Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 01:14 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
So you want the guy with 10 sacks of peanuts to share them all with everyone? Guess what? Thats called communism. Or in simpler terms: "WAAAAAH!" Geez, so someone has it better than you. Cry about it some more why dont ya?
We should have never let them steal it off our backs in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 01:29 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
We should have never let them steal it off our backs in the first place.
steal? steal what? someone started up a business and made money....you didnt. start your own business or deal with it.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:54 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
And I'm glad that I'm raising my children to understand that hard work should be appropriately compensated. If someone wants it from you they shouldn't pay you nickels and dimes for it. Hard work to accomplish a goal like becoming a vet is great. Hard work so that a cheap creep can buy his third vacation home while you rely on food stamps to eat is stupid.

Yeah it is that simple. Eight dollars an hour translates into about 16k a year or poverty level wages. Pay someone poverty level wages and you have no business whining they give you poverty level work. We all know that. That's why Wal-Mart doesn't stand for quality. I have no idea why this obvious fact offends you so much. Please tell me you're not an employer. Because that's a delusional stance even in this crappy job market.
For the sake of accuracy, the poverty line for one person is more like $11,000, so if you're making $16,000 a year you're doing quite well by the standards of the government, and according to pythonis, you're probably living the american dream.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:56 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times
Quote:
steal? steal what? someone started up a business and made money....you didnt. start your own business or deal with it.

Stole labor value

Old 08-01-2012, 02:04 PM

758 posts, read 1,640,921 times
Quote:
So you want the guy with 10 sacks of peanuts to share them all with everyone? Guess what? Thats called communism. Or in simpler terms: "WAAAAAH!" Geez, so someone has it better than you. Cry about it some more why dont ya?

OMG is this a website frequented by lawyers, accountants, and other uppity rich folk? Are you all complaining that $8 an hour wouldnt let you go on those luxurious cruises and island getaways once a month like youre use to getting?

I think it is more that this board is frequented by people who have seen job requirements get ever stricter, but salaries decrease. For example, in the science field where I currently work, entry level jobs used to start at around 22K with a 4 year degree and pretty much little to no experience. Now (10 years later), the same entry level position requires a 4 year degree, 4 years of experience while in undergrad, 2-3 years experience full time after undergrad, very specific experience (we want you to do experiments A, B, and C...if you only know experiments A, but also D and E...we don't want you), for a starting salary of 25K. So 10 years worth of inflation and increased expectations results in 4K increase (discounting inflation) in salary?

How is it that jobs can be entry level and require YEARS of experience?

Old 08-01-2012, 02:25 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
I think it is more that this board is frequented by people who have seen job requirements get ever stricter, but salaries decrease. For example, in the science field where I currently work, entry level jobs used to start at around 22K with a 4 year degree and pretty much little to no experience. Now (10 years later), the same entry level position requires a 4 year degree, 4 years of experience while in undergrad, 2-3 years experience full time after undergrad, very specific experience (we want you to do experiments A, B, and C...if you only know experiments A, but also D and E...we don't want you), for a starting salary of 25K. So 10 years worth of inflation and increased expectations results in 4K increase (discounting inflation) in salary?

How is it that jobs can be entry level and require YEARS of experience?
That's actually a 3k increase. Your employer should lower the salary to, say, minimum wage, but with no experience requirements. That appears to be the salary most 4 year degrees are worth these days.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:30 PM

758 posts, read 1,640,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
That's actually a 3k increase. Your employer should lower the salary to, say, minimum wage, but with no experience requirements. That appears to be the salary most 4 year degrees are worth these days.

Oops, I actually meant to type 26K. I think my finger slipped. But WHY should the same job provide LESS money than 10 years before? Even if you drop the requirements to high school diploma and being able to spell DNA?

And from 2002 to 2012, accounting for inflation, the base salary should be 28K. So at 25K (or 26K), you actually make LESS than you would have in 2002.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Uh oh, you're bringing up those dreaded four letter words again..work and earn. Oh, the humanity.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
. Or in simpler terms: "waaaaah!" geez, so someone has it better than you. Cry about it some more why dont ya?
lol!

Old 08-01-2012, 04:35 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
So you are teaching your children they are worth more then what they may actually be worth. This is the entitlement attitude that is destroying our country. It sounds as if you would rather you children live on welfare then work, because you want them to think that they should be entitled to a certain amount of money no matter what they do.

Just because you believe the person is worth more then the pay, does not mean the specific job is worth more then the pay.

and btw.... 16k is above poverty level, not at poverty level.
I am teaching my kids not to work for entitled twits who think they should get filet mignon for the cost of hamburger. When you pay so little people qualify for welfare. This means that others are literally subsidizing your profits. That is an absurd mindset: pay as little as you can get away with and whine that your employees aren't grateful enough. Maybe you'll get lucky and my kids will be your kid's employers. This way your kids will be treated humanely and respectfully instead like peons who should happy to be patronized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment