Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 02:14 PM

673 posts, read 2,717,455 times

Advertisements

A salary is a number. A number is neither good or bad. People place value judgements on numbers. For example, a salary might be bad for one person and good for another. As another example, a salary may be offered for a number of reasons, none of which have anything to do with the intent to cheat applicants.

A job is an offer. People have the freedom to accept or reject it. To accept a job with the given terms and then not perform the job well - that is cheating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 11:23 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
A salary is a number. A number is neither good or bad. People place value judgements on numbers. For example, a salary might be bad for one person and good for another. As another example, a salary may be offered for a number of reasons, none of which have anything to do with the intent to cheat applicants.

A job is an offer. People have the freedom to accept or reject it. To accept a job with the given terms and then not perform the job well - that is cheating.
And cheating is unethical. /Thread.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:33 PM

21 posts, read 23,370 times
In short, yes I would work hard for $8/per hour. I have personally seen people take low-wage jobs and it led to other job opportunities (mainly due to job experience or references). Not to mention, I am a hard-worker by nature (I’m a Virgo). I put my whole heart into my job because it is reflective of my character. I would rather have an $8/per hour job than no job at all.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:33 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Raise your hand if you remember making it just fine (and i dont mean private jets and going on cruises) back when jobs paid $3.35

(Raises hand)
Well I don't. I was born in 1986. I don't know ANYONE who made it off of 3.35 per hour other than waiters(and they have tips to back them up).

Old 08-28-2012, 08:37 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffirejuiliet View Post
Not to mention, I am a hard-worker by nature (I’m a Virgo).
Oh boy, it's astrology time...

Old 08-31-2012, 09:37 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Everyone has to start somewhere ... The guy that is the Director of the George Washington Bridge started as a toll collector making peanuts, now he's making over a 100k.

You never know ! Take every role seriously, and be professional - it could offer many leads !!
Well said.

And my guess is that many people who will just slack off / do the minimum because they feel they are not paid enough are the same ones who will still feel that way, and still be making those same lower wages, 5 years from now.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:26 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
8 dollars an hour does not buy loyalty

Old 08-31-2012, 04:09 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
as you would for $10 - $12 or $15?

In other words, when it comes to the amount of effort you put out on your job, would you say that your employer...."gets what they pay for", or would you give 100 percent effort regardless of whether you were making $12,000 a year or $30,000 per year?

Just wondering, y'all

20yrsinBranson
Yes. Because I like to take pride in being efficient no matter what the job is.

My very favorite job of all time was one of the lowest-paying (Shipping Operator), where I was the first female hired, and I did a better job than the men (who tended to overlook details). I absolutely loved that job and took pride in it. I was promoted to a different job less than a year later and didn't enjoy that one nearly as much.

Where minimum pay is concerned, some jobs have to remain minimum wage for the consumer (unless you want to start paying $20 for a hamburger).

Old 09-01-2012, 12:59 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,701,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I guess I'm the odd man out on this. I always do my best, regardless of the pay or job title. At the end of the day, I want to walk out, feeling that no one could have done as good a job as I did. It doesnt matter that the boss doesnt realize that; as long as I realize it, that's all that matters.
Nah. You're not alone on this. I would do the best I can at a job and even work overtime at $8 an hour. But at the same time, this is if I was single. I would first pick an area that is normally moderate to cold. No snow or extreme summers. I would then live out of my car. Go to the gym for showers, any 24 hour store for a bathroom, and the library for entertainment, laundry can be done at a laundry mat for next to nothing. PO box for mail.

As far as getting anywhere in life, who knows. That's heavily bias anyway.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:33 AM

14 posts, read 20,608 times
I agree for the job you sign up for you need to be 100% regardless if the pay is $8 or $30 an hour regardless of what your experience or your previous wages. If you work hard and intelligently the good supervisors will notice you. Yes $8 is not a lot however showing regardless you were employed in lieu of "Looking for a job" for 6+ months would you hire that person? Especially if you did not go to school, volunteer or anything substantial. Would you hire that person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment