Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 09:02 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,393 times

Advertisements

For me, it would be the Philippines, most of Russia except Moscow & St. Petersberg, the poorest/most dangerous countries in South America, all of Africa, most of the Middle East excluding Turkey and Dubai(UAE), all of Central Asia, and Eastern Europe except Czech Rep.+ Hungary, Ireland, and Iceland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 03:54 AM

994 posts, read 1,237,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I actually do have a near correct idea of what each country is like and has to offer, that is why I am certain I have no interest in most of the one's I listed.

This is the result of having an interest on maps and countries since childhood. More than enough time reading about different cultures and figuring out what their names are and where they are located in the world. You should had seen the face of my geography professor when I was in college. She would put the shape of a country on the wall (with a projector) and ask what country it was. Guess who answered most of them and correctly too? Ahem, ahem.

Having said that, there are many countries on my list that I do have a slight interest in, just not enough to warrant a visit.
And how many countries in the world have you actually visited?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:26 AM

580 posts, read 1,181,521 times
I do not understand why people are looked down upon or questioned for giving their opinions. A couple of posters in this thread stated they have zero interest in visiting the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom is one of my favorite countries in the world and London is one of my favorite cities, but I'm not going to quote them to make them feel their opinion is wrong.

My main concern when traveling abroad is safety. I want to see every country classified as first world. To this day I have traveled to an estimated thirty countries. Anyways, just my opinion.

Last edited by Ice Cream Man; 02-10-2013 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-10-2013, 11:05 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
I really wanted to participate in this hilarious thread but (a) I have a tough time finding a country that doesn't interest me, maybe Western Sahara?, and (b) it gets funnier by the day, so I just hang out here with popcorn and hope I don't choke!

"I'm not interested in visiting Berkeley because it's a communist ****hole", really?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 AM

994 posts, read 1,237,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I do not understand why people are looked down upon or questioned for giving their opinions. A couple of posters in this thread stated they have zero interest in visiting the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom is one of my favorite countries in the world and London is one of my favorite cities, but I'm not going to quote them to make them feel their opinion is wrong.

My main concern when traveling abroad is safety. I want to see every country classified as first world. To this day I have traveled to an estimated thirty countries. Anyways, just my opinion.
There's a difference between picking one or two countries that don't really rouse your curiosity (especially if that's because you see them as similar to where you already live), and stating that you're not interested in visiting the majority of the globe. Why on earth do you think people would not question your opinion? That is the whole basis of a discussion.

Being concerned for safety is not the same as having no interest in visiting a place. There are places I'm very interested in seeing but might avoid at present for various reasons. But the idea that 'first world' countries are automatically safe, and 'second world' or 'third world' unsafe, is absurd.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:49 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I really wanted to participate in this hilarious thread but (a) I have a tough time finding a country that doesn't interest me, maybe Western Sahara?, and (b) it gets funnier by the day, so I just hang out here with popcorn and hope I don't choke!
When I was in Morocco I was heading south and we could've kept going to Western Sahara, but for some reason it didn't hold all that much interest for me... I don't know why--as it's probably similar to southern Morocco-but I think they just could use a better name. Although it's better than "Moroccan-occupied disputed zone" as a tagline...

It's the same reason the Central African Republic is sort of low on my list, Cameroon sounds better.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:26 PM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I actually do have a near correct idea of what each country is like and has to offer, that is why I am certain I have no interest in most of the one's I listed.

This is the result of having an interest on maps and countries since childhood. More than enough time reading about different cultures and figuring out what their names are and where they are located in the world. You should had seen the face of my geography professor when I was in college. She would put the shape of a country on the wall (with a projector) and ask what country it was. Guess who answered most of them and correctly too? Ahem, ahem.

Having said that, there are many countries on my list that I do have a slight interest in, just not enough to warrant a visit.
Armchair travelling and reading other people opinion is not the same as actual visiting the countries and your own, personal experiences. You might form a completely new opinion about the countries, their culture, people, food, sightseeing, customs, arts and such.

Same as you were reading cookbooks and saying, oh, I know how the dishes looks like and taste, I saw them on the picture and read the recipes...

Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM

110 posts, read 281,131 times
It's not a country, but a city, and this city takes form of a hell called Dubai.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:20 PM

271 posts, read 600,713 times
As long as it is a country that would be safe to visit, I would go. Life is too short and it's a big world out there.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:46 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,319,991 times
There are so many countries (what 400+) that honestly there too many to list and some that I probably have never heard of. Of the countries that are more well known:

1. Russia
2. Venezuela
3. China (with the exception of Hong Kong)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World