Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
America doesn't have a free market, it has a mixed economy.
Fair enough. The free part of our mixed economy works... at least in areas which don't conflict with the regulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 AM

810 posts, read 1,808,511 times
Alright, let me reiterate my original response to the actual question:

Yes, I would work as hard if I was only paid minimum wage. I find value in hard work, and I know what I am getting into going in. However, that doesn't mean that I won't be constantly looking for higher-paying work that can actually use my educational background.

That said, employers need to realize that generally you get what you pay for. Does that mean that it should be accepted that there will be a lower caliber of workers due to the pay? No, but it should be expected and should come as no surprise if some employees just don't work hard on that job.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 AM

379 posts, read 1,401,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I usually don't take commands... especially in your rude manner, but I'll make an exception since it appears you don't know any better.

lifeexplorer suggested that you don't have to work for $8/hour. You have the freedom to start your own small business.... it's a free market.

Your argument is that the free market doesn't work because large corporations gobble up small businesses. Instagram just got gobbled up by Facebook. Captcha got gobbled up by Google. These startup owners now have millions of dollars.... This whole gobbling thing works out a lot better than $8/hour or even $80/hour.

Wasn't too hard to elaborate was it?

While some of these companies get eaten up by larger ones, mostly because of the IP, what happens to those employees that are no longer needed from the acquisition? They're now "free" to find a new job in the free market? In the meantime, the lords up top are enjoying their millions while the serfs try to find their next meal.

I'll agree with you about the free market working. It works for those at the top of the pyramid, not so much for those on the bottom. The last thing we need in this country are a few rich people while the majority become poorer.

Back to the topic of the thread. No one is truly free when they're working as a wage slave making an unlivable wage.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Alright, let me reiterate my original response to the actual question:

Yes, I would work as hard if I was only paid minimum wage. I find value in hard work, and I know what I am getting into going in. However, that doesn't mean that I won't be constantly looking for higher-paying work that can actually use my educational background.

That said, employers need to realize that generally you get what you pay for. Does that mean that it should be accepted that there will be a lower caliber of workers due to the pay? No, but it should be expected and should come as no surprise if some employees just don't work hard on that job.

I'm with you, I find value in hard work as well. However, I think that the harder anyone is forced to work, the more they should be compensated.

There's a difference between working hard and being exploited. Breaking your back for $8 per hour is exploitation. Breaking your back for $18 per hour, not so much.

When I was younger, I worked at a supermarket when my state's minimum wage was $6.75. This was my first real job and I really wanted to feel like I was earning my money, little did I know at the time that I was being exploited. I worked harder than anyone else in my position. I moved fast to do things quickly and I made sure my duties were performed to the best of my ability, I actually cared about the job. But every single day, the store manager would call me in and say that I "was not doing the job correctly and you should work even harder than you all ready are". So I'd move even faster than before and got more done while everyone else slacked off. I got to the point where my walking speed was the running speed of the fattest employee in the same position I was in. Anyway, there came a time when I'd be asked to do things outside my original job description, some of it was quite dangerous. I made mention about this and was threatened with termination so I did what any good employee would do, complied. After all the hard work, I was passed up for promotions and pay raises. I finally called the union and was told nothing could be done. After a few months of abuse and hard physical labor for $6.75, I left the store.

Despite it all, I'm glad that I experienced this. Why? Because it opened my eyes to how people are easily exploited for such little pay. No one should have to suffer the abuse of their employer without proper compensation.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
I'm with you, I find value in hard work as well. However, I think that the harder anyone is forced to work, the more they should be compensated.

There's a difference between working hard and being exploited. Breaking your back for $8 per hour is exploitation. Breaking your back for $18 per hour, not so much.

When I was younger, I worked at a supermarket when my state's minimum wage was $6.75. This was my first real job and I really wanted to feel like I was earning my money, little did I know at the time that I was being exploited. I worked harder than anyone else in my position. I moved fast to do things quickly and I made sure my duties were performed to the best of my ability, I actually cared about the job. But every single day, the store manager would call me in and say that I "was not doing the job correctly and you should work even harder than you all ready are". So I'd move even faster than before and got more done while everyone else slacked off. I got to the point where my walking speed was the running speed of the fattest employee in the same position I was in. Anyway, there came a time when I'd be asked to do things outside my original job description, some of it was quite dangerous. I made mention about this and was threatened with termination so I did what any good employee would do, complied. After all the hard work, I was passed up for promotions and pay raises. I finally called the union and was told nothing could be done. After a few months of abuse and hard physical labor for $6.75, I left the store.

Despite it all, I'm glad that I experienced this. Why? Because it opened my eyes to how people are easily exploited for such little pay. No one should have to suffer the abuse of their employer without proper compensation.
I can't agree with this "being exploited" mentality. You had every right to say no but you chose not to. If you willingly agree to do something, it's not being exploited. It's like after you agree to be whipped and be treated like a slave, it's called SM fetish not torture or slavery.

So, you think $18/hour is decent wage? In order to afford that, the business owner needs to jack up the bread to be $10/loaf instead of $3. If they don't, they would be selling under the cost. How would you like that?

Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Mind I ask you what your job was? What did you think your job really was?

Old 08-14-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I can't agree with this "being exploited" mentality. You had every right to say no but you chose not to. If you willingly agree to do something, it's not being exploited. It's like after you agree to be whipped and be treated like a slave, it's called SM fetish not torture or slavery.

So, you think $18/hour is decent wage? In order to afford that, the business owner needs to jack up the bread to be $10/loaf instead of $3. If they don't, they would be selling under the cost. How would you like that?

Dangling a carrot in front of a donkey while you take a ride on its back and giving the donkey only 1/3 of that carrot is exploiting the donkey. Dangling a job in front a human being and paying them $8 per hour and threatening them with termination if they don't like how they're treated while the executives makes seven or eight figure salaries is exploiting the human being.

Actually, executives can lower their own salaries and give that money to those who bring it in, the laborers. Anything else you bring in is overly simplistic number brought out by neo-con right winners who spout the very talking points that you have bought into.

Quote:
Mind I ask you what your job was? What did you think your job really was?

I mind because I don't need to explain myself to you. That and you're going to keep yapping away at how I could have just left, which I eventually did. But to satiate your curiosity, I'll tell you anyway.

I was hired as a bagger at the supermarket. My original job description was to bag groceries, bring in carts, return loose items to shelves, occasionally take out some of the trash, and wipe down the counters and the freezer windows at best. I was ordered to do janitorial work, even though there was a janitor on staff; operate machinery that required certification and a higher position than a bagger; move around products in the warehouse, even though there were people hired to do that job specifically; rescue lost kittens from trees; and handle raw food, even though I wasn't supposed to. That's what I can think off the top of my head.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Dangling a carrot in front of a donkey while you take a ride on its back and giving the donkey only 1/3 of that carrot is exploiting the donkey. Dangling a job in front a human being and paying them $8 per hour and threatening them with termination if they don't like how they're treated while the executives makes seven or eight figure salaries is exploiting the human being.

Actually, executives can lower their own salaries and give that money to those who bring it in, the laborers. Anything else you bring in is overly simplistic number brought out by neo-con right winners who spout the very talking points that you have bought into.
Isn't that called rapist mentality? Oh, that woman walking around and dressed in sexy cloth. So raping her is her fault.

If you can do what the executives do, you would be making 8 figures too. To be frank, a cashier wouldn't last a day as a top executive without screwing up something big.

Quote:
I mind because I don't need to explain myself to you. That and you're going to keep yapping away at how I could have just left, which I eventually did. But to satiate your curiosity, I'll tell you anyway.

I was hired as a bagger at the supermarket. My original job description was to bag groceries, bring in carts, return loose items to shelves, occasionally take out some of the trash, and wipe down the counters and the freezer windows at best. I was ordered to do janitorial work, even though there was a janitor on staff; operate machinery that required certification and a higher position than a bagger; move around products in the warehouse, even though there were people hired to do that job specifically; rescue lost kittens from trees; and handle raw food, even though I wasn't supposed to. That's what I can think off the top of my head.
Sorry, if that's the job you thought you should do, then you weren't doing the right job. Just a hint, as employees, we all have the same job.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Isn't that called rapist mentality? Oh, that woman walking around and dressed in sexy cloth. So raping her is her fault.

Are you really comparing the subject of this thread with rape?

I might just sit back and relax while the women on here tear you to shreds after that gaff.

Quote:
If you can do what the executives do, you would be making 8 figures too. To be frank, a cashier wouldn't last a day as a top executive without screwing up something big.

Do what every exec does? Like every exec became an exec through hard work and determination? Right.... Many of these bozos aren't in it for the company but for themselves and actually end up running their companies into the ground after paying themselves huge salaries and bonuses.

This is nothing more than right-wing rhetoric that spews that because a person isn't making an 8 figure salary, it's their fault. Personal responsibility right? Pluu-eze.

Quote:
Sorry, if that's the job you thought you should do, then you weren't doing the right job. Just a hint, as employees, we all have the same job.

We all have the same job? What's that exactly, to be exploited by our bosses for pennies?

Look jack, that example from my own experience was laid out in my job description. I attempted to protest when I began to do things that were outside what I was hired and being paid for. I eventually found something else and left that god forsaken place. Why do I bother with people like you?

Old 08-14-2012, 05:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
To be honest, I think a lot of people in stable career jobs would automatically say they'd work just as hard for 8 dollars an hour and simply be lying to themselves. It's one thing to work to the bone for a stable pay-check you can live on, it's another to do it for minimum wage. People say a lot of things when they're looking in from an arm-chair perspective. if it ever came time to step up to the plate though, barring extreme consequences, a lot of people would just fall short. It's even more laughable if the person in question has never actually worked a job under career level trying to bark how they'd bust their hump for etc. Get out of here with your talk. Bull****ters always bull****
First of all, minimum wage is $8.65 here in Connecticut. So the question is ridiculous, because it doesn't apply to people who live in states where minimum wage is over $8.00.

Second, I work for just over $8.65/hour (which is minimum wage here, as I said). I work harder at my job now, than I did when I worked in a cubby in a corporate office. I'm also much less stressed, working harder, for less money, than I was, when I worked less, for more money.

Just because you think you're too superior for retail work, doesn't mean you -are- too superior. It just means you're a wage snob. Good luck with that snobbishness if you lose your job, have bills to pay, your unemployment runs out, and the best job available to you, that anyone is actually willing to hire you for, is a minimum wage job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment