Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 07:02 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,876,624 times

Advertisements

To answer the OP, no I would not. You get what you pay for. I have no idea why so many employers think they can pay horrible wages and expect loyalty and lots of hard work. We're constantly told that the only way to get some overpaid CEO to work even harder is to hand him even more millions. I have no idea why that principle isn't supposed to apply across the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:36 PM

810 posts, read 1,764,896 times
To be honest I work 100% harder at my current part time job for $10 a hour then when I made $22 a hour. Why do I do this is a good question. Initally I took this job because of all of the "unemployed need not apply, you must have at least 6 months current work experience etc." I also was under the false hope that maybe I would get health benefits, or maybe even a raise. Haha funny, that may not happen. I keep applying trying to remain hopeful that something will come along.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,201,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
To answer the OP, no I would not. You get what you pay for. I have no idea why so many employers think they can pay horrible wages and expect loyalty and lots of hard work. We're constantly told that the only way to get some overpaid CEO to work even harder is to hand him even more millions. I have no idea why that principle isn't supposed to apply across the board.
I don't know what "hard work" is but when you take a job you should be taking a job with the intent to meet the employers expectations. Otherwise, why bother taking the job? If you want a job that pays more, take a job that pays more... right?

Old 07-30-2012, 11:31 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,552,203 times
throughout my work life what i found true was as the pay went up the demands of what they expected went down. for 7 bucks an hour they want the world.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:42 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,214,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
If by series of jack asses you mean Reagan, I agree. Most of the Presidents did a pretty good job of keeping the minimum wage current with small incremental raises. H.W. Bush increased the minimum wage during his tenure, Clinton increased it his first term but presided over a very slight decrease overall in nominal dollars, Bush increased it by more than $2/hour. Obama is on track to be the only president since Reagan to not increase the minimum wage... so maybe he belongs on that list to. Even if Obama wins a second term and did not raise the minimum wage he still would be a very different second simply because inflation is so much lower now than it was in the '80s.

True, none of them compensated for Reagan, so if that was your expectation then maybe they are all jack asses.

Some were better than others, with Reagan being the worst (in my opinion Reagan was one of the worst 10 presidents in history), but even though it was raised a few times after that, nobody made up the ground that had been eroded by Reagan, and they are all to blame for that.

Every president since Nixon, with the exception of possibly Jimmy Carter, has been completely dedicated to making the rich richer, and eroding minimum wage is one of the tools they had to do so.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,214,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Interesting to note that minimum wage jobs tend to have the highest turnover rates out there. That demonstrates how "hard" people are willing to work for a minimum wage job. The higher the pay, the more likely a person will stay.
Minimum wage doesnt buy any loyalty or dedication, but most employers of minimum and low wage workers could care less, they simply accept sub par work and high turnover as a cost of business.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't know what "hard work" is but when you take a job you should be taking a job with the intent to meet the employers expectations. Otherwise, why bother taking the job? If you want a job that pays more, take a job that pays more... right?
An employer who pays almost nothing should expect almost nothing in return. People take jobs so they can eat and keep a roof over their heads. Employers who don't pay enough to make that happen have no right to complain when they get what they pay for.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,087,064 times
Quote:
An employer who pays almost nothing should expect almost nothing in return. People take jobs so they can eat and keep a roof over their heads. Employers who don't pay enough to make that happen have no right to complain when they get what they pay for.
And that employee has no right to complain when they are without a job and can't find any other work.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
And that employee has no right to complain when they are without a job and can't find any other work.
People have the right to a roof over their heads, access to medical care and food on their tables. When an employer asks an employee to work for wages that don't provide such necessities the employer has no right to complain when he gets less than stellar work instead.

Employee aren't slaves. A job is not a favor. You want someone to work hard for you? Great! Pay them wages that allow them to meet their needs. If you don't, you can't possibly complain that you're not getting your needs met.

I'm sick of arrogant employers who think they're world's greatest people when they create "jobs" that are only a slight step up from servitude.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:24 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,087,064 times
Quote:
People have the right to a roof over their heads, access to medical care and food on their tables. When an employer asks an employee to work for wages that don't provide such necessities the employer has no right to complain when he gets less than stellar work instead.

Employee aren't slaves. A job is not a favor. You want someone to work hard for you? Great! Pay them wages that allow them to meet their needs. If you don't, you can't possibly complain that you're not getting your needs met.

I'm sick of arrogant employers who think they're world's greatest people when they create "jobs" that are only a slight step up from servitude.
And the employee has every right to not accept that job if they feel they are worth more money then what is being offered.

Employers are not the local welfare office. A certain pay is not something someone is entitled to just because they are alive. If you accept a job that you feel doesnt pay enough then you can't possibly complain about the pay, since it was your choice.

I am sick of arrogant employees who think everyone else owes them, and that they shouldnt have to actually work to provide a life for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment