Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 01:07 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
It can shift the pendulum back towards job applicants alot. I can offer to work for $3 per hour, while the guy next to me wants $6 per hour. Remember these aren't career jobs, these are stepping stone jobs. So arguing about "I can't live on that!" is irrelevant. I would have an upper hand against other applicants who wanted a higher wage. You see, it gives job applicants an extra edge. Employers can afford it.

Everyone is HAPPY! It works out for everyone! That's the beauty of it.

Why dont you just work for free, that should make EVERYONE happiest right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 01:27 PM

507 posts, read 514,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
as you would for $10 - $12 or $15?

In other words, when it comes to the amount of effort you put out on your job, would you say that your employer...."gets what they pay for", or would you give 100 percent effort regardless of whether you were making $12,000 a year or $30,000 per year?

Just wondering, y'all

20yrsinBranson
I know this an old post but I work hard no matter what. Before I lost my old job I was only getting paid $8.25 and I worked my but off. It didn't matter what time of the day it was or how long the work day was, I was there on time, ready to go, and pick up a shift. I got along so well with my manager that he would've allowed me to work extra days even if I wasn't supposed to because he knew I would get the job done

I pride myself on working hard on whatever it is that I do. A little pocket change doesn't hurt ($12 right now would be more than enough because I am unemployed right now while attending nursing school) and keeps me afloat.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:47 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
It can shift the pendulum back towards job applicants alot. I can offer to work for $3 per hour, while the guy next to me wants $6 per hour. Remember these aren't career jobs, these are stepping stone jobs. So arguing about "I can't live on that!" is irrelevant. I would have an upper hand against other applicants who wanted a higher wage. You see, it gives job applicants an extra edge. Employers can afford it.

Everyone is HAPPY! It works out for everyone! That's the beauty of it.
Until you have to pay the bills.

For you, if all else fails, you still have SSDI to fall back on. Most people don't.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Until you have to pay the bills.

For you, if all else fails, you still have SSDI to fall back on. Most people don't.
Those who don't are hurt the most by an artificial wage level which makes them unemployable.
The reality is many FEAR the lack of a minimum wage as they NEED folks to be shut out, reducing their competition for jobs.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:17 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
EVERY job go hand in hand. The lack of working hard 100% of the time indicates a work ethic cannot exist.
Absolutely. I'm beginning to see why some folks remain unemployed or can't seem to stay employed.

Work is WORK and you do the best job you can whether it pays $8.00 per hour or $80,000 a year.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Absolutely. I'm beginning to see why some folks remain unemployed or can't seem to stay employed.

Work is WORK and you do the best job you can whether it pays $8.00 per hour or $80,000 a year.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:21 PM

241 posts, read 1,020,210 times
Quote:

Really don't see how it can be the same between 8 and 38 / hour

Old 08-02-2012, 07:12 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
Really don't see how it can be the same between 8 and 38 / hour
$79,000/year vs. $17,000.

Yeah, you bet your sweet rear end that I'm going to have the same work ethic for a $17,000/year job that I would for a $79,000/year job!!!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Ditto. Perhaps future generaations will regain the lost American work ethic, a great asset in prior decades.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:19 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,425 times
I just want to go ahead and point out that in Japan and Australia the minimum wage is about $16 an hour, and their unemployment rate is half ours. In Denmark it's $18/hr and their unemployment rate also similar. I haven't looked up any further countries but you get the gist. There doesn't appear to be any lack of jobs due to a high minimum wage in those three countries. Shouldn't unemployment be out of control if what everyone here is saying is true? It seems to me that we're the ones guilty of this problem.

Quote:
Without minimum wage I think the door would open for alot of people who have been now pushed out of the job market such as myself and the 50% of teenagers across the country as well as young now graduated college graduates who are just trying to get some work history under their belt. The illegals are already using low wages to compete with each other and employers like it because they can avoid taxes and pay as little as possible. Seems people are against free wages because you can't live on low wages. Well, these first of all these jobs were never meant to be lifelong careers or anything like that. That's what people are forgetting. These are stepping stone jobs. That's why you worked them while going to college or trade school so you could aim for something hire when the time was right. Bottom line is I see no problem with stepping stone jobs having open-for-discussion wages. Companies can hire, people can work and save, everything just falls into place.
Stepping stone to what precisely? Minimum wage jobs only begets further minimum wage jobs for the most part. Many graduates are now having to work a minimum wage job to quickly pay back their college debt. It's not just teenagers working at these places anymore.

Furthermore, let's also not forget that many skilled and trained workers who are laid off or have lost a job for whatever reason often have to take minimum wage jobs just to get by. How will they do that on $7.25 an hour? Just a few years ago it was $5.15, which is an absolute travesty. Minimum wage jobs are not just for teenagers and unskilled workers. For many, it is the only choice when they've fallen on hard times and need something to hold them over. Although it's hard for me to imagine anyone having to rely on minimum wage. You'd basically lose everything: the car, health insurance, house, gym membership, movies, wife, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment