Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 07:28 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,842 times

Advertisements

Wow. This thread is still going. And I still feel the same way as when I first responded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My saying is, "Have an ounce of integrity."

I know I would work just as hard for less money because I already did it.
As a teen and young adult, working Subway or movie theater or whatever, I busted my butt ($4.25) and was consistently employee of the month or given more responsibility, etc. I was taught every job (whether it was schoolwork - oh, hey! I did that for FREE! - or a job, or girl scouts, or whatever) was worth doing well.

It made me sick to see other people slack around and get paid the same.

That's why when I was given a choice as an adult for straight salary vs productivity-based salary, I took the productivity-based one.

People are so dumb. They think by slacking they are 'sticking it to the man.' You're sticking it to yourself with that lame, entitled attitude. I don't know anyone who slacked their way to the top.
Had everybody had this attitude, we would be in a whole lot better society.

This entitlement mentality is really toxic.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:59 AM

379 posts, read 1,401,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
At least people could do the courtesy of reading the full post in its context instead of taking the bait and referring only to one line tacked on at the end, i.e., if my current job had its wage severely cut to $8 an hour, in contrast to me accepting one that had an $8 market wage.

I suppose I could add other caveats to more realistically answer the question, but for some of the propagandists on this thread it's not worth it. A lot of people here seem to be looking for the slightest opportunity to be presumptuous about someone and then proceed to get on their high horse.

That's exactly it with many of the responses that I've read in this thread. There are too many who sit on such a high horse, both people who are low and high on the pay scale, that it only turns us worker bees against each other. This is exactly what the corporate masters want, a divided workforce, those of us who have woken up and see the light against those who continue to live in their lala land bubble. Both of which only make for an unquestioning and highly obedient worker. There's a word for that, slavery.

What will it take to get people off the high horse and realize that $8 per hour is an exploitive wage that is far from livable in many jobs? This attitude of "a job's a job, a wage is a wage" and the black and white thinking that goes with it needs to go. It is only an open invitation to allow oneself to be exploited.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
That's exactly it with many of the responses that I've read in this thread. There are too many who sit on such a high horse, both people who are low and high on the pay scale, that it only turns us worker bees against each other. This is exactly what the corporate masters want, a divided workforce, those of us who have woken up and see the light against those who continue to live in their lala land bubble. Both of which only make for an unquestioning and highly obedient worker. There's a word for that, slavery.

What will it take to get people off the high horse and realize that $8 per hour is an exploitive wage that is far from livable in many jobs? This attitude of "a job's a job, a wage is a wage" and the black and white thinking that goes with it needs to go. It is only an open invitation to allow oneself to be exploited.
I completely disagree with this. This is not 1712; this is 2012 where we don't have slavery. It's a free market. You don't have to work for $8/hour if you don't want to. Nobody puts a gun on your head to force you to accept it.

Let me get this straight:

1. You need the money
2. You agree to take the $8/hour to do the job
3. You call this exploitative?

You have to be kidding me. If you don't like the salary, walk away or open your own company. Frankly speaking, there are literally billions of people wanting that $8/hour. You don't want it, the company will just easily ship that job overseas where people are willing to work for $8/day. You need the money more than the company need you.

Please get out of this entitlement mentality. America was not built on "I deserve XYZ." America was built on "I earned XYZ with my effort."

Old 08-13-2012, 02:53 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I completely disagree with this. This is not 1712; this is 2012 where we don't have slavery. It's a free market. You don't have to work for $8/hour if you don't want to. Nobody puts a gun on your head to force you to accept it.

Let me get this straight:

1. You need the money
2. You agree to take the $8/hour to do the job
3. You call this exploitative?

You have to be kidding me. If you don't like the salary, walk away or open your own company. Frankly speaking, there are literally billions of people wanting that $8/hour. You don't want it, the company will just easily ship that job overseas where people are willing to work for $8/day. You need the money more than the company need you.

Please get out of this entitlement mentality. America was not built on "I deserve XYZ." America was built on "I earned XYZ with my effort."
Wasn't America built on slavery and extremely low wages? I love how poor folks always lobby for the insanely rich, it's hiliarious. Since when did it become wrong to ask for a fair wage to keep up with the rate of inflation? Multi billion corporations are making record profits every year, and doing so on the backs of poverty stricken employees making anywhere from $5-$7 an hour. It's really not far from slavery.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:01 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Wasn't America built on slavery and extremely low wages?
Yes it was.

BUT, modern day America was built on economic policy based around protectionism, isolationism and high taxes.

What do you think's going to happen to America now that we've tossed out that economic policy?

Old 08-13-2012, 03:14 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times
You surely cant live off min wage but dont expect it to increase any time soon. A fair min wage should be $10.00 a hr. I know someone who works in the meat dept at grocery store & she earns approx $15.50 hr + she gets bonuses time to time. Shes in the union & pays union fees.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:08 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Wasn't America built on slavery and extremely low wages? I love how poor folks always lobby for the insanely rich, it's hiliarious. Since when did it become wrong to ask for a fair wage to keep up with the rate of inflation? Multi billion corporations are making record profits every year, and doing so on the backs of poverty stricken employees making anywhere from $5-$7 an hour. It's really not far from slavery.
Read his post again.
You DON'T HAVE TO TAKE THE JOB.

But once you agree to take a job and you agree with the wages and you sign a contract, it behooves you to do the best job you can. That is called integrity. You wouldn't put up with them not paying you the 8 bucks...why should they put up with you not doing the job the best you can?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Again, YOU DON'T NEED TO WORK FOR THEM!

Go start a company yourself, work for yourself. You don't need to work for anybody if you don't think you are compensated properly.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Read his post again.
You DON'T HAVE TO TAKE THE JOB.

But once you agree to take a job and you agree with the wages and you sign a contract, it behooves you to do the best job you can. That is called integrity. You wouldn't put up with them not paying you the 8 bucks...why should they put up with you not doing the job the best you can?

Exactly! Don't agree to do the job if you don't like the pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment