Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 PM

339 posts, read 833,020 times

Advertisements

I would do my best, but I wouldn't go above and beyond like I would for a job making $15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 12:18 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
Yes, I would and already have for less money. I worked my way up from $5.15/hr to over $80k/yr. It's hard for me to stay at a low wage anyway. People offer me more money, because they know they can get make more money back than my increased salary. I end up getting bonuses and raises out of the blue, without asking for one.

I find it hardest to work at the job, when things are slow. When there is less work, it makes the day drag on. When I am busy all day, the time goes by faster. I will ask if anybody needs help, because I get so bored watching the clock tick. It's like staring at a pot of water waiting for it to boil. It just drags.

Last edited by move4ward; 01-19-2013 at 12:33 AM..

Old 01-19-2013, 01:43 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,840,372 times
all those people who say they would give it their all, regardless of pay - I say BS!

hardly anyone would take a drop to $3/hr and keep up the good work for any length of time.

It's just right wing management speak.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:47 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
all those people who say they would give it their all, regardless of pay - I say BS!

hardly anyone would take a drop to $3/hr and keep up the good work for any length of time.

It's just right wing management speak.
This is all fairytale anyways. No one in their right mind would work for $3/hr. You can make more money pan-handling

Old 01-19-2013, 07:43 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,306,789 times
Nope....I'd be spending many hours at work, supposedly working and for what? what can you buy with $8 an hour? that's is a VERY insulting wage considering that Milk etc costs he same for all wage groups. Employers seem unaware of that however.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,622 times
They're aware. They just don't care. With the unemployment rate much higher than the media wants you to believe, employers can get anything under the sun, and then some. They want what they want. They can hire illegals or outsource. They have the upper hand. Eventually, in the long run, employers will feel the consequences.

For minimum wage, I wouldn't even bother contacting whoever placed the ad. I sure as hell wouldn't get out of bed.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:25 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
of a truth, the most demanding jobs i ever had were for near min wage.
as the wages went up the demands went down.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 PM

13 posts, read 21,900 times
I've been working for low wages since I re-entered the workforce after raising my children. The discipline, skill, and education it took to teach three children at home (home-schoolers), one who graduated and joined the military, and another who is now in gifted/talented and all honors, way beyond her grade-level, (the other) who learned to read at 3; these are discounted, treated as if they did not mean anything. The work it took to run a home business with a spouse, run a happy, healthy household, and run a small farm matters nothing at all to the 20-somethings who interview me for jobs, who scrutinize me as if I were a cockroach because of my dated and modest clothing, and insult me by offering to permit me to use the car I pay for in order to drive long distances and work for their company for 8 dollars an hour. I think I would not give my best to those who don't pay for or deserve it.

PS
Re-entering the workforce is an insulting title to a mislabeled situation. I worked my ass off during all those years I wasn't drawing a check from some company who saw me only as a number.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:23 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
as you would for $10 - $12 or $15?

In other words, when it comes to the amount of effort you put out on your job, would you say that your employer...."gets what they pay for", or would you give 100 percent effort regardless of whether you were making $12,000 a year or $30,000 per year?

Just wondering, y'all

20yrsinBranson
No. Wages that low (income of $15,000 per year) mean I'd have to spend a lot of time and energy getting things from dumpsters, or doing housework for a friend so they will let me rent their bedroom closet for $200 /mo.

In which case, I would have less time and energy to put into my actual job.

Higher income means I can afford to spend less time on chores and looking for free/cheap items, thus I can work harder.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:59 PM

494 posts, read 1,610,366 times
Having worked on 7.50 an hour before for a year, no. You'll probably have the mindset of when you first start, "I'll do my best no matter what the pay!", but then when the demanding workload comes in and the lack of employee value at that wage starts to hit you, you'll be singing a different tune in a few months. It's really the fact. I've yet to see someone happy that they are working a low-wage job. I think for me, the value thing was got to me more than the pay. I'm someone who is a hardworker no matter what I do, but to see that my work was never acknowledged, rewarded, or really ever valued, kinda hit my harder emotionally than the wage did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment