Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 11:48 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They probably stand to profit in some way -- they might be employees at a college who count on having lots of new students every year even when they know those students must take out big loans they'll have trouble paying.

If two people, one a 26 year old college graduate with an $80,000 loan to pay off, and an 18 year old that is debt free apply for the same minimum skills kind of job, the qualifications for that job are the same for both.

The college graduate might think $8 an hour is hardly worth his time and have a poor attitude toward the job, while the other guy is happy to be getting $8 an hour and will work hard and advance because he's enthused about the job.

My 17 year old has two part time jobs and eagerly worked more than 40 hours a week this summer, thrilled whenever he's offered opportunities to work extra and is sad that he's got to go back to school but he'll continue to work whenever they give him hours to work, he intends to hang onto both jobs. He loves them both and both will provide him future opportunities.
Consider this trainee job in Houston, Texas.

Having been in the industry for over 35 years I know it well and I know exactly what this job requires.

You need a high school diploma and some computer skills.

You need to be able to rely on. Every day on time and willing to work hard. Make no mistake about it, you will find yourself in some of the worst working conditions you can ever imagine doing hard labor.

Imagine being here where you got to climb down into that hole, service all those valves (takes muscle to operate an 8" OS&Y valve that hasn't been opened or closed in years) and come out looking and smelling like a dirt monkey.

Don't get me wrong, the work environment isn't all that bad but it does have its moments. Some days will be entirely easy but there will be conditions that you would just have to work your way through.

You need to be willing to work hard for little more than minimum wage and in Houston I am guess this trainee job would go for $9 to $11 but I know Tyco has excellent world class benefits if that is any consolation.

Your job would consist of loading and unloading tools some (Rigid 300 power machine) of which are heavy and most of which are dirty. On a pump test you'll roll out and roll in 2 1/2" fire hoses and these are not light weight either.

Whoever gets this entry level job will want to quit a number of times. Must be an easier way to make a living.

But...

Quote:
Professional appearance and attitude are a must. NICET Level II certification must be obtained within 2 years of employment.
The plus side is the company will pay for training and licensing (license fees alone exceed $1,000) but the big pay off in my mind is that Level II certification after 2 years. The minute Level II was obtained I would fully expect wages to instantly double. You might not get rich but with that you would never be unemployed again.

With Level II how long would it take to secure an interview? Two hours on the phone, tops. Probably get one within one hour. Most likely you would get a job offer or two within a few days or a week at most with pay running $20 to $30/hr depending on where in the country you were located. Becasue of the nature of the work 90% of the companies off benefits and nearly all worth working for provide a company vehicle. Certainly not rich but I would think it would beat working at a mall Kiosk selling prepaid cell phones.

Stay in it for a few years and you would be qualified for jobs like this one on Craigslist

Quote:
Sprinkler Technician NICET III (Washington D.C. and Baltimore)
Date: 2012-08-13, 6:54PM EDT
Reply to: qvc7d-3203652270@job.craigslist.org
NICET III, lead Sprinkler Technician needed for immediate opening in Washington D.C. - Baltimore areas. Needed to perform mostly test ad inspections with some service and a little install. Install would probably be M.A.C. work (Moves-Adds-and-Changes). Extensive experience and Familiarity with pump tests, dry trip, partial trip all phases of annual. semi-annual, quarterly sprinkler inspections on wet, dry, pre-action systems with some clean-agent work. Work to be performed in Government and non-government commercial buildings. Clean driving record and back-ground check for entry into government facilities. Pay is negotiable. Company vehicle, benefits, 401k, etc.

Compensation: $55,000.00 to $85,000.00
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Pay for a Level III will be negotiated at $70,000 given the area but at least you get a company vehicle, benefits, 401k, etc. Is $35/hr with benefits really all that bad?

It's a real job and it is going to be difficult to fill. Want to know why?

From the registry dated February 23, 2012 in Washington, DC the number of Level III's is zero. Nada, not a one. In Maryland there are 41 level III's and in Virginia there's 48. That's a combined total of 89 people who fit the minimum qualifications over two states and DC, I also know there's a 100% employment rate for anyone who is qualified and wants to work so there's not going to be a lot of viable competitors. They will be lucky to get 3 qualified applicants.

Nationwide there were 2,249 Level II and 840 Level III inspectors on the registry as of February 23, 2012.

California has 21 Level II's and 8 Level III's. Sacramento job If you had a Level II or III and cold called the employers office I guarantee someone would talk to you. If you were Level III they'd pounce... how often do you think they get called by someone with a Level III?

FYI Level III is required to inspect/certify systems on federal property. Level II is the minimum level most states will accept.

Google nicet fire sprinkler inspector jobs taking care to note the number of jobs available in light of the number of qualified people.

There is also a surprising number of "trainee" jobs that are hard to fill with the right people. Everyone would like it, like a job, like the training but how many could actually do the work? How many would, pardon my French, put up with all the crap they would have to put up with to get through the two year training cycle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 12:25 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Step 1: Give your new job all you've got at least for several months (say 6-12). Pay attention to what makes the business successful and try to do that!

Step 2: Make a real effort to get your boss and the higher ups their attention to your efforts and diligently follow their feedback.

Step 3: If you get get decent raises, then keep up with what you're doing.

Step 4: If you're getting little/no raises, then scale back your efforts, do the minimum to keep the job, and aggressively look for another job.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:36 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,561 times
I wouldn't do a $18/hour job or even a $12/hour job for $8/hour pay. I can get a better deal elsewhere! Would anyone here show up to work as a nurse for $8/hour?

Old 08-19-2012, 01:00 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They probably stand to profit in some way -- they might be employees at a college who count on having lots of new students every year even when they know those students must take out big loans they'll have trouble paying.

If two people, one a 26 year old college graduate with an $80,000 loan to pay off, and an 18 year old that is debt free apply for the same minimum skills kind of job, the qualifications for that job are the same for both.

The college graduate might think $8 an hour is hardly worth his time and have a poor attitude toward the job, while the other guy is happy to be getting $8 an hour and will work hard and advance because he's enthused about the job.

My 17 year old has two part time jobs and eagerly worked more than 40 hours a week this summer, thrilled whenever he's offered opportunities to work extra and is sad that he's got to go back to school but he'll continue to work whenever they give him hours to work, he intends to hang onto both jobs. He loves them both and both will provide him future opportunities.
yes because i absolutely have no problem at all at working a minimum-wage job, and i don't want to go back to college, school, i just want a job

Old 08-24-2012, 02:39 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
i would seriously, absolutely have no issue, no problem at all working a work that pays 8 bucks an hour

Old 08-24-2012, 03:06 PM

306 posts, read 431,474 times
Being that I am still in school and haven't gotten my BS yet, these have been the only jobs I've been working. And I've taken them more seriously than any of my coworkers. My previous managers knew this. It doesn't matter what it is, a job is a job. You should do it to the best of your ability regardless. There are only a few exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
I wouldn't do a $18/hour job or even a $12/hour job for $8/hour pay. I can get a better deal elsewhere! Would anyone here show up to work as a nurse for $8/hour?
This is one of those exceptions for me

I will not do double the workload for half the pay. Especially if it's clear that I am the only one doing that much work. That may be a reflection on how bad I really needed a job, but it's true. I will gladly leave that for somebody who I really at the bottom of their rope.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,345 times
Yes, I would work hard even for that wage. Even if I wanted to slack off, my conscience wouldn't allow me.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:31 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,983 times
Everyone has to start somewhere ... The guy that is the Director of the George Washington Bridge started as a toll collector making peanuts, now he's making over a 100k.

You never know ! Take every role seriously, and be professional - it could offer many leads !!

Old 08-25-2012, 01:00 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Everyone has to start somewhere ... The guy that is the Director of the George Washington Bridge started as a toll collector making peanuts, now he's making over a 100k.

You never know ! Take every role seriously, and be professional - it could offer many leads !!
That's true that you never know, but don't forget the ubiquitous cases of what essentially is an employee running on a treadmill chasing a carrot on a stick. In today's contemporary age, I am not sure that a story like that would be as widespread as it was back then.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:08 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
There is also a surprising number of "trainee" jobs that are hard to fill with the right people. Everyone would like it, like a job, like the training but how many could actually do the work? How many would, pardon my French, put up with all the crap they would have to put up with to get through the two year training cycle?
I still see training positions up here for machinists. Pay is usually around $13/hr or so. Not glamorous, and I started at $14/hr nearly half a decade ago... But for all the complaining about no jobs to be found, it begs the question... Why are these going unfilled?

The kicker is, no college degree required. Just the willingness to show up on time and learn. Sounds like a job like any other, although it might not be the job everyone has been dreaming about. That's basically what a job has always been though, take it or leave it. If you don't like having a mean, nasty old foreman screaming at you, you can always march with the occupy crowd, but I don't think they'll cover you COL unless you enjoy living in a tent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment