Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 01:43 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times

Advertisements

I visited LA for a few days and Barcelona for a few days. Great food in both places and fabulous museums. Barcelona is not my choice for a place to live. LA is my pick, mainly because of several friends who live in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 07:34 PM

28 posts, read 73,448 times
I'm a native Angeleno and I've only travelled to Barcelona for two weekends and a full week as a tourist on holiday, so keep in mind many of my choices could change if I actually LIVED/Worked in Barcelona. That said, these are just snap assessments:

Culture: Each place has its own unique culture, but given that L.A. was once part of the Spanish Empire, I felt the comparisons instantly when I arrived in Barcelona being an Angeleno. L.A. only edges out for me because it's my native culture and I grew up in it.
Food: L.A.
Diversity: L.A.
Urbanity: Barcelona felt more like a centralized city than L.A. does. Both have massive sprawl, though.
Transit: The sprawl in Barcelona was easier to tackle through the metro and bus system, but my legs hurt like crazy trying to do things by foot. I liked their train system. Barcelona isn't as car dependent as L.A. but, if I lived in Barcelona I'd be okay without a car or could get by with a scooter, but you still need some kind of motorized transport if you're living there, it does sprawl a lot.
Beaches: L.A. beaches have much more beautiful scenery, esp. along the Santa Monica Bay. The city beaches of Barcelona were good, but the coastline in L.A. is much more dynamic to me.
Natural beauty: L.A. but Barcelona reminds me a LOT of Southern California in general. Especially the aridity and topography.
History: Barcelona. L.A. was once a part of New Spain in the Spanish Empire.
Architecture: Barcelona by FAR! We tear down things too quickly in L.A. and we don't preserve what we have. We act too much like a future city to respect our past.
Which city would you rather visit? Live? I'd rather live in L.A. and visit Barcelona.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:33 PM

233 posts, read 449,695 times
You can't compare Barcelona with Los Angeles. Barcelona is a city, LA is a big sprawl.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:49 PM

580 posts, read 1,181,304 times
I would have to go with Barcelona to visit and LA to live!

Old 05-04-2013, 10:54 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,438 times
Culture = Tie
Food = LA
Diversity = LA lol
Urbanity= LA
Transit = Barcelona
Beaches = LA lol
Natural beauty = LA lol
History = Barcelona
Architecture = Tie
Which city would you rather visit? LA Live? LA

Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 PM

580 posts, read 1,181,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Culture = Tie
Food = LA
Diversity = LA lol
Urbanity= LA
Transit = Barcelona
Beaches = LA lol
Natural beauty = LA lol
History = Barcelona
Architecture = Tie
Which city would you rather visit? LA Live? LA
You give urbanity to LA? I hope this is sarcasm.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:37 AM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Culture
Barcelona

Food
Los Angeles

Diversity
Los Angeles

Urbanity
Barcelona

Transit
Barcelona

Beaches
Barcelona

Natural beauty
Los Angeles

History
Barcelona

Architecture
Barcelona

Which city would you rather visit?
Barcelona

Live?
Barcelona

Old 05-05-2013, 11:17 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Barcelona

Old 05-05-2013, 11:43 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Culture = Barcelona
Food = LA
Diversity = LA
Urbanity= Barcelona
Transit = Barcelona
Beaches = Barcelona ( they have nude beaches )
Natural beauty = Barcelona
History = Barcelona
Architecture = Barcelona by far
Which city would you rather visit? Barcelona Live? Barcelona ( so easy to get to some of my fave parts of France )

Old 05-05-2013, 11:54 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Urbanity:

Density, city limits

Los Angeles: 3,124/km2 (8,092/sq mi)
Barcelona: 15,991/km2 (41,420/sq mi)

I haven't visited LA, so I won't rate them, but Barcelona is 5 times more dense than LA. Barcelona would be the 4th densest city in the US. Guttenberg, Union City and West New York (all in NJ) are denser. The largest city of those is Union city, pop 67k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World