Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 12:48 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Even food stamps have a time limit
No they do not... They should but they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 01:01 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
No they do not... They should but they don't.

Yes they do.

Facts About the Food Stamp Program

"Generally, able-bodied adults aged 18 to 50 who do not have children and are not pregnant can only get SNAP benefits for 3 months in a 3-year period unless they are working or participating in a work or workfare program. There are a few exceptions."

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/rules/M...ivers_2012.pdf

This memo created work waivers for many states, but that is temporary.

In general, you cant just sit on food stamps doing nothing. They force you to work, or cut you off.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Yes they do.

Facts About the Food Stamp Program

"Generally, able-bodied adults aged 18 to 50 who do not have children and are not pregnant can only get SNAP benefits for 3 months in a 3-year period unless they are working or participating in a work or workfare program. There are a few exceptions."

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/rules/M...ivers_2012.pdf

This memo created work waivers for many states, but that is temporary.

In general, you cant just sit on food stamps doing nothing. They force you to work, or cut you off.
Then do like many of the others that feel that everyone else should take care of them, go have a kid and get the foodstamps for the next 18 years.

See there is another choice, and you wouldn't have to take the job you felt was beneath you.

Just because a person feels they are worth more then minimum wage, doesn't mean the job is worth more then that.

I have had people with no skills that I have hired on at $10.00 per hour. Once they learn the field and can work on there own without having to call into the office for help, I jump them up to $25.00 per hour. Yet, I have people start whining after a couple of weeks about only making 10 and hour. I mean come on, you have no skill, and I am spending the money to train you, yet you feel you deserve to make more money just because you are a person, I am sorry, but this is ridiculous.

I started at the bottom, had pretty much nothing, but I worked my arse off, even at the minimum wage jobs and proved myself. Due to this work ethic and not complaining about the wage, I was able to move up and never looked back.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:15 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,441 times
Quote:
I started at the bottom, had pretty much nothing, but I worked my arse off, even at the minimum wage jobs and proved myself. Due to this work ethic and not complaining about the wage, I was able to move up and never looked back.
I think most of us on here did or are currently doing the same. There's no shame in that. I bet now you can look back on your experience and be proud that you're self-made. To me, that's what it's all about: being proud of what you've accomplished on your own.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I think most of us on here did or are currently doing the same. There's no shame in that. I bet now you can look back on your experience and be proud that you're self-made. To me, that's what it's all about: being proud of what you've accomplished on your own.
I agree fully. Which is why it seems to irk me so much when I see the people on here talking about how because it is so low of a wage, they wouldn't put in the effort. I struggled, my family had to do without at times, but in the end, it was all worth it. Now my family is able to not have to do without, I feel, I am a far better employer because I had to put my time in at the bottom.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 PM

640 posts, read 1,215,040 times
With all due respect, what kind of hiring process do you have? you expect thick resumes and online personality tests? do you advertise the jobs? do you hire responsible teenagers? high school grads? What is your point? That unemployed people have no excuse for being unable to find a job? This argument is made here from various people every single day. Nobody acknowledges the unacceptable hiring process for jobs, especially these low paying jobs.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:12 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What they should expect and what you agree to do are two different things. Are you suggesting that employees should lack integrity and do less than what they agreed to when taking a job? That's horrible. If an employee doesn't agree to the terms of a job, then they should not take it. Just like how if an employer doesn't like the terms of an employee, they should not hire them. To take a job and do less than what you signed up for, lacks integrity.
There's nothing horrible about giving a horrible employer all he's paying for. What lacks integrity, and worse common sense, is taking advantage of a bad job market. If you pay people wages that aren't making their lives easy why do you expect said employees to make YOUR life easy?

Why are you so suprised that when you offer bottom of the barrel wages you are going to get bottom of the barrel work? What kind of human being expects others to provide them with diamonds for pennies?

A greedy employer will get what he pays for. He's a overentitled moron if he expects anything else.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:19 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
If I wanted to advance at the job, yes. I will admit that I had a second job at a bookstore for barely above minimum and I only worked about as hard as I had to. I didn't slack off but I didn't go above and beyond either.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:22 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times
Quote:
Then do like many of the others that feel that everyone else should take care of them, go have a kid and get the foodstamps for the next 18 years.

See there is another choice, and you wouldn't have to take the job you felt was beneath you.

Just because a person feels they are worth more then minimum wage, doesn't mean the job is worth more then that.

I have had people with no skills that I have hired on at $10.00 per hour. Once they learn the field and can work on there own without having to call into the office for help, I jump them up to $25.00 per hour. Yet, I have people start whining after a couple of weeks about only making 10 and hour. I mean come on, you have no skill, and I am spending the money to train you, yet you feel you deserve to make more money just because you are a person, I am sorry, but this is ridiculous.

Congratulations. We'll give you a round of applause.

If you want to offer people a job that starts low and then wages raise depending on performance that's one thing. But if you want to offer people a crappy job with crappy wages that offers nothing but crappy wages you have no right to complain when you get crappy work. You also have no right to whine that the employee seeks ways to feed himself. In fact you should be grateful that the safety net exists lest the workers gather together and take what they need from you to meet their needs.

The safety net isn't just about protecting the poor. It's about protecting the greedy rich from well earned pitchforks and mobs. Starving homeless people don't exactly make the sort of customers most businesses need. Be happy others provide for your workers so they can eat and have a roof over their heads.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:38 PM

640 posts, read 1,215,040 times
I do think people are bigots for example they will say all disabled people are lazy bums who need to get over themselves and find a job. But what the people making these generalizations don't realize is that it's tough finding work with a disability. You hear some people who disclose themselves at interviews and don't get the job, and start wondering what if they were unlawfully discriminated. But it doesn't stop there. This keeps happening. It's even tougher in this "new normal". Some disabled people really do want to work. I know I do. I've also talked to several others who are pretty depressed about the jumping through all the hoops to get hired. Some have degrees and some don't.

As for all the programs to help disabled people become self-sufficient, it doesn't seem like there is too much of an effort to encourage disabled people to utilize such programs, except for the ones (like myself) who are dead serious about making a change in our lives. Places like vocrehab aren't always the best either, varies from state to state, alot of people have horrible experiences with it, which I can understand.

The last thing people need is to be blamed for everything while someone else gets away like a bandit and you are just supposed to bend over and accept it. When people on this forum tell me to stop whining they are really saying stop sticking up for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment