Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:00 PM

563 posts, read 1,711,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
sorta like a more mundane version of csi where only plants die :d
lol!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 07:03 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I cannot stand 90% of my job. Due to constant obstacles, coupled with difficult co-workers and endless meetings. The only part I like is the pay.
i'm with you on the meetings. i've often said that if i was in a position to have to call meetings, i would insist on there being no chairs in the room.
if no one can sit, hopefully that would limit the useless things to no more than 15 minutes.

meetings: the most useless idea since pet rocks.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i'm with you on the meetings. i've often said that if i was in a position to have to call meetings, i would insist on there being no chairs in the room.
if no one can sit, hopefully that would limit the useless things to no more than 15 minutes.

meetings: the most useless idea since pet rocks.
Our meetings are great. Usually, it's a paid lunch (both paid time AND a free lunch!) and we just chat about work stuff and do a little paperwork.

Our real 'meetings' are pretty boring but they're mandated by the FAA. We usually skim those pretty quickly.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:20 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
I love mine.

I have more job security than 98% of the rest of the country so that has to be a big plus right now.

I don't have a boss in the traditional sense.

But I like what I do it isn't like a real job it's fun to do. I am in a department of one, me. No supervisors, co-workers or subordinates to answer to or about. Zero in the way of office politics which is good.

70% of my time is spent in an office setting with the remaining 30% day traveling looking at projects. In four years I have had to spend maybe 15 nights away from home.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
i neither loved nor hated what i did for a living ever.
i kept my money and my art thing separate. that worked pretty good for me.
when art ceases to be fun i stop that . but the job goes one, the job pays the bills.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
Mission Ground Logistics

If its Big and Heavy, it's ours! We have access to some of the world largest special use aircraft. I go with the flights to make sure everything is set when we get there. From fuel to parking space, from permits to documents, from crew lodging to a/c security. I need to make sure that if anything goes wrong, that it gets right including introducing people to the appreciation of american history through picture of Ben Franklin.

The schedule is tough since its never 9 to 5, and emergencies happen and we are expected to fly. Pay is great, Im paid for every hour from start of flight to end of flight and all hours (working or not) in between. Company beniies are great. get to travel all over at company expense.

The job is not for anyone who needs routine as you can get a call for a 12 hour schedule or it may last 2 months away from home.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:11 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,414,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Systems Engineer, major aerospace company

Interesting work, surrounded by highly educated people, plenty of job satisfaction, not a lot of stress, lots of team work, lots of hands on experiences: labs, field sites, travel, etc. Projects I have worked on include the F-14 and the International Space Station. I actually was able to get a back seat ride in both an F-4 and F-18, on the job too. Mach 1.1, 6 gs.
The engineer is a problem solver, using science to solve practical problems; those who enjoy solving problems make good engineers.
More emphasis is placed on what you know and less on how much of a schmoozer you are (not that politics doesn't exist).
Large aerospace companies offer fantastic benefits including tuition reimbursement, PPO medical and dental, and good 401(k) company match. Many companies encourage telecommuting (obviously if the work isn't classified) and they also are very flexible with scheduling for example, keeping a core 9-3 set of hours.

I would strongly encourage my daughters to become engineers.

Note how engineers score fairly high on this poll:

StudentsReview: Job Satisfaction by Major
Sounds like you love the pay and benefits (which is a good a reason as any I can think of), but do you actually enjoy the job itself, regardless of the pay?

I used to work as a librarian assistant and truly loved it. I always wanted to pursue a master's in library science, but never lived near a school of library science. Now that online options have opened up, I might consider it---why? Simply because I loved the work!

Old 03-05-2010, 03:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Sounds like you love the pay and benefits (which is a good a reason as any I can think of), but do you actually enjoy the job itself, regardless of the pay?
Most of the time, but not always, but I can't think of anything else that 1) I am capable of doing AND 2) I don't hate doing AND 3) is worthwhile.

Engineering is sort of a good combination of all three.

Job criteria is broken down to capability, desirability, rewards. Most jobs you have a choice of two but not usually three. So, pick any two: capability, desirability, rewards.
If you are capable and it is desirable, chances are it isn't that rewarding. Example: Lifeguard.
If it is rewarding and it is desirable, chances are you aren't capable. Example: Pro Basketball Player.
If you are capable and it is rewarding, chances are it isn't desirable. Examples: Hit man, proctologist, Deep sea fisherman, Drug dealer, flight attendant.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:23 PM

768 posts, read 943,290 times
Disagree on drug dealer.

Just sayin'.

Medical marijuana is a beautiful thing.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
Disagree on drug dealer.

Just sayin'.

Medical marijuana is a beautiful thing.
A lot of people would consider the risk of going to prison to be undesirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment