Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
What rock do you live under?

American comic Doug Stanhope shyts all over Europe in his stand up routine.Ever seen South Park or Family Guy? Americans love to bash the French in general. Don't even get me started on the Canadian jokes 'eh'.
LOL I love Doug Stanhope. He makes fun of EVERYONE in the world.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I was watching a show last night and they were bashing canada then tol.

Americans are always bashing canadians.
It's true, but it's all in good fun. We give **** to my Canadian coworker all the time, but it's pretty funny stuff. We come up with funny jokes and he laughs about it - slings it back at us too. The thing is there are states in the US that are basically Canada. People say that about my home state and it's always funny.

Canadians-US get along. It's just one of those things where nobody cares, but you can come up with some pretty good jokes in the name of Canada. It's not like we're saying bad racial stuff at them. It's usually just stupid stuff about the weather, or wildlife like Moose, Elk, etc, or about something like Hockey or Curling.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Comedians make fun of pretty much everyone.... I am French and I think I come from just as much attack from Anglo-Saxon comedians than Americans do. The Greeks, the Italians, The Irish, the Aussies, usually nobody is spared in my experience. Believe me at the moment especially if you are Greek you are the butt of far more jokes than if you are American....

Americans are not somehow "selected" for special treatment by anyone , though they do tend to often be far more thin skinned as well as too often mistaking a criticism of foreign policies and politics to somehow be an attack on Americans themselves which is often not true.

Comedians make fun of other people ( and the better ones of themselves too) that's their job. They just pick on obvious points and turn it into satire or jokes.

There is no conspiracy against Americans. For example the French which Americans en masse ( not just comedians which believes me tend to grate....) tend to deride and hate so much for being "cheese eating surrender monkeys", "lazy", "commie","dirty","smelly", "hairy arm-pitted"etc... tend to look up to America and adore Americans on the whole. Do they approve of everything the US does ? of course not.

But Americans choose to interpret any criciticism as a viral hatred of them and arrogance towards them.

Americans are still generally well liked all over Europe but for goodness sake a little teasing from Comedians is no sign of hatred or contempt. Parts of the culture and politics make good fodder for comedians but the general populace in European countries tend to have warm, friendly and positive feelings towards America.

I think some Americans need to develop a bit more of a sense of humour, take sarcasm and satire as it is intended, and develop a thicker skin. Criticism is not the same as hatred. A sense of perspective might be a good thing.

One of the most mordant comedian in the UK who really does make a hell of a lot of anti American jokes and bases a lot of his comedy on it is American, Rich Hall. Even American Comedians find it a good topic for satire and jokes....

Believe me in the UK British Politics and Politicians come under attack far more from British Comedians than Americans. Just listen to any News Comedy Show and you realise Americans are just ONE OF many things being made fun of....

Rich Hall 'American Politics' - Live at the Apollo Series 6 Episode 2 Preview - BBC One - YouTube

Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 AM

59 posts, read 159,561 times
America is the big dog and has been the big dog for enough time that they should be able to take the heat. Does America want to be treated like a child forever? Perhaps, but learn to take the heat if you want to be at the center of things. Imagine how would Americans cope if no one talked about em? Ha! Everyone gets made fun of and besides, the Greeks (as Mooseketeer mentioned) are the newest fad. Deal with it.

PS: Oh and by the way... you better redneckonize! *snaps fingers*

And no I have never watched "Honey Boo" just saw "Kids React" on YouTube and what has been seen cannot be unseen let's just say. If you don't know what the Honey Boo is please don't looking for it?

Pss: America lol!

Last edited by Inventernet; 01-28-2013 at 07:01 AM..

Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
Why is that ok ?
in this clip, don draper represents america, and the short runty guy represents the rest of the anglosphere.

Don Says: "I Don't Think About You At All" - YouTube

Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
I never have taken notice to this until now. You will find people from the U.K/Canada/Aus bashing Americans in their comedies and everyone is getting the laugh out of it and yet....Americans DO NOT BASH them in any way shape or form. I actually got this link from someone else on these forums. Their is more material out there.

Dylan Moran on Americans - YouTube

America seems to have an endless amount of comedies and not one of them says anything remotely disrespectful about them at all. In fact they never even mention them in there routines. And its just not comedy--I have taken notice to some people having bits at where they go out on the streets and ask random Americans random questions and edit in the "best" (best as in dumbest) answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo

Why is that ok ? Americans have never done anything remotely like this. My thing is. If everyone in the 'Anglo-Sphere' are supposed to be 'so close' and have SO much in common (You know all of that FAKE bull crap about being friend) why is this meet with laughs. Is it because others would like to believe that their country is just SO much more sophisticated/educated/fit. If you truly believe that everyone around you is just that much more smarter then why broadcast it on your TV. Wouldn't it simply speak for it self ?
Jeez. Talk about having a thin skin.

Look, I'm a patriotic American. Love my country. But c'mon. When you are a country that is so dominant in the world's economy, culture, and politics then we should expect to take some jabs. Plus we're a country that is so wildly diverse that, quite frankly, we're easy to spoof. Heck, pick up the daily newspaper and you have a 30-minute comedy sketch buried somewhere in the first section. Maybe three or four.

Every country is ridiculous in its own way but America, by its sheer size and visibility, provides a much larger canvas for comedians. Australia and England are both countries that take a lot of hits, too. Based on how the media portrays the place, you'd think Australians rode kangaroos to work, swilled beer by the case, and were constantly putting shrimp on the barbie. And you'd think that Canadians all wore plaid flannel, cut down trees for a living, and ate heapin' helpings of flapjacks every morning before slogging outside into seven feet of snow.

Meanwhile, there's no real humor being done about Tunisians or the friendly folks of Botswana. Because they just don't figure into the everyday global culture. I live in Alabama, and you'd think we were a bunch of fundamentalists who spoke tongues, met our future spouses at family reunions, and attended Klan rallies every Friday night in the town square. I know this, because this is how we get portrayed by Hollywood and the news media. So whenever people come visit here, I get a secret pleasure when they almost unanimously say, "Wow. Well this isn't what I expected. What a cool city." Hey, I'm not saying that the 'Ham is the cultural center of the universe, but it certainly defies the stereotypes.

What's more, I'm amazed in my travels how much people from other countries resent how Americans don't know much about their countries, then they turn around and show total ignorance about ours. I live in a Southern state, but I travel to Canada a good bit on biz. Mind you, Canadians tend to have a special chip on their shoulders when dealing with Americans, especially Americans who really don't know all that much about the Great White North. Yet when they ask me where I'm from, they have no idea where Alabama is, even though Birmingham would be the fifth-largest Canadian city. I know where Alberta, Prince Edward Island, and British Columbia are. But most Canadians couldn't place Alabama on a map if their lives depended on it. And it's just not that big of a deal to me.

When I was in New Zealand a couple of years ago on a shoot, my producer innocently asked me, "Now, there aren't too many people in Alabama, right?" To that I replied, "No, not really. About five million total." To that she laughed. "Oh. In other words, your state is bigger than our entire country." It was no big deal to me. And she was further amazed that Birmingham, a middling southern city, had a metro population on par with Auckland.

So loosen up. I'm secure about where I live. How about you?

Last edited by cpg35223; 01-28-2013 at 07:31 AM..

Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
It's only cool to bash Americans if you are saying something creative.... the "Fat American" jokes were funny but now when i hear it its like "Okay kid i think its time for you to go to bed..."

Canadians have good creative jokes, i heard: What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? Multilingual. What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual. What do you call someone who speaks 1 language? American.

Problem is they would get offended when you joke around aboot Canada.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
It's only cool to bash Americans if you are saying something creative.... the "Fat American" jokes were funny but now when i hear it its like "Okay kid i think its time for you to go to bed..."

Canadians have good creative jokes, i heard: What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? Multilingual. What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual. What do you call someone who speaks 1 language? American.

Problem is they would get offended when you joke around aboot Canada.
I was with a Canadian gal - who lived in Canada... so whenever I went to go see her, and I'd hang out with her Canadian friends, there would always be some ribbing one way or the other. I referred to their slight accents and saying things like "query" as "Canucktitut" (a play on "Inuktitut," the language spoken by the Inuit/Eskimos) and they took it in stride; they'd make little jabs about me solving problems with violence or the fact I know how to line and square dance

Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
Quote:
I never have taken notice to this until now. You will find people from the U.K/Canada/Aus bashing Americans in their comedies and everyone is getting the laugh out of it and yet....Americans DO NOT BASH them in any way shape or form. I actually got this link from someone else on these forums. Their is more material out there.

Dylan Moran on Americans - YouTube

America seems to have an endless amount of comedies and not one of them says anything remotely disrespectful about them at all. In fact they never even mention them in there routines. And its just not comedy--I have taken notice to some people having bits at where they go out on the streets and ask random Americans random questions and edit in the "best" (best as in dumbest) answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo

Why is that ok ? Americans have never done anything remotely like this. My thing is. If everyone in the 'Anglo-Sphere' are supposed to be 'so close' and have SO much in common (You know all of that FAKE bull crap about being friend) why is this meet with laughs. Is it because others would like to believe that their country is just SO much more sophisticated/educated/fit. If you truly believe that everyone around you is just that much more smarter then why broadcast it on your TV. Wouldn't it simply speak for it self ?
Because if we mention something about someone eles's country a war will be started and people will sue the comedian.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 PM

13 posts, read 20,722 times
RumNCoke lighten up man. Dylan Moran ,featured in your you tube clip, is Irish. He rips his own people up as much as anyone else. We Irish have been soaking the jokes up for years and we have learned to laugh at ourselves. Dylan comes from a town called Navan. Also from that same town hails Tommy Tiernan. Now Tommy shreds us Irish everywhere he goes. It doesn't bother me one bit because it's comedy and if you can't take a bit of stick don't get out of bed in the morning. Learn to laugh more my friend and stop worrying about what other people think of America. Ye have a great country and jokes don't work if the sublect is boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World