Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 06:19 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Just because you think you're too superior for retail work, doesn't mean you -are- too superior. It just means you're a wage snob. Good luck with that snobbishness if you lose your job, have bills to pay, your unemployment runs out, and the best job available to you, that anyone is actually willing to hire you for, is a minimum wage job.
Heaven forbid the employee also wants to make as much as possible while as little as possible in a supposed free market economy...

It's fine if the employer has that mentality of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 06:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
Wasn't too hard to elaborate was it?

While some of these companies get eaten up by larger ones, mostly because of the IP, what happens to those employees that are no longer needed from the acquisition? They're now "free" to find a new job in the free market? In the meantime, the lords up top are enjoying their millions while the serfs try to find their next meal.

I'll agree with you about the free market working. It works for those at the top of the pyramid, not so much for those on the bottom. The last thing we need in this country are a few rich people while the majority become poorer.

Back to the topic of the thread. No one is truly free when they're working as a wage slave making an unlivable wage.
Well let's look at the two samples I mentioned. In regards to Instagram, the remaining 13 employees were left with sharing a measily $100 million among themselves. In regards to Captcha, Google has re-aligned the employees into the Captcha online library initiative. Since then, however, the former owner of Captcha has rehired many of the employees for Duolingo. Sure, they're all free to find other jobs... but why would they?

The market works for anyone who wants to be on top. Luis von Ahn saw a problem with human validation and he made an opportunity of it. Nothing is stopping the next person from doing the same thing but themselves.

I agree with you that no one is truly free when they're working as a wage slave making an unlivable wage. They've imprisoned themselves for whatever reason. But that is their choice and they should deliver whatever they agreed upon for the $8/hr.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:05 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
Look jack, that example from my own experience was laid out in my job description. I attempted to protest when I began to do things that were outside what I was hired and being paid for. I eventually found something else and left that god forsaken place. Why do I bother with people like you?
Our real job is to make our boss more successful. By the way, once I understood my real job, my salary jumped from 51K, 65K, 85K then over 100K within a few short years.

I hope it helps you too. I am more than happy to explain if you need.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:36 PM

547 posts, read 939,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't have any employees making $8 an hour except my apprentices. But then again I pay people what they are worth, and don't keep $8/hour people around because I need workers who are better than that.
Retail workers get that kind of wage even after they've been with the same place for a few years and continue to work hard.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:48 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Too many people equate 'working hard' with tough physical labor.
"Working hard" can also apply to someone like a file clerk working in a nice air-conditioned office who lifts nothing heavier than a 12 ounce file folder.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Too many people equate 'working hard' with tough physical labor.
"Working hard" can also apply to someone like a file clerk working in a nice air-conditioned office who lifts nothing heavier than a 12 ounce file folder.
That'll never equate to "working hard" to the physical labor people. To them, you can only work with your body, not with your mind.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:04 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,622 times
This is a pointless debate. The majority of single adult people living alone, with nothing and nobody to rely on wouldn't waste their time on an $8/hour job. Working 7 days and 13 hours per day with OT would still not pay enough to survive. And you would be so locked in physically that you wouldn't be able to look for another job or go to interviews on the side. That's basically sweatshop conditions.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
This is a pointless debate. The majority of single adult people living alone, with nothing and nobody to rely on wouldn't waste their time on an $8/hour job. Working 7 days and 13 hours per day with OT would still not pay enough to survive. And you would be so locked in physically that you wouldn't be able to look for another job or go to interviews on the side. That's basically sweatshop conditions.

That's OK. You can enjoy unemployment then. :-)

Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That'll never equate to "working hard" to the physical labor people. To them, you can only work with your body, not with your mind.
High presumptuous. Sitting at home and watching TV while collecting welfare is hard work too.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:13 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
You go AWOL to interview for a position at your "career" job if they won't give you any time off.. you're not chained to your $8/hr job anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment