Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Financial Capital of the World?
London 80 36.04%
New York 142 63.96%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 01:56 AM

138 posts, read 169,020 times

Advertisements

Don't know about financial capital, all I can say as an American who lived in London for 3 years during college and living in Manhattan now, London has a vibe and feeling of being international and sophisticated (while at the same time being more gritty and trendsetting in the east around Shoreditch) that NY just can't touch. NY ruled the 20th century, now it's London's turn again. Sorry NY.
Also, a lot of people like to say NY is more chaotic and a "real city". Get out of the West end and go to Hackney, Brick ln, etc. Saw crazier **** than I ever see in NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 02:18 AM

225 posts, read 216,489 times
"London is now where the energy is. New York is outré"

There is something far-reaching visionary and sort of romantic about seeing dozens of building cores going up altogether at once ...

Old 04-19-2016, 04:49 AM

9,370 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whywontthisjustwork View Post
... who lived in London for 3 years during college and living in Manhattan now, London has a vibe and feeling of being international and sophisticated ... that NY just can't touch. NY ruled the 20th century, now it's London's turn again. Sorry NY.
Had similar experiences, years ago, but in the financial sector.

With the level of resources that I have now, I am comfortable in Miami. If I had 4-5 times that level, I would move to Manhattan. And if I had double that, I would move to London, hands down.

Just saying ...

But I also want to reiterate that London is what it is in significant part because of the overflow of New York's financial power, and that of many other countries on the planet.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:04 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
I read somewhere that London has a big advantage internationally due to time zones.

Well, also the proximity to many other affluent countries. It's a quick hop to get there from Berlin, Paris, Rome, Moscow, or the Middle East.

NYC does the work for the world's one richest nation.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:03 AM

9,370 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I read somewhere that London has a big advantage internationally due to time zones.

Well, also the proximity to many other affluent countries. It's a quick hop to get there from Berlin, Paris, Rome, Moscow, or the Middle East.

NYC does the work for the world's one richest nation.
Exactly. And its overflow goes to London.

Just for example, the daily rhythm for a global currency trading book is Tokyo (maybe nowadays Singapore or Hong Kong), London, New York.

Tokyo, London, New York.

Tokyo, London, New York.

In the Tokyo (Asian) afternoon, London is open in the morning; in the New York morning, London is open in the afternoon. In the New York afternoon, New York is trading by itself.

Also people tend to forget that insurance is the tallest pillar in the overall financial sector architecture, straddling both the bond and stock markets, even commercial lending, and London is also the global center of insurance, illustrated with examples from earlier posts in this thread.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:10 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
London, but I hope NY goes down more so the US can further decentralize from it's peak in 2008

Old 04-20-2016, 03:46 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Here's the correct Thread NOLA101

Btw I really don't care which city is the Financial Capital, both are major Global Financial Centres.

However let me make it clear that London and the UK is not second rater in terms of the Global Financial Industry.

Key Facts about UK Financial and Related Professional Services 2016

Key facts about the City 2014 - City of London Economic Research

Old 04-22-2016, 07:37 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,454 times
This thread is the first time I've ever heard London referred to as trendsetting. I have to LMAO at that. If you want to rag on NY that's fine but leave your delusions out of it.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:25 AM

514 posts, read 471,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
This thread is the first time I've ever heard London referred to as trendsetting. I have to LMAO at that. If you want to rag on NY that's fine but leave your delusions out of it.
I would say it's been so - at least definitively - for the past 5-7 years.

However, as the poll above shows, most people have yet to cotton onto recent dynamics in global city metrics.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:43 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,454 times
LOL Memphis is a bigger trendsetter than all of the UK combined this century. I never seee anybody in the US emulating UK trends. It's the complete opposite. When it comes to trendsetting, London can't touch NY nor can it touch many smaller US cities. Take your banks and smoke them but you're not going to claim cultural influence or significance over NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World