Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
And the employee has every right to not accept that job if they feel they are worth more money then what is being offered.

Employers are not the local welfare office. A certain pay is not something someone is entitled to just because they are alive. If you accept a job that you feel doesnt pay enough then you can't possibly complain about the pay, since it was your choice.

I am sick of arrogant employees who think everyone else owes them, and that they shouldnt have to actually work to provide a life for themselves.

How is it your choice? Because you chose it over homelessness and starvation? I can say with near confidence that 95% of people working in low wage jobs are not there because they wanted to be, they are there because the job they are in is the only one they could find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 11:04 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
How is it your choice? Because you chose it over homelessness and starvation? I can say with near confidence that 95% of people working in low wage jobs are not there because they wanted to be, they are there because the job they are in is the only one they could find.
But it was still a choice, and there are many people in the lower wage jobs that are there because they are not skilled enough to get higher wages. And with today's welfare system, people don't have to worry about starvation.

I have found that people no matter what wage they are earning, who use any excuse they can for a reason to not show proper work ethics, are the ones who will not become as successful as they believe they should be.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
An employer who pays almost nothing should expect almost nothing in return. People take jobs so they can eat and keep a roof over their heads. Employers who don't pay enough to make that happen have no right to complain when they get what they pay for.
What they should expect and what you agree to do are two different things. Are you suggesting that employees should lack integrity and do less than what they agreed to when taking a job? That's horrible. If an employee doesn't agree to the terms of a job, then they should not take it. Just like how if an employer doesn't like the terms of an employee, they should not hire them. To take a job and do less than what you signed up for, lacks integrity.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
People have the right to a roof over their heads, access to medical care and food on their tables. When an employer asks an employee to work for wages that don't provide such necessities the employer has no right to complain when he gets less than stellar work instead.

Employee aren't slaves. A job is not a favor. You want someone to work hard for you? Great! Pay them wages that allow them to meet their needs. If you don't, you can't possibly complain that you're not getting your needs met.

I'm sick of arrogant employers who think they're world's greatest people when they create "jobs" that are only a slight step up from servitude.
People should have the right to the opportunity to have a roof over their head.... etc. Which they do. For those who don't care to exercise that right, let them live how they want to live. It's not up to use to tell them what they should have.

One can choose to be an actuary or one can choose to be a janitor. The consequences of those choices vary.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,425 times
The employer definitely gets what they pay for. I'd do my job, no more or less. Typically, big corporations are the ones doling out minimum wage work, and if they believe I'm not worth more than minimum wage, then I'll only give minimum effort.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 AM

720 posts, read 3,008,051 times
i remember back when i was in my teens and jobs were pleantiful. you could literally walk into a retail store, convenient store, landscaping place, etc and get hired on the spot, you start tomorrow.

being an immature kid, knowing i could land another job in two seconds, and having "priorities" more important than work like going to a party saturday and not wanting to take up for work sunday meant just not showing up go find a new job monday and start tuesday.

my grandpa jokes with me i have had more jobs in my 10 years in the workforce than him in 60 years.

anyhow, my point being things ebb and flow. for a while it was an employees job market, jobs were pleantiful, easy to come by, and decent paying. employers hired people and paid people decently who probably weren't the best workers.

now the scales have tipped and its an employer marketplace, the market favors them. they can be picky abuyt who they hire, get more work out of people for less money etc.

i didn't see anybody crying for the employers back then but now that the scales have tipped its poor poor job seeker.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
But it was still a choice, and there are many people in the lower wage jobs that are there because they are not skilled enough to get higher wages. And with today's welfare system, people don't have to worry about starvation.
Even food stamps have a time limit

Old 07-31-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
One can choose to be an actuary or one can choose to be a janitor. The consequences of those choices vary.
No, they cant. There is limited demand for both janitors and actuaries.

The most one can "choose" to do is attempt to be an actuary or a janitor.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:25 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
i didn't see anybody crying for the employers back then but now that the scales have tipped its poor poor job seeker.
Two points:

1) Not all of us participated in the "good times" for the employees, which happened years ago. Quite frankly, there has never been any period of time where I've been in the work force since leaving college where the economy has been truly healthy. So, portraying the current economic mess as some form of karma doesn't work since many who are suffering didn't create the problem.

2) The reason there was no sympathy for employers back then is because they still were able to hire people, sell products, and make a profit - everyone was winning. Today's mess, where close to 20% of the workforce is unemployed, is destroying peoples' lives, putting folks out on the street, and - in extreme cases - leading to early death. There is no comparison between, "our economy is healthy and we can't hire people fast enough" to "our economy is collapsing and people are starving in the streets."

Old 07-31-2012, 12:34 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
i remember back when i was in my teens and jobs were pleantiful. you could literally walk into a retail store, convenient store, landscaping place, etc and get hired on the spot, you start tomorrow.

being an immature kid, knowing i could land another job in two seconds, and having "priorities" more important than work like going to a party saturday and not wanting to take up for work sunday meant just not showing up go find a new job monday and start tuesday.

my grandpa jokes with me i have had more jobs in my 10 years in the workforce than him in 60 years.

anyhow, my point being things ebb and flow. for a while it was an employees job market, jobs were pleantiful, easy to come by, and decent paying. employers hired people and paid people decently who probably weren't the best workers.

now the scales have tipped and its an employer marketplace, the market favors them. they can be picky abuyt who they hire, get more work out of people for less money etc.

Yeah, we had to work the floor when people like you didn't show up =D

Not that it was all that bad. The only time I had availability to do that was during the summer and I was always working full-time then, so I got time and a half to work the cash register during high school/college. $18/hour to ring up customers, I wasn't complaining. Made a nice change of pace from filling prescriptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment