Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 06:37 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,982 times

Advertisements

Once they burned my car in Rome because I had a Spanish tag..so I understand the Canadian flag sewn in the backpack perfectly...

But that fashion if older...... I remember seeing a lot of backpacks with Canadian flags during the 60's. I always wondered why there were so many Canadians in Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 07:54 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Although people generally figure I'm American, I often get asked if I'm from Tonga, Fiji, or another south Pacific island. I guess it's because I'm half-white/half-black, and a pretty big guy.

I don't want to get totally off-topic here, but I'd like to chime in with one of the most annoying things I have seen while living abroad. Now, I'm no nationalist or great patriot by any stretch, but I find it appalling when I meet Americans who have sewn the Canadian flag on their backpack; I used to run into this all the time back in the Bush era, and a couple of summers back I met a girl who'd done that. I asked her why. She said, "So people won't give me grief." I held my tongue, but I find that to be preposterous. I had always thought one of the central ideas of international travel was to break stereotypes and foster understanding.

That dosen't make any sense. Nobody will know where your from until they ask. And then you could always say whatever. So everybody who doesn't have a Canadian flag on his backpack in American now? lol.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:05 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
I've known a very few US citizens who said they were from Canada - don't know if they had Canadian flags on their luggage, but in casual conversations they didn't want to be known as Americans. Everyone abroad seems to like Canadians but are very ambivalent about US citizens, to say the least. Aside from avoiding trouble, they also felt it gave them a better chance of getting a good price at haggling for hotel rooms, gewgaws, and souvenirs.

It seems in my limited experience that naturalized citizens were more prone to do that, for example a Turkish couple.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:18 PM

940 posts, read 1,935,668 times
I am Russian living in the US, but I was asked multiple times if I was from Brazil

Old 12-08-2011, 07:20 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,028,415 times
I've gotten:
-Ethiopian/Eritrean
-Brazilian
-Dominican

Old 12-08-2011, 08:51 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I've gotten:
-Ethiopian/Eritrean
-Brazilian
-Dominican
Sounds like attractive, exotic, great-looking genetics!

Old 12-09-2011, 03:04 AM

230 posts, read 905,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
I am Russian living in the US, but I was asked multiple times if I was from Brazil
Not so strange. Where I lived in California there were both Russian and Brazilian exchange students. It was easy to confuse many people in either group. Especially the girls. They were usually white, some had blond hair, most spoke english with a flat accent which didn't give away nationality, and dressed in the same style, using the same expensive tacky brands such as LV and that crap.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:54 AM

940 posts, read 1,935,668 times
A lot of Russian girls like expensive brands, I went through that stage a long time ago.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:13 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Russian girls are practical and want a wealthy man to marry. Expensive clothes send a message about who need not apply.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
I've been in Vietnam for a month now. Everytime when someone asks me where I'm from and I tell them Australia, they seem surprised. 'But you look Asian, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese'. It seems Japanese is the most common one I get, followed by Vietnamese. I don't blame them for associating Australians with a certain look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World