Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 07:56 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
$79,000/year vs. $17,000.

Yeah, you bet your sweet rear end that I'm going to have the same work ethic for a $17,000/year job that I would for a $79,000/year job!!!
I see this as a horrible attitude and no work ethic whatsoever.

Is it that young college grads refuse to take anything less than what they believe they are worth? I'm just becoming involved in this discussion so am genuinely asking.

Most of us worked crap jobs for at least 3 years before landing that good one after we graduated.

Even WAAAAAY BACCK THEN ~ jobs didn't fall into your lap right after graduation. Bartending, waitressing, fast food . . . you took those jobs until you could get your foot in a bigger and better door.

And because you had some PRIDE in your work (no matter what ); you did your best. Hell, I Volunteer for a ton of activities and still want them done well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Is it that young college grads refuse to take anything less than what they believe they are worth? I'm just becoming involved in this discussion so am genuinely asking.

Most of us worked crap jobs for at least 3 years before landing that good one after we graduated.

Even WAAAAAY BACCK THEN ~ jobs didn't fall into your lap right after graduation. Bartending, waitressing, fast food . . . you took those jobs until you could get your foot in a bigger and better door.

And because you had some PRIDE in your work (no matter what ); you did your best. Hell, I Volunteer for a ton of activities and still want them done well.
It's not a question of simply doing the job you're paid to do, its' a question of should employers deserve perfection for $8/hr and not expect to pay more.

It sort of like choosing between two products. If you buy the off-brand box of Frosted Flakes at the store for $1.50, you need to accept the fact that you're only going to receive $1.50 worth of Frosted Flakes and not ***** about the fact that it tastes cheap. If you want the real Frosted Flakes, then you need to pay the $3.00 for it.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

The kid slacking off bagging groceries will be a poor hiring choice 20 years later in an office. Work ethic , good or bad, is a constant for each individual.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The kid slacking off bagging groceries will be a poor hiring choice 20 years later in an office.
Not necessarily.

First off, 20 years is a long time.

Second, people's attitude can change with the right type of push.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily.

First off, 20 years is a long time.

Second, people's attitude can change with the right type of push.
Perhaps if the slacker is fired once or twice, and needs a long time to find a new job, that may be true.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Perhaps if the slacker is fired once or twice, and needs a long time to find a new job, that may be true.
Or, perhaps if you apply positive reinforcement.

Show him that he's a valuable employer by making his career path within your company clear. Praise him for the job you hired him to do if he does a good job. Provide him with a bonus if he goes above and beyond. If he consistently goes above and beyond, provide him with a $1 or $2 raise.

Otherwise, you'll just be whining again about the next person you hire who isn't giving you the $3 box of Frosted Flakes you feel you're entitled to when you're only paying them $1.50 for it.

Yeah, I know, crazy talk.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Or, perhaps if you apply positive reinforcement.

Show him that he's a valuable employer by making his career path within your company clear. Praise him for the job you hired him to do if he does a good job.
The above sentence is fine, and should be done, but his pay and his work ethic are not related. His character and his work ethic are heavily related.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
The above sentence is fine, and should be done, but his pay and his work ethic are not related. His character and his work ethic are heavily related.
You made a business contract with them. In exchange to do a certain job, you're going to pay them a certain wage.

As long as they're doing the minimum of what you wanted them to do and you're paying them the minimum of what you agreed to pay them, that's all that matters. Everything else if irrelevant.

Their objective is to make enough money by any means necessary so they can afford to pay their bills and have money to spare without costing themselves more money (such as receiving a civil or criminal charge, or spending more in gas than they make at work to commute back and forth).

Your objective is to make as enough money by any means necessary so you can continue to operate your business and have money to spare without costing yourself more money (such as not following a regulation that will force the government to fine you or shut you down).

Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
You made a business contract with them. In exchange to do a certain job, you're going to pay them a certain wage.

As long as they're doing the minimum of what you wanted them to do and you're paying them the minimum of what you agreed to pay them, that's all that matters. Everything else if irrelevant.

Wrong, a job pays the market rate, not the minimum. The slacker is the reason I am a firm believer in employment at will, and taking a good, hard look at a person's record before the expiration of a probationary period. If he/she is a slacker, the earlier they are taken off the payroll, the sooner one can seek a productive employee to backfill the spot. That person, unlike the slacker, deserves a chance.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Wrong, a job pays the market rate, not the minimum.
I said the minimum you agreed to pay them.

For example, if you agreed to pay them $12/hr, you have an obligation to pay them $12/hr once they complete their $12/hr worth of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment