Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 02:39 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,332 times

Advertisements

it sucks that inexperienced people have to volunteer just to get hired for a minimum-wage entry-level service job, part-time job, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 PM

417 posts, read 825,261 times
To be honest, I think a lot of people in stable career jobs would automatically say they'd work just as hard for 8 dollars an hour and simply be lying to themselves. It's one thing to work to the bone for a stable pay-check you can live on, it's another to do it for minimum wage. People say a lot of things when they're looking in from an arm-chair perspective. if it ever came time to step up to the plate though, barring extreme consequences, a lot of people would just fall short. It's even more laughable if the person in question has never actually worked a job under career level trying to bark how they'd bust their hump for etc. Get out of here with your talk. Bull****ters always bull****

Old 08-08-2012, 07:41 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,449 times
I have worked for low wages, so I know that the lower the wage many times the more $hit you have to put up with and the harder you have to work. I have a bad habit of always working to a high level - but, the older I get, I might just throw in the towel if I get to $8 and say, "You get what you pay for." If someone thinks a job is worth $8 then they likely don't expect as much of someone as I do myself.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:49 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,332 times
i just want to have a life again, thats why my username is what it says, being unemployed makes me feel like i have no life

Old 08-12-2012, 07:51 AM

858 posts, read 1,808,461 times
Where I live, making $8/hr is not enough to live, so no, I wouldn't work for that. It'll cost me more than the pay I'll receive.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:18 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,975 times
I've worked retail and restaurant jobs in the past for minimum wage or just above minimum wage, and always did a good job to earn the money. I was younger and viewed those jobs as relatively short-term. If, hypothetically, I was forced to have to take a similar job these days I suppose I would do an acceptable job while working on my escape plan.

Would I do my current job for $8 an hour? No. I would do the bare minimum to keep from getting fired while I looked for another job while on the clock. I might even take UC as it would work out to more than $8 an hour. Employers need to know they get what they pay for and treat employees accordingly.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:56 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Why wouldn't you work hard? There's always opportunity to move up. If you are stuck in a dead end job, then I would totally understand.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:10 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why wouldn't you work hard? There's always opportunity to move up.
Yep, that is true even at McDonald's. You can always become a McManager if you have a good work ethic and outshine the other McWorkers, which isn't hard considering that most McWorkers are stupid and lazy.

I remember reading an article once that said 60% of Office Depot managers don't have a college degree. They started out on the floor selling Office Depot crap and moved up over time. "Big box store" managers typically make $80k a year or so. They work long hours, but they are compensated well.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:57 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
I've worked retail and restaurant jobs in the past for minimum wage or just above minimum wage, and always did a good job to earn the money. I was younger and viewed those jobs as relatively short-term. If, hypothetically, I was forced to have to take a similar job these days I suppose I would do an acceptable job while working on my escape plan.

Would I do my current job for $8 an hour? No. I would do the bare minimum to keep from getting fired while I looked for another job while on the clock. I might even take UC as it would work out to more than $8 an hour. Employers need to know they get what they pay for and treat employees accordingly.
If I caught you looking for another job while on the clock, I'd fire you then and there and fight the unemployment.

Want to find another job? Fine, I wish you well. But you aren't going to do it on my time.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:46 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
fight the unemployment.
Good luck.

My dad just got finished firing someone for being habitually late (like over an hour) and he had time cards to prove it. The unemployment office actually ruled in the employee's favor because he hadn't given her three written warnings telling her exactly what she was doing wrong and exactly what the consequences would be if she didn't stop.

Obviously surfing for another job on company time is wrong and is a justifiable reason to fire someone on the spot, but I doubt you would win an unemployment claim unless you formally "wrote her up" a few times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment