Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
All I can really say is I am so glad that I am raising my children to not have an entitlement mentality as it seems many posters on here have. my kids are learning the value of hard work, and the realization that if they want something in life, they will have to make it happen for themselves.
And I'm glad that I'm raising my children to understand that hard work should be appropriately compensated. If someone wants it from you they shouldn't pay you nickels and dimes for it. Hard work to accomplish a goal like becoming a vet is great. Hard work so that a cheap creep can buy his third vacation home while you rely on food stamps to eat is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Paying someone $XX amount of money when all parties agree is not lacking integrity. The employer would lack integrity if they chose to pay $n/hour and ended up paying ($n-1)/hour. The same applies to an employee. An employee lacks integrity if they agree to do work of ϑ quality and provide less than ϑ quality of work. It's that simple.

If the employee and employer agree on $8/hour for substandard work, then it is perfectly legit for for the employee to do substandard work. There's nothing wrong with this scenario.
Yeah it is that simple. Eight dollars an hour translates into about 16k a year or poverty level wages. Pay someone poverty level wages and you have no business whining they give you poverty level work. We all know that. That's why Wal-Mart doesn't stand for quality. I have no idea why this obvious fact offends you so much. Please tell me you're not an employer. Because that's a delusional stance even in this crappy job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 11:08 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
And I'm glad that I'm raising my children to understand that hard work should be appropriately compensated. If someone wants it from you they shouldn't pay you nickels and dimes for it. Hard work to accomplish a goal like becoming a vet is great. Hard work so that a cheap creep can buy his third vacation home while you rely on food stamps to eat is stupid.

Yeah it is that simple. Eight dollars an hour translates into about 16k a year or poverty level wages. Pay someone poverty level wages and you have no business whining they give you poverty level work. We all know that. That's why Wal-Mart doesn't stand for quality. I have no idea why this obvious fact offends you so much. Please tell me you're not an employer. Because that's a delusional stance even in this crappy job market.

So you are teaching your children they are worth more then what they may actually be worth. This is the entitlement attitude that is destroying our country. It sounds as if you would rather you children live on welfare then work, because you want them to think that they should be entitled to a certain amount of money no matter what they do.

Just because you believe the person is worth more then the pay, does not mean the specific job is worth more then the pay.

and btw.... 16k is above poverty level, not at poverty level.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
If you can go into your bathroom, flush the toilet and run hot/cold water in the sink and shower, go into the kitchen and find food in your cabinets and refrigerator, go into your bedroom, lie down on your bed or even the floor, and pat your full stomach as you look up at the ceiling and 4 walls protecting you from the elements.....then youre RICH. You have it tons better than some other people do so quit your whining.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:37 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
I'm not offended by the facts, I'm concerned about the same folks who think it's okay to work below what you agreed to have the ability to vote.

I didn't know that poverty = low quality.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What the heck when I was 18 I was making 15 bucks an hour. That was 44 years ago- My family were builders and all had some sort of skill...even if it was digging a ditch....44 years later and someone is making 8 bucks----I would rather live on the street and sleep under a damned bridge than make some chump "making a payroll" turn a profit on what is slave labor...You people are out of your mind...In CANADA a teenage baby sitter can make 16 bucks an hour....These people who want to maintain the status quote by acting as if 8 bucks an hour is worth getting out of be for are liars in denial.....this is a disgrace....Why would you work for such a wage....and what do you really get out of it? Some sort of pride for having a job? It is not a pride - it is a shame.
This country was founded on slave labor, and will continue to do so. That's what makes America great, not like Canada. Employers here don't even need to pay waiters and waitresses to work for them. It's free labor, essentially, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I agree fully. Which is why it seems to irk me so much when I see the people on here talking about how because it is so low of a wage, they wouldn't put in the effort. I struggled, my family had to do without at times, but in the end, it was all worth it. Now my family is able to not have to do without, I feel, I am a far better employer because I had to put my time in at the bottom.
Working for minimum wage in order to support a family is what it means to an American. I salute you!

Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
This country was founded on slave labor, and will continue to do so. That's what makes America great, not like Canada. Employers here don't even need to pay waiters and waitresses to work for them. It's free labor, essentially, lol.

Working for minimum wage in order to support a family is what it means to an American. I salute you!
Let's not excite the democratic party by bringing up slave labor.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
If you can go into your bathroom, flush the toilet and run hot/cold water in the sink and shower, go into the kitchen and find food in your cabinets and refrigerator, go into your bedroom, lie down on your bed or even the floor, and pat your full stomach as you look up at the ceiling and 4 walls protecting you from the elements.....then youre RICH. You have it tons better than some other people do so quit your whining.
Ugh, Im so sick of this race to the bottom argument. You should focus on the peanut you have, because some people dont have a peanut, forget about the guy who has ten sacks of peanuts.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:56 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
Honestly, if I were that desperate to accept a gig for $8/hr I would:

- Do the minimum required of me.
- Will try to go beyond what's required for a while to see if it'll get me a raise.
- If not, then go back to doing the minimum while looking for a better paying job.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
. Eight dollars an hour translates into about 16k a year or poverty level wages. Pay someone poverty level wages and you have no business whining they give you poverty level work. We all know that. That's why Wal-Mart doesn't stand for quality.
Wrong. It means one is performing a simple job, thus they are earning simple pay. Many who do this recognize they need 2nd jobs, nothing wrong with that. Many increase their skill sets, add education or training, and move on to better jobs.

Retail and fast food by the nature of the minimal requirements naturally pay commensurate minimal wages. Most every 16 year old used to work such jobs, and almost all of them were doing more complex work, earning far higher pay, not many years down the road.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:50 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Ugh, Im so sick of this race to the bottom argument. You should focus on the peanut you have, because some people dont have a peanut, forget about the guy who has ten sacks of peanuts.
So you want the guy with 10 sacks of peanuts to share them all with everyone? Guess what? Thats called communism. Or in simpler terms: "WAAAAAH!" Geez, so someone has it better than you. Cry about it some more why dont ya?

OMG is this a website frequented by lawyers, accountants, and other uppity rich folk? Are you all complaining that $8 an hour wouldnt let you go on those luxurious cruises and island getaways once a month like youre use to getting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment