Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:58 PM

994 posts, read 1,238,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Why is it a shame? I live outside Toronto and can experience most cultures of the world within a short drive of my home. When it comes to vacation, I prefer to go to places that are safe, clean and stimulating by Canadian standards, and my wife feels the same. Our experience in Cuba during our honeymoon is a perfect example as to why. It was an epic disaster from start to finish, and I ended up coming home the sickest I have been since childhood. Why the hell would I want to tempt fate like that again when there are plenty of places in the world I would not have to worry about that happening again? I should add that we married in Manhattan and had an absolutely amazing time by comparison. But there really is no place in the world quite like New York, is there?
You tell me that there's nowhere quite like New York (which there isn't - a fabulous city), but then tell me you don't need to visit most of the world because you can see it all in Toronto . If you're not interested in seeing the jungles of Borneo, or the Rio carnival, or the Taj Mahal, or the Pyramids of Giza, or the Himalayas, then that's your choice, however sad it may be - but to think you have seen the equivalent to all these because you have visited various ethnic neighbourhoods of a medium-sized North American city is too sheltered for words .

I feel sorry for you, because you were obviously stung by your bad experience - but for every horror story like yours, there are many of people who have the times of their lives. It's interesting that you speak positively of NYC, but say you wouldn't go to any 'poor' country on safety grounds. Many people would avoid NYC on the same basis, but as we all know here, it's a perfectly safe city as long as you avoid the bad areas. The same is true of most countries that might not look too safe from a distance - do your homework, and you'll be fine.

Two female friends just returned from a week in Morocco. They rode Camels in the Sahara, explored markets which they said were spotlessly clean, and stayed in traditional riads - hotels built around palm-fringed courtyards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 03:10 PM

994 posts, read 1,238,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I agree with this. I've been to over 600 cities around the world now. I truly enjoy seeing new cities and learning new cultures. I've even lived abroad for almost a decade. About the only places I don't really have any big interest in going to are a few countries in Africa, countries in the Middle East where there are conflict, especially Iran (I have NO plans to head to Iran or Iraq) and parts of India.

The rest I'm wide open to.
I can think of a few countries in the ME where there is conflict - Syria, Palestine, parts of Yemen, parts of Iraq - but there is no conflict in Iran at present to my knowledge. Last year I spoke to people who had travelled to Iran in 2011, who said it was more a more peaceful and friendlier destination than most in the region, with low levels of petty crime. Tensions between Iran and Western governments have been rising for the past year or so which possibly means there is a threat of politically-motivated detention by the state (although it is difficult to know if this is really true) - but there is no major 'conflict' or civil unrest, afaik.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,057,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I agree with this. I've been to over 600 cities around the world now. I truly enjoy seeing new cities and learning new cultures. I've even lived abroad for almost a decade. About the only places I don't really have any big interest in going to are a few countries in Africa, countries in the Middle East where there are conflict, especially Iran (I have NO plans to head to Iran or Iraq) and parts of India.

The rest I'm wide open to.
I actually enjoy Persian culture very much, sucks that Iran isn't a great place right now.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 PM

868 posts, read 1,123,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The country I've most hesitant to visit is England.

I'm not that excited to spend a lot of money in an expensive country with worse weather than the Pacific Northwest and full of pasty-faced white people with bad teeth and overpriced restaurants and hotels.

Not to say I wouldn't leap at a trip to England--but all the same, it's pretty low on my list, unless the British pound loses value and it's suddenly a bargain...
Judging you by your post, it seems that the entirety of your knowledge of England (the UK) could easily be written on the back of a postage stamp ("nothing" in really small letters). Your level of sheer ignorance is just mind blowing, too silly to even be offensive.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 PM

868 posts, read 1,123,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
I'm sure I'll get hate for this, but I have absolutely no desire to visit France. It's ironic too because my paternal great-grandparents were from the Francophone region of Switzerland and my maternal great-grandparents were from Quebec, so I'm of majority French blood.

I'm not sure if it's because of the stereotypes about the rudeness of French, the fact that France is such a cliche destination for Americans, or the fact that I don't know nor care to know the language. Either way, it just doesn't seem like anywhere I'd particularly want to visit and I'm just not turned on by Paris the way most Americans seem to be.
You don't know many French people then.

Go to France, make an effort to speak the language and not be an obnoxious American tourist and I hereby guarantee you that you will find the French to be (for the most part) very civilised, polite, well mannered, cultured and kind people.

I've experienced far more (intentional and personal) rudeness throughout the US than France.

But if you go over there as an ignoramus who refuses to speak the language and demands Outback type service in restaurants, of course you are going to think that French people are rude.

Americans go to Paris expecting a fairytale or a museum, perhaps not realising that it's also a big city with big city problems like anywhere else.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,116,964 times
Most of the Sahel and Sahara (Chad, Mali, Niger, Libya)

Belarus, Ukraine

Iraq (mainly because I can't and they've destroyed a lot of historic architecture)

Bahrain, Kuwait.etc

That's about it, really.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,543,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Judging you by your post, it seems that the entirety of your knowledge of England (the UK) could easily be written on the back of a postage stamp ("nothing" in really small letters). Your level of sheer ignorance is just mind blowing, too silly to even be offensive.
It was a obvious joke, lighten up...

It was more a jib at the posters who make blanket statements that they have no interest in traveling the entirity of Asia, Latin America, Africa and the non-European world, yet would get offended that anyone would ever say anything bad about bloody England. I've considered travelling to the British Isles before, it's just a fairly expensive location in terms of travel costs for what you get there--compared to other locations I'm more interested in.

I said as well, I'd love to go to England if I had an opportunity---I'm interested in English history(just finished reading a couple books about the War of the Roses) and I've always like English ales and football.

Last edited by Deezus; 02-15-2013 at 10:29 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,543,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I actually enjoy Persian culture very much, sucks that Iran isn't a great place right now.
Everyone I know who has been to Iran has said they've found the people to be very friendly and the culture interesting, however you can feel the more authoritarian nature of the state at many times as well... From what I've heard you have to be careful in what you say or take photos of, but in general personal interactions with the locals seem to be overwhelmingly positive.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:53 PM

492 posts, read 1,009,891 times
For me:

Mexico:
I just...don't want to! I also find Mexicans to be, on the whole, more somber people than you would expect. Obviously I can't make a sweeping statement like that without being reprimanded, but...speaking to them makes me sad. Can't explain it.

China:
It might be the American in me, but the Country scares the hell out of me. Like, EVERYTHING about it makes me uneasy...

Canada:
Boring. And snow, after the first day, is hugely overrated.

Australia:
This website has a consistent love affair with the country, and I will never know why. Loud, sunburned, racist people who drink themselves into a stupor is the very first thing that comes to my mind when anything 'Australia' comes up.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:01 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,511,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
For me:

Mexico:
I just...don't want to! I also find Mexicans to be, on the whole, more somber people than you would expect. Obviously I can't make a sweeping statement like that without being reprimanded, but...speaking to them makes me sad. Can't explain it.

China:
It might be the American in me, but the Country scares the hell out of me. Like, EVERYTHING about it makes me uneasy...

Canada:
Boring. And snow, after the first day, is hugely overrated.

Australia:
This website has a consistent love affair with the country, and I will never know why. Loud, sunburned, racist people who drink themselves into a stupor is the very first thing that comes to my mind when anything 'Australia' comes up.
Actually is sounds more like city data is your only source of information about Australia.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-16-2013 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World