Conservative economic theory teaches us that it's our duty to not work as hard for lower wages as we do for higher ones.
That's as it should be - but not how it is.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:24 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
There's nothing horrible about giving a horrible employer all he's paying for. What lacks integrity, and worse common sense, is taking advantage of a bad job market. If you pay people wages that aren't making their lives easy why do you expect said employees to make YOUR life easy?

Why are you so suprised that when you offer bottom of the barrel wages you are going to get bottom of the barrel work? What kind of human being expects others to provide them with diamonds for pennies?

A greedy employer will get what he pays for. He's a overentitled moron if he expects anything else.
Being horrible is horrible no matter what context it's in. The assumption that you make is that an employer has the freedom to adjust the wages they pay. This is far from the truth. Employers are trying to run a business and with the current consumer confidence there's not much money coming in. For employees to expect employers to raise wages in this economic atmosphere is absurd.

When you join a business as an employee, you join as a member of the team. If you don't want to be a contributing member of that team, then you don't have to join that team. But what good is it to anyone to agree to do work for $8 and then not do it? That's the act of an individual without integrity.

However, this really doesn't matter. The market still works if an employee chooses to do substandard work. The employer would rightfully fire that employee. So this argument is pretty much moot.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
I do think people are bigots for example they will say all disabled people are lazy bums who need to get over themselves and find a job. But what the people making these generalizations don't realize is that it's tough finding work with a disability. You hear some people who disclose themselves at interviews and don't get the job, and start wondering what if they were unlawfully discriminated. But it doesn't stop there. This keeps happening. It's even tougher in this "new normal". Some disabled people really do want to work. I know I do. I've also talked to several others who are pretty depressed about the jumping through all the hoops to get hired. Some have degrees and some don't.

As for all the programs to help disabled people become self-sufficient, it doesn't seem like there is too much of an effort to encourage disabled people to utilize such programs, except for the ones (like myself) who are dead serious about making a change in our lives. Places like vocrehab aren't always the best either, varies from state to state, alot of people have horrible experiences with it, which I can understand.

The last thing people need is to be blamed for everything while someone else gets away like a bandit and you are just supposed to bend over and accept it. When people on this forum tell me to stop whining they are really saying stop sticking up for yourself.
A disabled individual is in a very unfortunate situation. We should provide an atmosphere where disabled people have the opportunity to be as productive and successful as an able person. We have tried this and completely failed (as you pointed out).

I don't think that anyone wants to limit disabled people... it's just that we don't have a solution that works.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:15 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A disabled individual is in a very unfortunate situation. We should provide an atmosphere where disabled people have the opportunity to be as productive and successful as an able person. We have tried this and completely failed (as you pointed out).

I don't think that anyone wants to limit disabled people... it's just that we don't have a solution that works.
It is easier for the general public just to have a unrealistic opinion that doesn't match up to reality. Everyone knows there are abusers of the system, but you can't say everybody is like that. I've always thought things like ticket to work, Vocrehab, PASS, and financial aid and grant awards for college were always kept hidden deliberately except for people who extensively research ways to better our situations. There really is no incentive for the majority. Which is sad. I think more of an effort could be made but the public needs to ask themselves if they are ready to do so.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Being horrible is horrible no matter what context it's in. The assumption that you make is that an employer has the freedom to adjust the wages they pay. This is far from the truth. Employers are trying to run a business and with the current consumer confidence there's not much money coming in. For employees to expect employers to raise wages in this economic atmosphere is absurd.

When you join a business as an employee, you join as a member of the team. If you don't want to be a contributing member of that team, then you don't have to join that team. But what good is it to anyone to agree to do work for $8 and then not do it? That's the act of an individual without integrity.

However, this really doesn't matter. The market still works if an employee chooses to do substandard work. The employer would rightfully fire that employee. So this argument is pretty much moot.
Employers who pay poor wages have no business complaining they get poor work. I have no idea why an employer (or you) would expect otherwise. If you lack the integrity to pay people a decent wage you have no right to whine that your employee treats you in kind.

The agreement is to give eight bucks for an hour of work. Eight bucks an hour isn't going to get you very much labor. Pay substandard wages and you will get substandard work. An employer who runs around screeching that he got what he paid for when he paid crappy wages is an employer with unrealistic expectations, a discontented workforce, a huge HR department and a very high employee turnover rate.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:32 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
I could work for $8 because I own my own car, I have cheap rent, I dont use credit cards, Im rarely sick, and i didnt go to college so I have no student loans to pay off. I could live quite comfortably for about $1000 a month.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
All I can really say is I am so glad that I am raising my children to not have an entitlement mentality as it seems many posters on here have. my kids are learning the value of hard work, and the realization that if they want something in life, they will have to make it happen for themselves.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:38 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
I do think people are bigots for example they will say all disabled people are lazy bums who need to get over themselves and find a job. But what the people making these generalizations don't realize is that it's tough finding work with a disability. You hear some people who disclose themselves at interviews and don't get the job, and start wondering what if they were unlawfully discriminated. But it doesn't stop there. This keeps happening. It's even tougher in this "new normal". Some disabled people really do want to work. I know I do. I've also talked to several others who are pretty depressed about the jumping through all the hoops to get hired. Some have degrees and some don't.

As for all the programs to help disabled people become self-sufficient, it doesn't seem like there is too much of an effort to encourage disabled people to utilize such programs, except for the ones (like myself) who are dead serious about making a change in our lives. Places like vocrehab aren't always the best either, varies from state to state, alot of people have horrible experiences with it, which I can understand.

The last thing people need is to be blamed for everything while someone else gets away like a bandit and you are just supposed to bend over and accept it. When people on this forum tell me to stop whining they are really saying stop sticking up for yourself.
Whoa Nellie, slow your roll. If I recall correctly, a number of years ago all the handicapped people were screaming "We're not handicapped, we're handicapable!" and demanding to be treated no differently than anyone else. Now, you want the pity back? Sorry, but they pushed for equality and such so thats what theyll get imo. Not trying to be mean but you did ask for it...heck you demanded it. Next time, be careful what you wish for......

Old 08-01-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Employers who pay poor wages have no business complaining they get poor work. I have no idea why an employer (or you) would expect otherwise. If you lack the integrity to pay people a decent wage you have no right to whine that your employee treats you in kind.

The agreement is to give eight bucks for an hour of work. Eight bucks an hour isn't going to get you very much labor. Pay substandard wages and you will get substandard work. An employer who runs around screeching that he got what he paid for when he paid crappy wages is an employer with unrealistic expectations, a discontented workforce, a huge HR department and a very high employee turnover rate.
Paying someone $XX amount of money when all parties agree is not lacking integrity. The employer would lack integrity if they chose to pay $n/hour and ended up paying ($n-1)/hour. The same applies to an employee. An employee lacks integrity if they agree to do work of ϑ quality and provide less than ϑ quality of work. It's that simple.

If the employee and employer agree on $8/hour for substandard work, then it is perfectly legit for for the employee to do substandard work. There's nothing wrong with this scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment