Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:02 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times

Advertisements

Homeschooling mom slash freelance writer. I love that I can do both of my "jobs" in my pajamas if I want to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 09:29 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,351 times
Automotive engineer. I love about 10% of my job. It takes so long to develop something that the part I really like working on, the actual design, only happens once a year. The rest is process, testing, and paper shoveling.

And the stuff I do design is not that interesting to me anymore.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:09 AM

6,453 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Telephone systems! I love what I do, started doing phones in the navy, got out to work on Nortel stuff and loved it every since. The job I currently have could and will be much better later on when they open up more access to some of us, but I love being the phone guy!

Old 03-04-2010, 10:26 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I'm in parts/purchasing/compliance for a aircraft maintenance facility and I LOVE my job!

I get to work with some absolutely beautiful jets, deal with some pretty highbrow customers PLUS learn a lot about how things work around the airport.

All in all, it's a great job.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:28 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,648 times
Senior CAD designer on for a consumers product company...very fast paced work with steady hours and very little overtime. Company provides flex time, laptop and Blackberry (for work and personal use), and ability to work from home on occassion. I work from 7:00 to 4:00 and still have a life outside of work.

Great company to work for, excellent benefits, good training, 100% reimbursement on all tuition, including books (assuming you passed the class), opportunites to travel for business, great foods for cheap price in the cafeteria (much cheaper than going out for lunch), company has a house in FL that employees can book for a week (located outside of WDW), free tickets to sporting events, great 401k matching with ESOP plan that the company puts in money semi-annually, quarterly EVA bonus system, etc.

Most people retire from this company in their mid-50's.

Over the last few years, no more new people on the ESOP plan...I'm grandfathered in and the company will continue to contriubute to the plan.

Everyday I enjoy coming in to work!

Old 03-04-2010, 10:41 AM

615 posts, read 1,523,134 times
IT Security Manager, Computer forensics

I love what I do, I love the "unknown". I get to interface with so many different folks each day and see so many different things, it's never the same.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:21 AM

304 posts, read 745,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeQ View Post
My husband and I own a restaurant/coffee shop. During the week, I homeschool our three children, while he works at the restaurant. On Saturday, he gets a little time off and I work. It is a beautiful, trendy, popular place with fresh food and excellent coffee drinks. It is going well for us, but we would sell it and start another project if we could. So, do you want to buy it?
I have dreamed of having my own restaurant for a while. Can I pls pick your brain and ask you how you got started? Did you inheret it, did you have restaurant experience already, etc? Thanks!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:50 AM

58 posts, read 92,524 times
Default CoffeeQ's restaurant experience...

changeyourthoughts, Of course you can pick my brain. Good luck!
I'm new on C-D and if I can navigate to answer your questions, I'd be glad to "enlighten" you. No, we had no prior restaurant experience. We just did the research, and stuck to what we knew our dream was. There are so many aspects of the business, that I'd need to know what part you're interested in to answer. But no, we didn't inherit it, we sunk our own investment into it.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:37 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Title Analyst for an oil/gas company. I often wonder how I got so lucky. I fell into this field 40 years ago and, although I've lusted after other jobs occasionally, this one suits me perfectly. I can pretty much be my own boss; if I'm feeling social one day, I can make necessary calls and discuss problems with royalty owners...if I'm not feeling social, I can read title opinions and resolve problem issues all by my lonesome. I love using my natural math and decision-making skills. And I love it that, after 40 years, I still learn something new almost every day.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:43 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,942 times
Default Project Manager

I cannot stand 90% of my job. Due to constant obstacles, coupled with difficult co-workers and endless meetings. The only part I like is the pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment