Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather vacation?
Madrid 43 50.59%
Milan 9 10.59%
Toronto 9 10.59%
Sydney 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 05:38 AM

570 posts, read 510,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I KNOW Sydney is much more than those landmarks. For much of the same reasons I was trying to convey to him that Toronto is way more than a stupid tall landmark tower. I'm almost certain I would appreciate your city more for what you convey than what he does. Some token, famous or 'iconic' structures don't impress me - the REAL city always does. So for me my city actually has some gravitas and based on what YOU have written about Sydney - I believe you and I am more open to exploring how you portray your city. It sounds more interesting the way you describe it than he does. I am familiar with your posts and you are fair minded and a good source of info about the city you are from and there is nothing wrong with it! Real locals know their city best!
'
Dear Fusion2, CN Tower is not a landmark lol, it is just a stupid tower, and please stop writing ignorant comments such as "The CN view is better than the one from Sydney's opera house, YOU HAVEN'T EVER BEEN HERE. The opera house faces the harbour and it is amazing to look at the Harbour Bridge, the skyline of the city, the botanical garden, from there.

We have something similar to your CN tower, it is just a tourist trap, I have never been to the top.

There is also a similar tower like that in Auckland, Shangai and so maaaany other cities.

https://misfitsarchitecture.com/tag/cn-tower/

We are talking about Sydney as a holiday destination and of course, the city sells a lot of its landmarks, the beaches, the harbour etc just like Paris sells its Eiffel tower, amazing museums, and architecture.

And yes, Yonge- Dundas Square is a Times Sq wannabe, I was there in summer, didn't see anything cool about it. Toronto has also a lame subway and they still use paper tickets made from cardboard and someone from staff has to make it valid, seriously it is so old-fashioned... I also saw more homeless and people with mental problems in that city, but I believe that is a just thing in many North American cities.

Anyway, I couldn't care less if you visit Sydney lol. It is a great city, I would still prefer it over the other cities. I like nature, fresh air, the ocean, Australia's fauna and flora are gorgeous. I love feeling safe in a city without the fear someone will take my wallet. I also don't like seeing the army around at any major train station, museum, etc (Madrid) and nobody in Sydney will try to scam you some **** like they do in Milan, especially around the Duomo Cathedral.

Así es el primer día de alerta 4 | España | EL MUNDO

Sydney wins on this thread from my perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 09:08 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
Quote:
If you think about it - Chicago isn't a stir your soul place either.

I'd argue that Chicago is a fairly characterful place. In terms of "soul" it's actually one of the birthplaces of "soul" music!

Old 05-31-2018, 12:55 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
Quote:
You're a Sydney booster but at the same time you are open to other cities so I think it's all good. Nothing wrong with sharing info on your city. I've learned stuff about your city from your light boosting and i'm happy for it. If anyone in here can learn stuff about Toronto from me i'm happy for that as well.

I still stick by my decision that for visiting - Madrid is ahead of the class. For living i'd go with an OZ or CAD city like Sydney or Toronto... Gainful employment is always an important element of travelling around the world lol..

Fun in C/D - yup
I agree that Madrid is the best of the lot for visiting, and add like others that Milan is getting short-shrift on here. It's a pretty decent city too.

In terms of a place to live I think when you add everything up Toronto is IMO the best of the lot with a slight edge over the two Aussies. Unless someone is really, really touchy about the weather...

Old 05-31-2018, 04:51 PM

570 posts, read 510,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I agree that Madrid is the best of the lot for visiting, and add like others that Milan is getting short-shrift on here. It's a pretty decent city too.

In terms of a place to live I think when you add everything up Toronto is IMO the best of the lot with a slight edge over the two Aussies. Unless someone is really, really touchy about the weather...
Just the weather??....Toronto has lower salaries, lower quality of healthcare, worse public transportation, less holidays entitlements.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:43 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,903,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Just the weather??....Toronto has lower salaries, lower quality of healthcare, worse public transportation, less holidays entitlements.
I think the COL in Sydney and Toronto are essentially the same. Toronto is cheaper so that offsets lower salaries. I don't think this has much of an impact on the QOL in either city. You say 'worse' public transportation but you do realize Toronto is more than its subway lines - there is regional heavy rail, streetcars, busses etc. There is also a lot of transit construction going on right now actually - possibly the largest transit build in N.A and a full third TTC line is being constructed as we speak with Eglinton Crosstown.

Your hate on for Toronto is just shining here

Last edited by fusion2; 05-31-2018 at 06:11 PM..

Old 05-31-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:

I think i'd be equally happy in Australia to be honest. Madrid is just a beautiful and vibrant city. In terms of vibrancy I think only London and Paris trump Madrid in all of Europe, but I think economically it would be a harder life than what we got here or they have in OZ. Spain in general though is high on my fav places to go. I just love it! As great as Montreal and Toronto are I think the weather is definitely the biggest thorn in our cities' side. I haven't spoken of Milan because i'm just not familiar. I'd also take it easy on Sydney if not for the l'il T.O hater in here lol - he's always trying to put me in my place :P

Last edited by fusion2; 05-31-2018 at 06:30 PM..

Old 05-31-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Dear Fusion2, CN Tower is not a landmark lol, it is just a stupid tower, and please stop writing ignorant comments such as "The CN view is better than the one from Sydney's opera house, YOU HAVEN'T EVER BEEN HERE. The opera house faces the harbour and it is amazing to look at the Harbour Bridge, the skyline of the city, the botanical garden, from there.
Wait so because I haven't been to Sydney I have to acquiesce that the Opera House is a more impressive landmark than the CN Tower lol.. You smoking something good down there hun.. As I said, the CN Tower is 553 m tall and is an imposing structure. I'll take it and yes, it absolutely is a landmark for the city.

Quote:
And yes, Yonge- Dundas Square is a Times Sq wannabe, I was there in summer, didn't see anything cool about it. Toronto has also a lame subway and they still use paper tickets made from cardboard and someone from staff has to make it valid, seriously it is so old-fashioned... I also saw more homeless and people with mental problems in that city, but I believe that is a just thing in many North American cities.
Most often there are cool things going on. It is first and foremost a meeting place for community events and concerts and there is nothing wrong with that. You clearly just got a grudge against the city. It is pretty evident to me. I mean complaining about paper tickets - really.. Just lame. As for MHA's on the streets in DT Toronto - a bit of a problem but they are mostly harmless. The homeless problem in Toronto is much less pronounced than many American cities - try going to S.F - it is much more pronounced there. Part of the reason is Toronto receives a lot more migration than other CAD cities so you get the winners and the losers unfortunately.

Quote:
Anyway, I couldn't care less if you visit Sydney lol. It is a great city, I would still prefer it over the other cities. I like nature, fresh air, the ocean, Australia's fauna and flora are gorgeous. I love feeling safe in a city without the fear someone will take my wallet. I also don't like seeing the army around at any major train station, museum, etc (Madrid) and nobody in Sydney will try to scam you some **** like they do in Milan, especially around the Duomo Cathedral.
If you feel scared in Toronto you're a wimp - point blank!

P.S your wimpy tourist tower is NOT on the same level as the CN Tower. Even the Needle d Space needle is more attractive and imposing than that shorty ugly thing. Its almost as ugly as the opera house - but not quite. The CN Tower isn't pretty but she Is tall and imposing so she gets her did. At least she ain't pretendin to be some grand elegant structure like that fugly Opera House. The sails are ok but the base is just a grotesque slab.. They should have hid that thing behind the rather Sparse Sydney skyline.

P.S X2 - I would definitely visit the Sydney that City dude is presenting. Not the 'typical' reasons you are showing. He is a much better Ambassador for Sydney than you are. I hope you don't work for Sydney tourism board.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-31-2018 at 06:38 PM..

Old 05-31-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I'd argue that Chicago is a fairly characterful place. In terms of "soul" it's actually one of the birthplaces of "soul" music!
Actually Chicago is solidly my second favourite city in the U.S behind NYC. It is big, bold and just has a lot of character and wonderful attributes. It is a solid city no doubt. However, It really doesn't stir the soul like say London, Paris, Bangkok, Tokyo, NYC and many others if you think about it. I say the same for Toronto - it is a great city to visit if you like a diverse breadth of urbanity but it isn't going to draw people like those cities either. Sydney does a better job than Toronto of doing that though in terms of urbanity, I wouldn't say Sydney trumps Toronto - I just think it is more atmospheric and has the beach thing going on but on the streets and raw urbanity - I don't think Sydney bests T.O. T.O is probably more gritty..

I dunno - does Sydney have bombed out graffiti alley's like this? Asking anyone really.

In this regard maybe Toronto is more like Melbourne!?

I've agreed with you in the past as well - that Australia in general has done better in marketing itself to the world. It is simply seen as a more exotic destination even though imo Canada is a more beautiful nation.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-31-2018 at 06:12 PM..

Old 05-31-2018, 06:15 PM

Back to Toronto vs Sydney.. I think Toronto has a more substantive urban core than Sydney. While I agree Sydney wins on geographic beauty and beaches/nature by a long shot - I think Toronto's urban core is simply larger, more dense and is just more city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KBQF-gYi_E

Old 05-31-2018, 06:39 PM

518 posts, read 398,998 times
Arts - Barcelona
Architecture - Barcelona
Beaches - Barcelona
Climate - Milan
Diversity - Toronto
Downtown - Rome
Culture - Rome
Entertainment - Montréal
Events - Montréal
History - Rome
Fashion - Milan
Museum - Barcelona
Natural Beauty - Sydney
Neighborhoods - Montréal
Nightlife - Milan
Parks - Milan
Safety - Sydney
Shopping - Milan
Shows - parity for all
Sports - Toronto
Transit - parity for all
Uniqueness - Rome/Montréal
Urbanity - Toronto
Zoos - Milan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World